Over the last 3.5 years we've hosted a Minecraft server on Cemetech and this coming weekend, March 19th and 20th, will likely see the end of a defining 2 year stretch of our current Minecraft server when we start all over with Minecraft 1.9. Over those 3 years we lacked a suitable place on the forum to post about, share and, discuss anything related to Minecraft. Topics started to loosely spring up the Freebuild sub-forums and we eventually renamed that sub-forum "FreeBuild, LEGO & Minecraft" and called it done.

For the most part, it worked. Minecraft 1.7 was the first time we really got serious with the forum posting so we didn't require a large sub-forum to differentiate between anything. However, on the eve of our 1.9 launch something needed to be done. How were we going to separate topics regarding the new server version from the old? I can't take all the credit for the reorganization but it was in the back of my mind. So after I finished my real life obligations last night I decided to buckle down on Saturday.

I started by renaming the category from "Building with Blocks" to "Play @ Cemetech" and creating new sub-forums for Minecraft, Unreal Tournament and, Other Games. The rest of my Saturday was spent going through the now strictly Freebuild sub-forum and moving all the topics to their appropriate sub-forums. Under Minecraft we have a sub-sub-forum for Cemetech Server Versions 1.8 and 1.9. When 1.9 is released for our netizens to play on all 1.8 topics will be locked. Our Minecraft Mods will continue to moderate the game and the sub-forum. With the "Other Games" addition, we have a dedicated area to bring up games we play and would like others to play with us. If it becomes a regular activity amongst our community it may even get a dedicated sub-forum.

I hope this makes it easier for those who are on our forums for Minecraft, FreeBuild and, other interests to more easily pursue their desired topics. I'll be looking at what other parts of the forum I can reorganize and expand upon in the coming months. If you guys have suggestions about categories and sub-forums that would better cater your interests outside of calculator programming - Such as a web programming or 3D Printing/Design - let me know in a PM or in this topic. With more sub-forums and categories comes increased opportunities to become a moderator; I'm always keeping eye out for users to help us moderate Cemetech!
Thank you very much for performing this well needed action, comic.

I've sent KermMartian a message in private, but for the purposes of public documentation I'm applying to be a moderator of the UT2004 subforum, given I'm already an administrator of the server.

edit: Thanks!
No UTGOTY sub-forum. Sad Best UT ever Very Happy
There wasn't enough UT posts to support deeper sub-forums. For now UT99 through the newest UT made with UE4 should be posted there. If there's a growth of one I'll make a sub-forum for that version.
Cemetech only has a server for the best version of UT.
Just moved an additional handful of gaming threads (Starcraft 2 and AoE 2 in particular) to the new forum. If anyone remembers others that belong there, please ping an admin.
A while back (May 14, 2014) I made this banner for Play @ Cemetech, but at that time it didn't really have a home. Now it does, so I think we should use it on the Play tab page. I can add in more UT players thanks to the wonders of disabled anti-aliasing; the entire image is neatly layered to be fully modifiable. The 1.7 server was still a bit newish at the time I made this, and we are now finishing the 1.9 map; I'll need a new screenshot for the Minecraft side, at a strange resolution of 853x625.
* CVSoft looks at Elemental

Also, the subforums should be listed as 'Discussion' instead of 'Help', given there are very few help threads compared to discussion threads. A stats page link for the UT2004 server does exist (as of Cemetech-NG \o/), via Epic Games' official stats server. There's also a GameTracker page containing uplink information; KermMartian, you should claim the server so we can see player statistics and link Cemetech from that page.

I'm designing a page for ut.cemetech.net at the blistering pace of a Pentium 4-M, so I'm not going to nag about that yet.
Relatedly, this emphasizes my desire to include Category information in the navigation breadcrumbs. There's no way to get directly back to Play @ Cemetech from any of its topics or forums.
A minor thing, but the description of the UT2004 forum doesn't accurately describe its intentions and contents. It should be something like "Discussion of Unreal Tournament and Cemetech's UT2004 server."
CVSoft wrote:
Also, the subforums should be listed as 'Discussion' instead of 'Help', given there are very few help threads compared to discussion threads. A stats page link for the UT2004 server does exist (as of Cemetech-NG \o/), via Epic Games' official stats server. There's also a GameTracker page containing uplink information; KermMartian, you should claim the server so we can see player statistics and link Cemetech from that page.
All done, including claiming the server and also adding the GameTracker link for our Minecraft server to that page. I suppose we'll also want a PlanetMinecraft link or something?

Quote:
I'm designing a page for ut.cemetech.net at the blistering pace of a Pentium 4-M, so I'm not going to nag about that yet.
Can't wait to see it! I have Elemental, tifreak8x, and comicIDIOT working together on a similar page for mc.cemetech.net.
Question, how hard would it be to have something do a search on youtube once a day for the tag Cemetech-MC, and display related links? We're making a bigger push for recording and the like, thought that that might help if we have a page with links to videos (or embedded videos?) that shows up via the Minecraft area of Play Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
Can't wait to see it! I have Elemental, tifreak8x, and comicIDIOT working together on a similar page for mc.cemetech.net.

What? I thought we were to work on a paragraph not a web page as mc.cemetech.net redirects to cemetech.net/play?
Paragraph, webpage, same difference, because you also were going to throw the rules and philosophy and major plugins in, as I recall. Smile I'll put some screenshots under the paragraph and call it a page.
The redirection of ut.cemetech.net to www.cemetech.net/play is causing issues with the UT2004 server. When a client goes to download a file on the map redirect, it'll make an HTTP request to ut.cemetech.net/maps/[filename].uz2, and it will whine if it receives anything but the file. It's now redirecting to www.cemetech.net/play/maps/[filename].uz2, which does not exist and really shouldn't.
Fixed.
It's redirecting still. UT2004 does not know how to handle that.
I have two requests about Play @ Cemetech in general, one dependent on the other:
1) a category under Play @ Cemetech for Play @ Cemetech itself, for discussion pertaining to the operation of Play @ Cemetech that is not about any one particular server, and
2) a requirement for public ban appeals, and for such ban appeals to be made in a category under (1).
It may be of use to consider the model we've historically used for bans on the forum itself.
CVSoft wrote:
I have two requests about Play @ Cemetech in general, one dependent on the other:
1) a category under Play @ Cemetech for Play @ Cemetech itself, for discussion pertaining to the operation of Play @ Cemetech that is not about any one particular server

Before I go making another board, how exactly would this be used? We're a relatively small player base amongst the community, so much so that I don't think we need a board dedicated to topics about who should or shouldn't be moderator or, what does require a dedicated sub-forum. Another caution is that more boards under P@C is just more areas for users to post the wrong topic to. Not that it's the biggest deal in the world but I would not like to confuse our members on where they should post.

Thirdly, I think my biggest issue with this is my assumption. I have no idea how a P@C sub-forum would work or operate, so I assumed the above. So if I could get your plan or reasoning behind why such a sub-forum should exist it'll help me get on the same page as you.

Quote:
2) a requirement for public ban appeals, and for such ban appeals to be made in a category under (1).

I see public appeals as embarrassing so I'm with elfprince. Players have PM'd myself to lift their ban, which I did. With the MC 1.9 server, I'll partner with my MC moderators for ban appeals, posting in our group Skype Chat.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours