I have trouble using the serial interface of my calculator. I thought that the following code would output tons of 'A's, but it does not. I would be happy if anyone could help me out with this.
Code:

#include <fxcg/serial.h>

int main() {
        unsigned char writes = 'A';
        if (Serial_IsOpen() == 1) {
                Serial_Close((int)1);
        }
        unsigned char mode[6] = {0, 5, 0, 0, 0, 0};
        Serial_Open(mode);
        while(1) {
                Serial_WriteUnbuffered(writes);
        }
        return 0;
}
What are the return values of Serial_Open and Serial_WriteUnbuffered? How are you checking for the serial output? I presume you're using an adequate cable with RS232 <-> TTL level conversion, and on the software side, that the serial port is open at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit?

Is the 3-pin cable fully inserted into the calculator? (I know it appears to be a dumb question, but with new calculators it's very common that a little bit of extra force need to be applied for it to really get in the correct position).

Also, I recommend closing the serial port at the end of the program.
Both functions return a 0. I am checking for the output by using a Bus Pirate (yes, it does work). I allready was wandering if the jack or the cable is damaged, so soldered directly to the PCB, but I still can not get any output.
Do you get any output (even if just noise) when using the OS to attempt a 3-pin file transfer? What about using an add-in like fxterm which is known to work? Just trying to rule out the possibility of hardware failure on either end.
Coincidentally I am also working on Serial interface right now - so I thought I would ask if you project succeeded back then, cookie_swap?
Yes! But I almost immediately lost interest then and I do not have the code anymore. But I made a bad™ Rolling Eyes code dumper. I don't know if it works (I sends stuff, but I have not checked it for correctness). I used the INSIGHT Plugin instead. But a similar, modified version of this was able to output static strings.

Code:

static unsigned char serialMode[6] = {0, 5, 0, 0, 0, 0};

void dumpToSerial(unsigned int * startAddress, unsigned int size) {
  unsigned int i;
  if (Serial_IsOpen() == 1) {
    Serial_Close(1);
  }
  Serial_Open(serialMode);
  for (i = 0; i < size; i++) {
    while(1) {
      response = Serial_WriteSingle(*(startAddress + i));
      if (response == 0) {
        break;
      } else if (response == 2) {
        // Transmit Buffer is full, we need to wait
      } else if (response == 3) {
        PrintXY(1,2,"  Not Open",0x00,TEXT_COLOR_BLUE);
        while(1) GetKey(&key);
        break;
      }
    }
  }
}

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours