80:20
 12%  [ 2 ]
85:15
 0%  [ 0 ]
90:10
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

lirtosiast wrote:
What about, for the first challenge, sorting a list of length 256 without builtins?

Sounds good! How about this? Your program must sort 10 times a random list of length 256. After that, your score will be time in seconds*size in bytes. The lower your score, the better.
For more challenges, it seems fine to create programs that replaces such build-in functions Smile
I'm in, too Smile
I understand the aim is to sort a random list of length 256 without using any SortA( , SordD( ...But why 10 times ?
And how ? In increasing or decreasing order ?
grosged wrote:
I'm in, too Smile
I understand the aim is to sort a random list of length 256 without using any SortA( , SordD( ...But why 10 times ?
And how ? In increasing or decreasing order ?

To get a better view of the speed of your program. With 1 list, you can have pure luck, and do that very fast. If this becomes the first challenge, in increasing order (although I think that wouldn't matter for the speed)
I'm very happy to say that I'm leading this competition in pure BASIC. People have to create an algorithm for doing stuff. As I'm participating too, I want to ask you not to send your programs to my e-mail. I will create either 5 or 10 tasks, what people will. Thus after 5 or 10 weeks, you have to send all your programs to me, and I will judge them all Very Happy

Rules
- Every weeks comes a new task; I will post that in this thread
- Programs will be executed on the TI-84+CE. You can use every command that is available on that calc
- Your score is mostly defined on speed, not size (see below for the scoring details)
- Don't post in any threads your code, or parts of. Also, don't steal of others
- You don't have to post that you're participating.
- After the last task, I will post how to submit all the challenges. If I have enough time, you can expect the results in 2 weeks after the closing date.
- You don't may use libraries, or ASM or whatever. Just. Pure. BASIC.

Scoring
The one with the lowest time, have 70 points. The others are getting these points:
time/best_time*70
The same with speed, the smallest program gets 30 points, the others like
size/smallest_size*30
So you CAN earn 100 points for each task

Prizes
Forever glory and honor, and if Kerm is willing to, official userbars too

Task 1
Create an algorithm that sorts a list in increasing order, which is both in Ans and L1. No usage of SortA( and SortD( of course Wink. The dimension of that list is always 256, and are integers (not complex numbers) > 0 and <= 256. The time is the amount of seconds your program take to sort 10 random lists of 256 elements. Everyone get's the same input. Output should be the 256 integers in L1, incremented sorted
Your program will be tested like this:

Code:
{56,1,9,46,69...->L1
prgmSORTA

Good luck with it! If you have any questions, please post!
Count me in, please! (I'm using a TI-84+ CE)
1st try: Failed. It couldn't process the list if a number was missing, which, 100% of the time, was true. Sad
2nd try: Also failed, but I was getting there. Smile
3rd try: Success! Very Happy
1 minute and 36.81 seconds (timed with my watch) to process 256 list elements once.
Size: 89 bytes with name SORT3
It'll be interesting to compete against some of the best calc programmers in the world Smile
(And I'm STV :p)
I would like to compete, but I dont think I will do very well. : P
Clarification: which version of the OS are we targetting? There are several potentially useful new functions introduced in the MP versions.
elfprince13 wrote:
Clarification: which version of the OS are we targetting? There are several potentially useful new functions introduced in the MP versions.

Good question. I have the lastest OS: 5.1.5.0019
Oh whoops, I missed that this is executing on the CE. Smile
Well, I did a program, which is pretty light (<90 o) but really, really slow (almost 2-3 minutes in CEmu 500% speed Razz).
EDIT : 91 octets exactly with the name SORTA Smile
Here are my programs so far.

Times are to sort a single randInt(1,256,256) on 84+ 2.55MP on jsTIfied.

Sizes are not counting the name or VAT header.

I don't own a CE ROM, but maybe I'll borrow a friend's calc to test. Version numbers listed are letters for different approaches, numbers for revisions.

Code:
Vsn   Time(s)  Size
A1    9.5      86
A2    9.0      78
A3    5.5      79
A4    5.0      79

Edit: New approach! This one's worse, but more interesting.

Code:
Vsn   Time(s)  Size
B1    41       ~300
I currently have 1 min 32 seconds on a CSE so I would assume a considerable speed boost on the CE, the code is 51 bytes though, however, this is just a first try... oh and wtf lirto I surely won't be getting in that range as far as speed goes, but I can't wait to see your entry Very Happy
Eeehhh. I'm not down for straight algorithms.
I'm now at about the 9 seconds on the CE, maybe I can speed it up Smile
I hope you all like this task!
Wow Surprised How did you do that ? I am really a n00b Razz
StarTrekVoyager wrote:
Wow Surprised How did you do that ? I am really a n00b Razz

Np, this is only task 1 Wink
Still at 6 minutes on CEmu at 100% speed (real spd)even using [recursiven] and finance variables, and exactly 96 octets :/
I'll join!
Mine doesn't even finish yet...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours