Ok, here's the story. My friend was making a game and he confused the data in the version he was giving out to testers. He lost the game data but still has the confused version. He has been trying for the past week to unconfuse the data (trust me, he isn't some pushover when it comes to this stuff). Now he has tasked me with the job of helping him unconfuse the data.

Here is what I need. I need the help of Cemetech to figure out how to unconfuse his game data. The source code of the confuser (thanks to ida) will be at the bottom.

Here is what I know:
* Do not worry about anything with encryption (encrypt.exe) he already figured out how to decrypt the parts that have been encrypted.
* The good stuff happens in sub_402020
* MSDN is a god with the basic winapi stuff you will find
* I have been using VS 2015 to look over the code because it gives some VERY nice tool tips on functions and variables. Use whatever you like. Razz
* It is 100% possible to find out how to unconfuse data confused with this.

Anything you are able to find out is GREATLY appreciated. Also if you are adding comments and changing variable names keep us posted so it makes it easier for others who might join along later. Wink
I will be manually unconfusing the data, all I need is your guys thoughts on how it works and how I should do it. I will also go out of my way to get the helpers the credit they greatly deserve!

I am planning on scraping together a reward for the biggest contributions, I don't know what it's going to be yet, but I plan on getting them something. Wink

If you have any questions (I am bad at explaining Razz) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ask! I really hope the geniuses of Cemetech can assist a friend and I in this issue. <3

Link to the Confuser: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9u51b3cgiibjyyt/confuser.zip

I will also be working along with you guys! I hope you also find this a fun and interesting challenge!
bumpity bump bump
Well, I'm terrible at this kind of thing due to skill-lessness(ness ness ness ness), but no one has replied yet, so hi. Smile
I believe you have posted the source code for the obfuscator. Are you trying to make a general purpose deobfuscator or deobfuscate a specific program? For the latter, we'll need the game's obfuscated code.
I'm not an expert at obfuscating or unscrambling code, but I am under the impression that we will never be able to get the original variable names back from this scrambled code, although we can get new variable names that are just as useful. I recommend you create a github page with this code so people can post their contributions to the source themselves and so you can see their progress.
KingInfinity wrote:
I believe you have posted the source code for the obfuscator. Are you trying to make a general purpose deobfuscator or obfuscate a specific program? For the latter, we'll need the game's obfuscated code.
I'm not an expert at obfuscating or unscrambling code, but I am under the impression that we will never be able to get the original variable names back from this scrambled code, although we can get new variable names that are just as useful. I recommend you create a github page with this code so people can post their contributions to the source themselves and so you can see their progress.
Good ideas, I will explain this better and add that github page tomorrow.
The only thing in this thread that is confused right now is you (slick1015) and I. The reason for this is due to the fact that you are using the word confused incorrectly. Data cannot be confused because it is not living and thus is not capable of a state of confusion.

I think the word you mean to use is either encrypted or obfuscated. Is that correct?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours