hi i need some help here Razz i'm not good with tech but i read some topics so i hope this is the right place. i had a ti 89 graphing calculator and i didn't touch it in a couple months and the battery leaked acid. i took them out and washed off the acid with water and i ended up washing the sticker off, and at first it would not start but finally it did. however then i tried to wash some sharpie marker off the screen (i know..) and i think either water got under it or i pressed too hard because the screen has a blank space going across like a line and the display is messed up (it still functions though). also the keys are really sticky but i don't remember spilling anything on them, did they just get dirty or is it the battery acid? maybe some water got in them?

i know i did a terrible job of taking care of this calculator Rolling Eyes which stinks because it was a ti 89... anyway is it still salvageable? i bought a new one now but i still wonder if i can ever get this to work, because it is still functioning, just the display is messed up and the keys are sticky.

if not i learned my lesson at least, not to be so careless and start taking care of my stuff from now on Graphing Calculator (although i usually do)
ONE MORE THING, i have a 83+ and the '0', '3', and '.' keys are sticky and stiff, not sure how to explain it but they are hard to press and when i do press i hear a metallic noise like a vibrating spring, and after that they just feel pretty sticky. i have tried cleaning the keys by sticking a hard piece of paper around them inside the gap and got some gunk out but i think that is going to damage them, anything else i can do?
You'll want to disassemble the calculator, remove the circuit boards from the housing, and use cotton swabs + some water/isopropanol to clean the keys, the key holes in the front housing, and the rubber key mat. There's instructions on this all over the forums, I trust that someone can find them before I can.
CVSoft wrote:
You'll want to disassemble the calculator, remove the circuit boards from the housing, and use cotton swabs + some water/isopropanol to clean the keys, the key holes in the front housing, and the rubber key mat. There's instructions on this all over the forums, I trust that someone can find them before I can.

hmm...what Question

looks like

helpp i put it in a bag of rice because i heard that absorbs moisture, what else can i do...
confusedbanana wrote:
helpp i put it in a bag of rice because i heard that absorbs moisture, what else can i do...

I don't think putting it in rice would help, the rice thing is for electronics that have just been accidentally dropped/dipped in water and are immediately placed in rice to get the moisture out asap, however, the rice will unfortunately not fix water damage haha. Your best bet really is to open it up and try carefully cleaning it.
mr womp womp wrote:
confusedbanana wrote:

I don't think putting it in rice would help, the rice thing is for electronics that have just been accidentally dropped/dipped in water and are immediately placed in rice to get the moisture out asap, however, the rice will unfortunately not fix water damage haha. Your best bet really is to open it up and try carefully cleaning it.

ok so when you say clean it, do you mean about the keys, or will it fix the screen too? do you recognize whats wrong with the display and are there any instructions to take it apart?
I'm pretty sure that's an issue with the ribbon and you'd need to solder it. There are also plenty of forums for that as well.

Someone else should back me up, though. I'm not 100% sure that I'm right.
confusedbanana wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:
confusedbanana wrote:

ok so when you say clean it, do you mean about the keys, or will it fix the screen too? do you recognize whats wrong with the display and are there any instructions to take it apart?

Yes, I can see that the screen is not in perfect condition. Cleaning out the keys may fix the sticky keys problem, but it definitely won't fix the screen. Fixing the screen, as stated by GTemples27 would probably require you soldering onto the ribbon cable. You may want to have a look at this topic for more information on that.
GTemples27 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's an issue with the ribbon and you'd need to solder it. There are also plenty of forums for that as well.

Someone else should back me up, though. I'm not 100% sure that I'm right.

You've been here longer than I have but to date, all the problems of missing lines of pixels I've seen have been related to damaged ribbon cables, although I've never seen it on a ti-89.
The screen damage is not repairable. Given the TI-89 Titanium's internals are essentially one piece, it's best to replace the calculator.
Give it to me, I can repair ribbon cables but there is a fair chance that I will kill it entirely. I did successfully fix flatflex ribbon cables in the past. I have a hot air station and a good soldering iron.
ok, i've pretty much given up on this anyway...was going to throw it out. putting it in rice just made the keys even harder to press lol. i will at least read the instructions for dissassembling the ti 83 so i can see how hard it is to clean the keys, might just have to live with it

thanks
confusedbanana wrote:
ok, i've pretty much given up on this anyway...was going to throw it out. putting it in rice just made the keys even harder to press 0x5. i will at least read the instructions for dissassembling the ti 83 so i can see how hard it is to clean the keys, might just have to live with it

I will pay you shipping if you sent it to me and if I may keep it.
The 89

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours