I have been using my calculators extensively and have noticed a variety of bugs and inconsistencies. In order to make sure that my programs are compatible with the various operating systems that TI provides for their calculators, I try to keep a copy of each version for testing. Recently I was grading entries for Cemetech Contest 15 when I noticed a bug in the TI-OS 4.0. Before reporting this bug, I wanted to verify that it had not already been fixed in the release of OS 4.2. I navigated to education.ti.com to download the new operating system, but I was unpleasantly surprised when it was absent from the search results.

Surprisingly, OS 2.55MP for the TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition is still available from the TI Education. Although the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition is not the latest model - and is considered by many to be underpowered for the addition of a color LCD display - it is still owned and used by many students worldwide. The new operating system does not fix any of the previously known bugs, but it does include enhanced support for the TestGuard app which protects against modified operating systems.

It is possible that TI is ending support for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition calculator in favor of the newer TI-84 Plus CE; however, removing downloads for a calculator that is still available is not an effective way to achieve this goal. Until the operating system is restored to education.ti.com, users will be forced to look elsewhere for the download.
CodeWalrus noticed this and much more. The TI-89 OS has also been removed. The TI-83 Plus OS was at one point removed but it's reported to be back. I really hope TI isn't planning any planned obsolescence with this.
Hmm, thanks for noting this, jonbush (and CodeWalrus via TI-Planet, it seems). I do hope that they're not discontinuing support for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition any more than they already have in shifting almost all focus to the TI-84 Plus CE, and removing support for the venerable TI-89 would be unfortunate indeed. I've reached out to see if there's any official word about this.
*bump* I have the following comment that I really hope is intended for general consumption:
Quote:
We are not discontinuing support of any TI products. As regular maintenance of our website, we removed the operating systems for products that are not currently available through dealers or retailers. Customers who are experiencing issues with any TI calculator can call 1-800-TI Cares for troubleshooting and to get the latest OS for their product – including the TI-89 and TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition.

We do still support those products and encourage customers to call us when they need support.
This also means that TI believes the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition and TI-89 are no longer available for sale anywhere, if I understand correctly, although I do think I saw a few of each when I was last at Target, Walmart, and similar stores.
I'm unsure if requiring customers to call TI customer service just to get an OS is a good idea. Wouldn't it be more productive of their time to have a legacy section with the latest OS for discontinued models, so that people who lose their OS or need to update don't have to wait a day or more for an e-mail?

Also the CSE has not been available since last Summer over here at Staples. They only have the TI-83+, 84+, 84+CE, 89T and fx-CG10.
Can someone post the 8cu file on the cemetech archives PLEASE!!!!! Need it for wabbitemu...
Will be thankful to whoever does that!
CalcMax wrote:
Can someone post the 8cu file on the cemetech archives PLEASE!!!!! Need it for wabbitemu...
Will be thankful to whoever does that!

PT_ has Google
PT_ uses Google to search for TI-84+CSE OS
PT_ sees a link to the TI Planet Archives
PT_ opens the link and downloads the CSE OS
Be like PT_ Smile
Hey guys, just found OS 4.0 Smile)) Comes with ti connect!
CalcMax wrote:
Hey guys, just found OS 4.0 Smile)) Comes with ti connect!

For what calculator? I didn't think that OS's came with TI Connect
TI-Connect 1.6 and older definitively came with OS files. I don't know about TI-Connect CE, though, so it would still be a good idea to download TI-Connect (the original, not TI-Connect CE) and stock up in OS files before TI removes that software from their site.
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* I have the following comment that I really hope is intended for general consumption:
Quote:
We are not discontinuing support of any TI products. As regular maintenance of our website, we removed the operating systems for products that are not currently available through dealers or retailers. Customers who are experiencing issues with any TI calculator can call 1-800-TI Cares for troubleshooting and to get the latest OS for their product – including the TI-89 and TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition.

We do still support those products and encourage customers to call us when they need support.
This also means that TI believes the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition and TI-89 are no longer available for sale anywhere, if I understand correctly, although I do think I saw a few of each when I was last at Target, Walmart, and similar stores.

I'm imagining this right now:
"Yes, can I talk to a representative? I think I bricked my calculator, I need to download the 84+CSE operating system."
"Have you tried turning the calculator off and on again?"
"Yes, it doesn't work. Now just give me the OS files please..."
"All right. Now go to your computer and open up Internet Explorer, not Firefox or Chrome, just Internet Explorer..."

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours