I have a problem (or a few) with my TI-84+ SE. When I do the self test, it tells me ''ROM FAIL''. Also, I measured byte by byte the ROM size with CMDv2 and the given result was 32KB less than the rated 1.5MB. To make matters worse, this problem with my flash ROM has caused quite a bit of trouble:

-corrupted data that has to be cleaned with garbagecollect or CLEANARC
-2 lost programs
-apps causing other stuff to crash(graph etc...)
-extreme slowdowns at moments
-and even more anomalies.

I really need a quick fix that doesn't need any calc disassembly. I have DCS 7.2 (if this helps).
The only clue I have is that my father (who is an EE) told me that flash memory has a limited number
of read/write cycles. I already knew this fact, but these problems shouldn't happen after 5 years (I have had the calc since 12/2009). It was only last year that i discovered (DUH!!!) ticalc.org,cemetech.net,etc...

Once again, I urgently need a fix (preferably software based). I am only a teenager (almost 16). This
is my first post on cemetech. Many thanks to anyone who finds a working fix!
CalcMax wrote:
I have a problem (or a few) with my TI-84+ SE. When I do the self test, it tells me ''ROM FAIL''. Also, I measured byte by byte the ROM size with CMDv2 and the given result was 32KB less than the rated 1.5MB. To make matters worse, this problem with my flash ROM has caused quite a bit of trouble:

-corrupted data that has to be cleaned with garbagecollect or CLEANARC
-2 lost programs
-apps causing other stuff to crash(graph etc...)
-extreme slowdowns at moments
-and even more anomalies.

I really need a quick fix that doesn't need any calc disassembly. I have DCS 7.2 (if this helps).
The only clue I have is that my father (who is an EE) told me that flash memory has a limited number
of read/write cycles. I already knew this fact, but these problems shouldn't happen after 5 years (I have had the calc since 12/2009). It was only last year that i discovered (DUH!!!) ticalc.org,cemetech.net,etc...

Once again, I urgently need a fix (preferably software based). I am only a teenager (almost 16). This
is my first post on cemetech. Many thanks to anyone who finds a working fix!
Back the stuff up off your calc, re-send the OS, erase all memory, then put your stuff back on. The OS is corrupted, and I wouldn't be surprised if the archive was also corrupted too.

EDIT: Have you by chance used Omnicalc or zStart on your calc?

EDIT 2: It would take ages to wear out the calculator's flash. NOR flash is usually designed to handle at least 100,000 erase cycles before wearing out.
Well, THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALOT hightechcomputergeek. Resending os fixed it. I have had problems with os corruption before. Calc is 3x more responsive!!!

P.S. It now seems that i only have a (minor) ram problem.On one occasion, when i archived a 20000 byte appvar, i didnt get space back. RAM clear didnt fix it, but the calc struggled to respond and run until it did what i think was it was getting the second mem page operational. I dont know whether i have the 48k or 128k version. part of 2nd page is unstable and this cause some ungrouped files to appear, but give undefined err when loading.

P.P.S. I have attempt to use omnicalc and zstart, but deleted them later.
CalcMax wrote:
P.P.S. I have attempt to use omnicalc and zstart, but deleted them later.
That'll do it. zStart is known to cause issues with OS corruption.
What about RAM situation?!

Sorry about grammar errors, had to type fast and was a bit lazy.
CalcMax wrote:
What about RAM situation?!
No idea about that. It's probably not the RAM, though, it's probably something else. Did you back all your programs up then clear all memory? Also, have you checked that none of your programs are corrupted?

CalcMax wrote:
I dont know whether i have the 48k or 128k version.
Probably doesn't matter, as if you had a 128k calc, while assembly programs can use the extra pages (few actually did - one of them was MSD8x), TI-OS doesn't use them itself.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours