Sorry to interrupt this dicussion, but my Graphics card came today. I opened it and the card was in there with some sort of cord and some type of adapter thing? I don't know what to do with them. I will try to install without them and see how it goes, following your advice Kllronhj Here it goes Good Idea

Edit: Ok problem. I put the graphics card in. There's a very high pitched screaming noise that you hear everytime i start the computer. It makes me nervous. Please Help Surprised Sad

Edit2: There is some kind of plug on the inside of the card (the part not coming out of the case). Is this some sort of power cord? Do I need a certain plug to plug it in? Do I even need to plug it in? Where can I get one of these cords? Is this what is causing the noise?

Edit3: I think the cord that would fit it would look something like this. The one on the bottom that is.

Edit 4: Okay I believe I need a 4 pin female molex connector. Where would I find one in my pc? Should I just buy one? Where does the other end hook up into and with what type of cord?
Sorry about the dp, but I think this warranted it.

I finally located a molex cord and successfully plugged it in. I am now on that computer with the new card in, but I haven't installed the new drivers yet. Can someone find me a direct URL to the correct driver plz. This is my card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814140067
www.google.com >> "Apollo Geforce 6800 drivers download"
http://www.opendrivers.com/downloadopendrivers.php?href=39978
KermMartian wrote:
www.google.com >> "Apollo Geforce 6800 drivers download"
http://www.opendrivers.com/downloadopendrivers.php?href=39978

nope

@Chip: go to nvidia.com and hit download drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

follow the little menu, select Graphics Driver, then "GeForce and TNT2", then your OS

FYI Kerm and Chip (and anyone else): ALL nvidia GPU's are powered by nvidia drivers, and ALL ati GPU's are powered by ATI drivers. The actual manufacter of the card itself doesn't matter, its all still in the unified driver set by the GPU maker (which for chipmaster, is nvidia)

Oh, and chip, i believe i mentioned that you had to plug it in with a cord from your PSU Laughing

Quote:
6) don't forget to plug it in Wink (I think it requires a molex connector, the card should have one somewhere near one of the sides - look for a spare one from your PSU)
Laughing Good call on the molex.
I couldn't find a free molex for a while. I thought I didn't have a free one. Well it's all set up and running well now. If I only could ditch this motherboard...perhaps another time Very Happy
Chipmaster wrote:
I couldn't find a free molex for a while. I thought I didn't have a free one. Well it's all set up and running well now. If I only could ditch this motherboard...perhaps another time Very Happy

got your nvidia drivers installed and up and running?
Yep. Working great. I like how they have a specialized overclocking feature. I was able to over clock it to 850mhz from 700mhz, but I think I will just leave it at 700mhz for normal system operation Smile
*cough* uberblockland *cough*
Chipmaster wrote:
Yep. Working great. I like how they have a specialized overclocking feature. I was able to over clock it to 850mhz from 700mhz, but I think I will just leave it at 700mhz for normal system operation Smile

850mhz might be unstable...you need to stress test the hell out of it after every small OC bump, usually in the range of 3mhz at a time

and i wouldn't OC a new GPU - it reduces lifespan and voids the warantee - you wouldn't want to do that, now would you Wink
@ Kllrnohj:
Chipmaster wrote:
...but I think I will just leave it at 700mhz for normal system operation Smile
Smile
KermMartian wrote:
@ Kllrnohj:
Chipmaster wrote:
Smile

yes, i can read Mad

"Normal system operation" does not mean all the time, it means during normal operation - this may or may not include gaming as "normal system operation", a time when the vid card is more susceptable to crashing, overheating, and stress, and OC's give the card even more abuse

Also, overclocking the card JUST ONCE voids the warantee. So technically, chipmaster has zero warantee on that card, even if it breaks today, he is SOL (although he still could RMA it, as the company really doesn't know, unless it dies when its overclocked)

Oh, and chip, just so you know that was only the memory speed you overclocked, not the core, which is 325mhz Wink
Heh...does the card still use the mem bus speed to its capacity when it's twice the speed of the core?
KermMartian wrote:
Heh...does the card still use the mem bus speed to its capacity when it's twice the speed of the core?

But of course! the mem speed is one of the most important aspects of the vid card. You gotta remember, the GPU is a parallel processing machine, so its not like a single cored CPU, and needs all the data it can get as fast as it can
ok, in regards to my quesion earlier, which no one answered, I unistalled the TNT2 card (lost my dual monitor Sad ), and didn't even reinstall dirvers on the MX 4000 and now Blockland works again.

Moving on, I have a question on a port in my comp

I am looking at the slot above the AGP, two above the video card there. Don't laugh that is it PCI, it was free, I won't argue with it, it works great for what I do
not sure what the little mini-slot is, i think i have one on my mobo too...i've never seen anything that its used for...
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
@ Kllrnohj:
Chipmaster wrote:
Smile

yes, I can read Mad

"Normal system operation" does not mean all the time, it means during normal operation - this may or may not include gaming as "normal system operation", a time when the vid card is more susceptable to crashing, overheating, and stress, and OC's give the card even more abuse

Also, overclocking the card JUST ONCE voids the warantee. So technically, chipmaster has zero warantee on that card, even if it breaks today, he is SOL (although he still could RMA it, as the company really doesn't know, unless it dies when its overclocked)

Oh, and chip, just so you know that was only the memory speed you overclocked, not the core, which is 325mhz Wink

I just did it once just for fun. I don't really have any plans of doing it again. And by the way, this never happened... Rolling Eyes
Quote:
not sure what the little mini-slot is, I think I have one on my mobo too...I've never seen anything that its used for...

That is a CNR slot; all of my mobo's have them (yes, my comps are very, very outdated...) it's no longer useful now though; back in the day it was used exclusively for various types of networking devices and sound cards Wink
I was gonna guess 1x PCIe. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
I was gonna guess 1x PCIe. Smile

lol, no, x1 PCIe is smaller than that... (remember he has AGP? thats clue 1 that its not PCIe Wink )

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours