When TI released their ti84pce, it came with accessories for the classroom like its School Property calculators, as well as its ten calc charger stand seen below.

I have always wondered if there was a charger like this for a single calculator, but as far as I know, TI has been satisfied with the mini usb cable as a charger.
And so have I, until I started thinking about its potential as a project and a learning experience for me. I haven't had much experience on building my own electrical devices, so this will be new for me.
Basically, I want to build a stand charger case thingy for the TI-84 Plus CE that charges it through the ports on the bottom, similar to the method by TI's ten calc charger (bottom ports seen below).

Inspired by This topic about 3D printing batteries to power a calculator from an outlet, I have decided to 3D model this case with my intermediate 3D modeling skills, find an available 3D printer, and then work on installing electrical components to it.
I have no knowledge on how to do the last part, so that is where (I hope) cemetech will come in, by helping me know the best things to use to connect to the calcs bottom ports to charge it with, as well as finding the best (taking into account price and size) power supply information.
I haven't done any work on this just yet except making this post, but will hopefully get to work on the 3D model first, and then post pictures of that within a few days (busy w/ school, hopefully I'll find time now and then).

Meanwhile, I hope that those that have any knowledge with things like electrical components and power supplies can give me a few tips.
If it helps at all, I know it goes + on the left and - on the right on the CSE, I haven't tried this with the CE yet. That was when I was doing my solar slidecase for the CSE. I wish you the best of luck on 3D modeling, these things are not easy with all the round edges and "close-but-not-quite" measurements. Cant wait to see how it goes Smile
Update, I finished the basic case a few minutes ago. I am going to start adding spots for electrical components to go, but here is the general Idea in case anyone was wondering what I wanted it to look like (with hidden lines shown):

and here is a basic ortho with some of the most important dimensions.

I probably didn't need the fillets (at least not until later), but I felt like it.
Does anyone else use inventor for 3D modeling, or is there another program that everyone uses?
I use solidworks personally.
I like all the fillets! nice touch Smile
So how do the bottom charging ports work by the way? I've been wanting to experiment with this for a while too but I have no idea how they work and I definitely don't want to harm the calculator.
Michael2_3B wrote:
So how do the bottom charging ports work by the way? I've been wanting to experiment with this for a while too but I have no idea how they work and I definitely don't want to harm the calculator.

I don't really know too much about this, but I assume, as Botboy has said, that one of them is positive, and the other negative. With only two ports, it should be simple enough to build a charger with them. I don't know if there is anything advanced I should know, but that should do it for this project.
Caleb_Hill wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:

I don't really know too much about this, but I assume, as Botboy has said, that one of them is positive, and the other negative. With only two ports, it should be simple enough to build a charger with them. I don't know if there is anything advanced I should know, but that should do it for this project.

If so, which one is positive and which one is negative? And is it possible to overcharge with that port or does the calc have something that stops the charge once its done? And what would be a safe voltage?
Michael2_3B wrote:
Caleb_Hill wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:

If so, which one is positive and which one is negative? And is it possible to overcharge with that port or does the calc have something that stops the charge once its done? And what would be a safe voltage?

I assume that the positive and negative are the same as the CSE, although that may be a dangerous assumption. I will probably just use the voltages from USB wall charger built for the calculator, and then just readjust the wires to some ports that will connect to the calculator.
I don't know about the overcharging, I may have to look into that.
You can also pop open the calc and look at the motherboard, the + and - are usually labeled! Wink Of course that's if you're ok with voiding the warranty.
Botboy3000 wrote:
You can also pop open the calc and look at the motherboard, the + and - are usually labeled! Wink Of course that's if you're ok with voiding the warranty.

I don't think I've ever actually taken apart my CE, mostly because I don't know how to open it without a hex screwdriver. But if someone knows how, I wont have a problem with the warranty.
That's ok, I'm sure there's lots of pictures online, even maybe on on cemetech.
There you go, left is -, right is +

EDIT:: (I got it backwards Razz )
Caleb_Hill wrote:
I will probably just use the voltages from USB wall charger built for the calculator, and then just readjust the wires to some ports that will connect to the calculator.

Okay. Could you update me on what the voltage is when you get that value?

Edit: I successfully tried 5 volts, but I'm wondering how much higher you can go.
Michael2_3B wrote:
Caleb_Hill wrote:
I will probably just use the voltages from USB wall charger built for the calculator, and then just readjust the wires to some ports that will connect to the calculator.

Edit: I successfully tried 5 volts, but I'm wondering how much higher you can go.

Was that on the bottom ports? any testing with overcharging?
Caleb_Hill wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:
Caleb_Hill wrote:

Was that on the bottom ports? any testing with overcharging?

Yes, that was on the bottom ports. I took 5 volts and a ground from a DLB and connected it to the calc.

And no, I haven't tested overcharging.
So I just split open a usb cable and hooked it up to the CE via the bottom ports, plugged the usb into a 5v 2 amp charger, and with the help of some paper clips and electrical tape, got it successfully charging.
All that's left now is to finish and print the stand, precisely bend some thick wire, install it all, then solder the wires on.
Still no word on overcharging, hopefully the calc has that built in. It should, because I have charged it via some sketchy cables and ports, and left it overnight, and it is fine.

edit**- 3D modeling is done! link
Here is a grainy pic of the back end, so you can see the wacking big space I left to install hardware to actually charge the calc:
Caleb_Hill wrote:
edit**- 3D modeling is done! link
I don't believe you exported that file properly. When I import it into my 3D printing software, the model is about 0.25" long in its longest dimension.
Quote:
Here is a grainy pic of the back end, so you can see the wacking big space I left to install hardware to actually charge the calc:
Try exporting as JPEG next time.
Well, thanks to observations by KermM and jonbush and other in the chat, I have decided to remodel the stand for a few reasons:
*the current model uses a lot of material, taking up too much volume, which would make it expensive to print.
*the calculator in this stand, although it is standing upright, would want to lean forward, and would probably do so at the slightest touch from the wrong side, so I need to either make it more stable or slant backwards slightly.
*It doesn't look cool.
*the area where the actual charging ports would go is wide open so that installing charging thingies would be a pain. I am going to include slots that paper clips or something similar could fit into to make installing the charger less messy (via hot glue, tape, and things like it).
I'm not sure where I got this from, but I believe I may have gotten a TI wall adapter to a usb output for the CE when I bought it. It says input is (not surprisingly) 100-240v, and output is 5v. Hopefully that helps, unless you already knew that. Good thing that I just happened to test it with 5v initially instead of anything higher.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours