...for Partial Edge Control, I usually do that intuitively. No algs. I'm actually not sure that's the right way to say it, it's just a way to get EOLL done before F2L is done. I also am sometimes able to get an OLL skip with this method, but this is unlikely.
My personal best is just over 36 seconds, but that was on a Rubik's cube brand cube, and the beginners seven step method.
my best time for the 4x4 is around 8 or 9 minutes, I don't know the exact number.
Is there anyone who solves other kinds of cubes? 'cuz i own (and can solve) the 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, skewb, mirror cube, fluctuation angle cube, windmill cube, void cube, 3x3x9, and megaminx. i have also solved up to a 9x9 on a simulator. i know how to solve up to the 17x17, but i have never physically done it.

my fastest times:
2x2: 30sec
3x3: 50sec
4x4: 4min
5x5: 6min
6x6: 10min
skewb: 10sec

i have a rubiks clock as well, but i can't solve it yet
Well, I once received the Rbuik's clock, which was pretty awesome haha. Very easy though
Pieman7373, you have 30 seconds for 2x2x2? Excellent, but I think you could do better Wink Have you considered learning the Ortega method? It is the one I currently use (I have never timed myself, though, since I don't have a 2x2x2. I use my 4x4x4 and pretend :'( ).
Pieman7373 wrote:
Is there anyone who solves other kinds of cubes? 'cuz i own (and can solve) the 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, skewb, mirror cube, fluctuation angle cube, windmill cube, void cube, 3x3x9, and megaminx. i have also solved up to a 9x9 on a simulator. i know how to solve up to the 17x17, but i have never physically done it.

I can also solve anywhere from a 2x2 to 17x17; after all, it's not that bad at all, just time-consuming! I can also solve a mirror and an x-cube; I haven't had the opportunity to solve any others, but my friend is going to let me borrow his Void, so that shouldn't be too hard. Really, really want a Pentaminx though, but they are WAAAY too expensive and blah.

EDIT: And by the way, funny story, guys. So, I cube in my math class, and my teacher looks at me today and says, "You know, my son's gotten into solving those things and now I have to deal with you guys [me and my best friend; sometimes another friend does them too] doing it at school and at my house. He [the son] obsessed with those things now, timing himself and wants this thing called a speedcube or something."

My friend and I just looked at each other and laughed and carried on cubing.
GTemples27 wrote:
EDIT: And by the way, funny story, guys. So, I cube in my math class

*snip*

Heh, I wish. I've warned all my friends that we shouldn't be cubing in class because we don't want to get cubes banned (unlikely in a high school, but happened to some kids I met at a competition).

Pieman7373 wrote:

What's a fluctuation angle cube? I've never heard of that!

I have owned and/or solved...
• 1x1 - PB is sub-zero
• 2x2 - I use Ortega, roughly 7-sec average
• 3x3 - Meiying, hopefully I'll be able to repair my Hualong at some point
• 4x4 - Had a Shengshou v3 for a while, then traded it for an Aosu at a competition but lost the Aosu on the way home. Sad I've heard Yuxin makes good 4x4s, so I might get one of those, but I really don't like big even cubes anyway.
• 5x5 - Currently use a Huachuang, but again, apparently Yuxin's cubes are better (and cheaper). Still, the Huachuang is good enough that I'm satisfied.
• 6x6 - I never actually owned a 6x6, but one of my friends got an Aoshi and let me borrow it for a day. Unfortunately, during edge pairing the centers got misaligned and it went nuclear. I brought back the pieces in a plastic bag (I did have all of them!) and he said he wasn't annoyed because it had happened to him before too. Now you know one of the (many) reasons I hate big even cubes.
• 7x7 - I had a Shengshou 7x7 for a while and averaged around 15 minutes, then bought an Aofu at a competition and instantly I dropped to sub-10. Aofus are freaking amazing. I trust it to pop less than my Huachuang.
• Pyraminx - I had a Shengshou pyraminx, then lost it, then bought a Moyu pyraminx, and I don't know what happened to that. I'm really good at keeping track of things!
• Megaminx - I had a stickerless Dayan megaminx with ridges, then traded it for a stickered Dayan megaminx without ridges. I can solve it using F2L and some combination of modified 3x3 algs and intuitive commutators for the last layer. I really don't like megaminx; it's very tedious.
• Square-1 - Why is this even an official event? I had a CubeTwist Square-1 and sold it to save up for my Aofu. It wasn't that great, but from what I could tell the alternative brands were no better. I never timed myself on Square-1, but with just the algorithms in front of me I could solve it. Memorizing square-1 algs is really hard!
• Mirror cube - I had one for a while, and could solve it sub-60 using F2L. It's not too difficult.
• Curvy copter - At competitions, there always seems to be someone walking around with a jumbled curvy copter asking if anyone knows how to solve it. I don't own one, but my friend taught me and it's pretty fun. If you are planning on learning to solve a curvy copter, DO NOT jumble it until you are confident solving it without jumbling. Jumbling moves on the curvy copter cause weird parity issues that aren't too difficult to resolve, but you don't want to have to deal with that your first solve.
• Mixup cube - Someone taught me how to solve it at a competition. The mixup cube isn't as hard as it looks, but it is a nice challenge. The turning was absolutely horrendous, maybe because it was a v1, though I doubt the v2 is significantly better. If they make one roughly the quality of the mirror cube, I might get one.
• Void cube - I never actually owned one, but it's not too difficult if you know the parity (or you just keep solving it until you don't get any parity. Razz)
• Sudoku cube - DO NOT BUY THIS. One of my friends did, and I had to try to solve it. Firstly, it turns like a cheap picture cube. You're better off just getting the stickers and throwing them on a Guanlong. Secondly, it took me a few weeks of working on it during lunch before getting it to a state in which the only parity was a single center twisted 90°. I gave up at that point.

I think that's it. What cubes have the rest of you owned/solved?
I'm not a cuber, but I have one of those Sudoku cubes, and all the stickers fell off right away.
I'm learning the CFOP method and it's hard to let go of a sub minute record.
Eightx84 wrote:
I'm learning the CFOP method and it's hard to let go of a sub minute record.

Do you have a speedcube yet? If not, I recommend either the Aolong (v1 or v2) or, if you're on a budget, the Guanlong.

Found this video shared via facebook. This should appeal to both cubers and hardware enthusiasts alike. Robot built to solve a cube right at 1 second.
This is insanely fast!!!!
tifreak8x wrote:

Found this video shared via facebook. This should appeal to both cubers and hardware enthusiasts alike. Robot built to solve a cube right at 1 second.

Cool! This would certainly be entertaining to just sit and watch!

Other business: New record of 19.3 seconds, and it was non-lucky! Pure skill right there! My average is now from 26-32 second (ao5).
Do you know if that cube solving bot figures out how to solve the cube, like cubestormer, or do you have to tell it what to do?
I'm guessing the camera sees what blocks are up on the various sides, and it calculates what needs to go where? I'm not sure on any details, would be best poking them on their video comments section and see if they respond.
I think that is what cubestormer does.
It certainly seems that the bot is programmed with many algs and thus solves the cube itself. If you told it what to do, it most likely wouldn't need those cameras.
Okay, i just didn't notice the cameras when i watched the video.
Hmmmm... bump.

Just in case anybody cares, I've dropped my best time to 16.16 sec, and my current average is ~24sec.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours