I downloaded FctPoly2 to make some of my math homework slightly faster than usual and as a way to check my factoring. When I downloaded this program, I came across a slightly confusing menu. I found a single post on eHow ( http://www.ehow.com/how_5690141_factor-polynomials-ti_83-plus.html#comment-2102767015 ) about using this calculator program, but couldn't find any other resources. So I was wondering how I would use this program to factor a polynomial such as "2x^5 + x^4 - 16x^3-15x^2" (the example polynomial on the ticalc download page http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/202/20283.html) or a polynomial with only two terms, such as "x^2-36".
I definitely understand why you think this is confusing.
I messed up the first time I tried it out Smile

First Example: 2x^5 + x^4 - 16x^3-15x^2
1)The degree is 5 because the highest exponent is 5.
2)Coef. of X^5 is 2, because 2 comes before X^5
3)Coef. of X^4 is 1, because there is no coefficient, so there is only one X^4.
4)Coef. of X^3 is -16, because the number before X^3 is subtracting 16, which is the same as adding negative 16
5)Coef. of X^2 is -15 for the same reason as above.
6)Coef. of X and Coef. of const are both 0 because they do not appear in the expression.
7) Hit enter.

For the second example, the degree is 2, coef of X^2 is 1, coef of X is 0 and Const. is -36.

It might also be important to note that this is programmed for monochrome calcs, so it'll display weirdly on color.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours