To mark the publication of Using the TI-84 Plus, Second Edition, I'm happy to announce a new video series, "Using the TI-84 Plus CE". Based on the chapters in Using the TI-84 Plus, each video will introduce key calculator skills that students need to know to use their calculators efficiently for math, science, and even programming. Throughout the video series, you'll learn:
  1. Basic calculator skills, arithmetic, simple trig (Chapter 2)
  2. Basic graphing (Chapter 3)
  3. Using variables, matrices, and lists (Chapter 4)
  4. Parametric, polar, and sequence graphing (Chapter 5)
  5. Precalculus: imaginary numbers and trig (Chapter 6)
  6. Calculus: derivatives and integrals (Chapter 7)
  7. An introduction to statistics and probability (chapters 8 & 9)
  8. Financial tools (Chapter 10)
  9. Programming (Chapter 11)
Each video will give a brief introduction to vital calculator skills, then direct you to the relevant section(s) in the book for more information. I hope you enjoy Part 1 (linked below), and I'd welcome feedback, comments, and suggestions.

View the Series
Using the TI-84 Plus CE video series

Awesome. This will reach an even larger audience. Smile Is there a video series for your other book, by the way? Smile
DJ_O wrote:
Awesome. This will reach an even larger audience. Smile Is there a video series for your other book, by the way? Smile
Thank you! There is not, but if I get a chance, I'd love to make one, especially with other upcoming projects to promote programming with graphing calculators (like Maker Faire and so on).
Indeed, this is awesome. Will there be links in your books pointing to these videos for the color calculator users?
Unicorn wrote:
Indeed, this is awesome. Will there be links in your books pointing to these videos for the color calculator users?
Unfortunately, no, but I'll ask Manning to add links on the book's Manning Publications page to the video series when it's complete.
*bump* I have released the second video in the series, showing how to perform basic graphing tasks:

Thanks, KermMartian,

I cannot wait to see the last chapter Programming - are you planning to release them in strict order or can I hope to see this one sooner?

Kind regards,

A~nka
amazonka wrote:
I cannot wait to see the last chapter Programming - are you planning to release them in strict order or can I hope to see this one sooner?
I'm afraid I'm planning to release them in strict order. However, because they're based quite strictly on the chapters of "Using the TI-84 Plus", you can get a sneak preview by just reading the programming chapter in the book. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
amazonka wrote:
I'm afraid I'm planning to release them in strict order. However, because they're based quite strictly on the chapters of "Using the TI-84 Plus", you can get a sneak preview by just reading the programming chapter in the book. ;)
I'm planning to get the book once I have a TI calculator for this. Regarding their emulator - if I download their demo version - do you know what restrictions it has, i.e. will it be limiting any functionality or just time restrictions?
amazonka wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
amazonka wrote:
I'm afraid I'm planning to release them in strict order. However, because they're based quite strictly on the chapters of "Using the TI-84 Plus", you can get a sneak preview by just reading the programming chapter in the book. Wink
I'm planning to get the book once I have a TI calculator for this. Regarding their emulator - if I download their demo version - do you know what restrictions it has, i.e. will it be limiting any functionality or just time restrictions?
It's just a time restriction. One would hope that in three months or so we'll have an emulator of our own (namely jsTIfied with TI-84+CE support), but no guarantees.
Nice! I like how it aligns with the literature - smart move Smile.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Nice! I like how it aligns with the literature - smart move Smile.
Thanks! I noticed that the first video already is inching towards 2,000 views, so I need to get cracking on making more of these. Do you think that the book is sufficiently promoted in the two I've made so far, without being overbearing?
*Bump* I have finally gotten around to creating the third video in this series: "Using Your TI-84 Plus CE, Part 3: Variables, Lists, Matrices". As always, I hope you enjoy, learn something new, and I'm always happy to accept feedback for future videos.

Kerm, I wish there were a sentence or two in the latest video about vectorized operations on lists. IMO it is one of the most powerful features of the calculator both in everyday use and in programming. Knowing that capability on my calculator has helped me immensely inside and outside of school, and I think it's a basic and intuitive enough concept to deserve mention in one's first introduction to lists.
lirtosiast wrote:
Kerm, I wish there were a sentence or two in the latest video about vectorized operations on lists. IMO it is one of the most powerful features of the calculator both in everyday use and in programming. Knowing that capability on my calculator has helped me immensely inside and outside of school, and I think it's a basic and intuitive enough concept to deserve mention in one's first introduction to lists.
That's a fair critique; thanks for posting. I certainly mention it in detail in the book, and I was hoping as many people as possible would be following along in the book (and hence reading through the vectorization content). If I modify the video at some point to fix the missing ending slide, I'll certainly find a way to shoehorn that in as well!
*bump* At long last, I have published Part 4 of this video series, covering Parametric, Polar, and Sequence graphing on the TI-84 Plus CE, as well as drawing on the TI-84 Plus CE's graphscreen. As always, the lessons are structured around the book Using the TI-84 Plus, in this case Chapter 5. If you're new to math on your TI-84 Plus-family graphing calculator or just want to learn more about it, take a look!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours