I was wondering If I could possibly take a micro controller chip (Like Arduino or Rasp Pi) or another z80 processor, to make a small device to transfer data to a calculator.

I want to be able to transfer data from this box to the TI calc using its normal receive function.

I was wondering what the best course of action would be to pursue this.
You could probably do something with Kerm's arTIcl project: https://github.com/KermMartian/ArTICL
Ivoah wrote:
You could probably do something with Kerm's arTIcl project: https://github.com/KermMartian/ArTICL

I can't seem to find any info on transferring programs, is this for use with key input and output only?
It can talk the TI link protocol, which means anything from emulating keypresses to transferring variables. This page might help in figuring out what exactly you need to send/get to transfer a program.
Ivoah wrote:
It can talk the TI link protocol, which means anything from emulating keypresses to transferring variables. This page might help in figuring out what exactly you need to send/get to transfer a program.

Thank You, I'll try to wrap my head around this.
x190 wrote:
Ivoah wrote:

Thank You, I'll try to wrap my head around this.

No problem. Be sure to post here if you get stuck/need help, and I'll see what I can do Wink
Thanks for suggesting ArTICL, Ivoah! Another relevant option might be geekboy's Silverlink clone, which lets the Arduino Leonardo act like TI's Silverlink. It uses the predecessor to ArTICL's linking routines that I wrote, and can be used with TILP and, if I recall correctly, TI Connect.
KermMartian wrote:
Thanks for suggesting ArTICL, Ivoah! Another relevant option might be geekboy's Silverlink clone, which lets the Arduino Leonardo act like TI's Silverlink. It uses the predecessor to ArTICL's linking routines that I wrote, and can be used with TILP and, if I recall correctly, TI Connect.

He specificaly mentioned "without calc or PC" so that rules out geekboy's (albeit really awesome) project.
I've been wondering if I could ever use my raspberry pie to transfer files for a while now. I remember when I first got my Pi I went crazy over finding uses for it.
If you come up with any system for the Pi, let me know!
If I recall correctly, I believe Sorunome wrote something that lets the calculator talk to an Rpi. I don't remember if it was calcnet or libticables or something else, but I'm pretty sure this was a project at some point, and should be possible.
Caleb_Hill wrote:
I've been wondering if I could ever use my raspberry pie to transfer files for a while now. I remember when I first got my Pi I went crazy over finding uses for it.

The raspberry runs TiLP just fine, so you can absolutely use it for transferring files.
Ivoah wrote:
Caleb_Hill wrote:

The raspberry runs TiLP just fine, so you can absolutely use it for transferring files.
do you know where ic can get a download? I am not very good at programming with the Pic, so coding know what file to look for.
Surely you mean the "Pi", and no programming is necessary to install TILP. You just need to use standard Linux commands to install the package; do you need assistance with that process? TILP's README no doubt will help you along in that direction. Hooloovoo, I think you're thinking of Sorunome's gCnClient binary for the Raspberry Pi, which is included in the official release.
KermMartian wrote:
TILP's README no doubt will help you along in that direction.
That strikes me as unlikely. It's a quite simple process in any case as illustrated below, where I've highlighted the one and only step.
KermMartian wrote:
Hooloovoo, I think you're thinking of Sorunome's gCnClient binary for the Raspberry Pi, which is included in the official release.

Ah yes, that's what I was thinking of.
I can't help but think that a similar thing could be done with TILP so that people without a silver/black/graylink can link stuff, but I guess it's a fairly small subset of people who would be able to use it.
Tari wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
TILP's README no doubt will help you along in that direction.
That strikes me as unlikely. It's a quite simple process in any case as illustrated below, where I've highlighted the one and only step.

Thanks for that. It never occured to me that it could be so easy. Time to break out the Ethernet cable.

KermMartian wrote:
Surely you mean the "Pi", and no programming is necessary to install TILP. You just need to use standard Linux commands to install the package; do you need assistance with that process? TILP's README no doubt will help you along in that direction. Hooloovoo, I think you're thinking of Sorunome's gCnClient binary for .

I forgot that the RPi versions of programs are almost always the Linux versions. If not for Tari's simple install, I most definitely would need a bit of help, even with the readme instructions.
Caleb_Hill wrote:
I forgot that the RPi versions of programs are almost always the Linux versions.

Well, seeing as the RasPi runs linux, of course a "raspberry pi" version would be a linux version Wink Anyways, I'm pretty sure the version of TiLP in the raspbian repos is woefully outdated, you should ask Lionel for help compiling the latest version.
As the maintainer, I can't suggest using outdated versions of the TILP stack. But the fact that distros package outdated versions is partially my fault, it's been way too long (a bit over 3 years, now) since TILP II 1.17 Smile

As I posted yesterday on #cemetech, the libti*/gfm/tilp install script is available in the tilp_and_gfm repository, with a shortlink at https://ti-pla.net/tilpinst . By now, it has worked by probably hundreds of persons, and I recently went out of my way to test and provide complete lists of build dependencies for 6 different Linux distro families.
Took a Rasp-Pi and installed Raspian Jessie Lite on it. Made it auto-login and start up a C program on startup. The C program uses WiringPi to detect if Pin 15 (wiring pi considers this to be pin 5) is 0. It then calls Main.sh in /etc/Ti/ . (Bash Script, so I don't have to recompile every time I want to change something) It uses Tilp to copy over all files within /etc/Ti/Files/ to the calc.

I Hooked a button up to the Pi and stuck it in half of a old pager wrapped in duct tape.

Sorry that is all blurry

Crappy and Blurry Album:

http://imgur.com/a/Ll9yd

Ran off a portable phone charger brick, it is perfect to put in your inner coat pocket and run the wire down the sleeve, to flash the code to your Calc during the SATs (My Case)/ other tests.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours