Bloody hell, Georgia. I am fine if a church can say no to performing a marriage. It's at least mildly discriminatory, but it's fine. I wouldn't want to get married in a church anyways. That is separation of church and state: but everything beyond that: bloody hell.

"Now the bill blends the Pastor Protection Act, which would enable religious leaders to refuse to perform same-sex marriages, and the First Amendment Defense Act, which critics have said would allow tax-funded groups to deny services to gays and lesbians."

The "Pastor Protection Act:" fine (so long as they don't work for the state, I see it as their loss). The "First Amendment Defense Act:" bloody hell. Denying services to any group of people just because they are a part of that group is discrimination. Jim Crow all over again.
Bloody hell, Georgia.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/19/politics/georgia-religious-freedom-bill/
I am a Catholic and I agree with you very much so. I see this post is somewhat old, but hey why not give my 2 cents?

I agree with what you are saying, if churches were somehow funded by the government, I would expect them to either cut their funding and deny service, or keep funding and perform service to gay couples.

I also think if you have a business you should be able to reject anyone (any profit) you want, so long as you aren't paid by the government.

I haven't heard of the First Amendment Defense Act before, I should look this up later.
You voted for them. You reap what you sow.
allynfolksjr wrote:
You voted for them. You reap what you sow.

First of all, the bill got vetoed (much to my pleasure).
Second of all, I'm too young to vote and won't be old enough until late May Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours