After reading an article about a flawed Linux kernel, I had an idea. What if I could port my own kernel to a calculator in place of TI-OS? It would be open-source, allowing all users to create and post their new specialized versions, just as people do today. I think this would be an interesting and engaging project to work on, and I am currently working on my own port. feel free to post suggestions, comments, and your own versions of a TI Linux port. (I decided I'll call it TInux) Graphing Calculator
CalcMeister wrote:
After reading an article about a flawed Linux kernel, I had an idea. What if I could port my own kernel to a calculator in place of TI-OS? It would be open-source, allowing all users to create and post their new specialized versions, just as people do today. I think this would be an interesting and engaging project to work on, and I am currently working on my own port. feel free to post suggestions, comments, and your own versions of a TI Linux port. (I decided I'll call it TInux) Graphing Calculator
Not my project, but there already is an effort at http://www.knightos.org to create a calculator OS with a Unix-like kernel for z80-based calcs. While currently more effort has been put in for it on the monochrome calcs, it'll run on the CSE in black-and-white.
Hitechcomputergeek wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:
http://www.knightos.org

Pretty cool, though my thought was that it would be fundamentally based upon the code making up actual Linux. The length of code is small enough that it can be printed on two sheets of paper, and it looks easy enough to transpose. Also, I would prefer to have my code utilize the full extent of the PCSE's graphics capacity.
CalcMeister wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:

Pretty cool, though my thought was that it would be fundamentally based upon the code making up actual Linux. The length of code is small enough that it can be printed on two sheets of paper, and it looks easy enough to transpose.
What version of the Linux kernel are you talking about?
CalcMeister wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:

Pretty cool, though my thought was that it would be fundamentally based upon the code making up actual Linux. The length of code is small enough that it can be printed on two sheets of paper, and it looks easy enough to transpose.
What version of the Linux kernel are you talking about?
just the straight up one the dude (insert his name) made ages ago. No bells and whistles, just the chassis for them.
Zilog z80 cant run linux. It is WAY too slow!!!!

Try to port windows CE 1.0 and report in!!!!

P.S. do not BSOD on me now.
P.P.S i need linux on regul 84+se
CalcMax wrote:
Zilog z80 cant run linux. It is WAY too slow!!!!
/Run/ Linux, no. /Port/ Linux to Z80 asm, maybe.

CalcMax wrote:
P.P.S i need linux on regul 84+se
Huh? Didn't you just say that that was impossible? Why do you need Linux on your calculator?
It's going along pretty well so far. I found out that much of the code is drivers for hardware such as Apple vs. Microsoft, etc, so I won't have as much to do as I thought. Still though it will take a considerable chunk of time to successfully transpose. I'll post the source code as soon as it makes sense! Razz
Linux is impossible on color calc due to 12.8x more pixels and 16 bit color.

I think linux WILL WORK on monochrome calc.
CalcMax wrote:
Linux is impossible on color calc due to 12.8x more pixels and 16 bit color.

I think linux WILL WORK on monochrome calc.
...huh? Where did you get that information? That makes no sense.
CalcMax, perhaps you should take a look at what "linux" [the original kernel] is; dont confuse it with these high end operating systems today.

Also, wikipedia: Linux

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours