Since this has become quite a big project of mine, I've decided to move the space station stuff to my own thread where I hope, people will discuss asteroid based space station related things or just general ksp progress.
Day 1
Today, I decided to attempt to capture my very first asteroid, and have done so. Here is a picture of my Class E asteroid that I've placed in a fairly nice orbit around Kerbin with the Mun and Kerbin in the background.

Originally, I had planned to land the asteroid, however, I now have decided to leave it in its orbit and maybe try to bring it closer to Kerbin because slowing it down took more fuel than I had anticipated and I think it will be nicer up there where I can send stuff and use it as some sort of funky space station in some future missions! Currently, the ship attached to it is out of fuel, but since I plan on sending more things to it, there is nothing preventing me from ever landing it if I ever decide to do so, but I don't know how much strain the AGU can handle and whether or not asteroids float Wink
In the upcoming week, I plan on attempting to dock two ships in orbit. I have never tried this or even tested anything on the launchpad, but from my experience with the asteroid, it will be a huge challenge of flying "by-eye". Who knows, maybe one day I could dock two asteroids together!
For now, that's it for me, I'm curious to know what everyone else has accomplished and what others plan on doing. I'd encourage people to make posts like this where they show off what's up in their Kerbol!
Day 2
UPDATE #1
Today, I docked a B class asteroid onto yesterday's E class asteroid, unfortunately, there is a kerbonaut stuck in the ship that performed this. Not sure how I intend to get him out of there (I don't want to leave him sitting there forever) either way, here is a picture of the now coupled asteroids with the moon peeking out of the back Very Happy

UPDATE #2

Day 3
Today, I’ve just gone ahead and added on a C-class asteroid, another B-class asteroid and a large living/science area for kerbonauts to have a place to go to when going up there. On this station part, I have placed a bunch of docking ports as well as AGUs in order to eventually clip on some A-class asteroids onto it and dock some ships.
Picture of the progress…

UPDATE #3

Day 4
Today, disaster struck! Some shaking caused my station pieces to fly out in all directions! (I blame lag! Razz) Luckily, I was able to gather them up pretty fast (actually not that fast because some parts were broken but whatever) and have rebuilt it, however it is in a different configuration and now has less pieces which I hope, should reduce the lag. I now send the engines with decouplers in order to be able to lose them once the asteroid is in place. I have also added on the two A-class asteroids which were to be placed onto the larger station part and a 2nd station part to accommodate a D-class asteroid in the future. I have gotten a D-class into orbit around Kerbin but still in a strange orbit relative to the station. It has run out of fuel, therefore, more missions to this asteroid will have to be performed in order to bring it to its final destination.
This is a pretty cool project. Although I don't play KSP, I cant wait for your updates on this project. Space Stations are cool!
Wow, impressive! I've actually never tried to grab an asteroid yet, but I probably should at some point. I'm waiting for 1.1 to come out so that I can play a more stable and faster version of the game. (I have a decent computer, but you can only fit so many mods in 4 GB of memory.) Perhaps we could do a sort of IYSS-style save-trading system where any KSP players on this forum can add more to the station? Anyway, really nice job!
Hactar wrote:
Wow, impressive! I've actually never tried to grab an asteroid yet, but I probably should at some point. I'm waiting for 1.1 to come out so that I can play a more stable and faster version of the game. (I have a decent computer, but you can only fit so many mods in 4 GB of memory.) Perhaps we could do a sort of IYSS-style save-trading system where any KSP players on this forum can add more to the station? Anyway, really nice job!

I'm actually on a super old version with no mods on a cruddy laptop lmao, I get a lot of lag when I play and have set the graphics to quite lame quality. As for a community build, for the same reason, I don't think this particular station might be the right one to share around and I kinda like the idea of having built it myself Razz but I would not be against it if anyone ever decides to start one. If you intend on grabbing onto asteroids, here are the best tips I can give you from my experience building this thing:

If you're making a station, get the biggest piece in first because you don't want to have to move that one afterwards.

Start off with a small asteroid to get used to flying with that awkward heavy weight stuck on your ship. With smaller asteroids, it feels like you are flying with some extra weight and with big ones, it feels like the asteroid is flying you Laughing

For a station, especially if you have a cruddy computer like me, keep the piece count low to reduce the lag and the unnecessary shaking.

Place multiple AGUs on a single piece of rocketry (this reduces part count and gives you a hub to stick the asteroids to in the event of an emergency). Also looks extra snazzy Wink

Keep a little ship with 2 AGUs on it to move small asteroids around when you want. I usually have one although it's usually in use connecting an asteroid.

Try to get a nice orbit (close to Kerbin to save fuel on all future missions Razz) when you're beginning your station because then it will become increasingly hard to change the orbit.

Keep your relative velocity low and be patient when getting close to and grabbing onto something. If your ship breaks, the whole mission is wasted. I usually keep it at 1 m/s or under.

Get used to the docking mode. I had basically never used it before this, but once you get the hang of it, it helps a lot. It's definitely very possible to do it by-eye in staging mode but I find it a zillion times easier in docking mode.
The list goes on but I think these are some fairly important ones Smile I wish you the best of luck and hopefully I can hear from your experience working with asteroids. Very Happy
mr womp womp wrote:
Get used to the docking mode. I had basically never used it before this, but once you get the hang of it, it helps a lot. It's definitely very possible to do it by-eye in staging mode but I find it a zillion times easier in docking mode. [/list] The list goes on but I think these are some fairly important ones Smile I wish you the best of luck and hopefully I can hear from your experience working with asteroids. Very Happy

I actually got a flight stick specifically for KSP and especially docking, but I have yet to use it for more than "casual" plane-flying around Kerbin. (There really is no such thing as "casual" KSP. Razz) I should really get around to KSP... but I have two other eZ80 projects, plus eZ80 Heaven to be working on, plus school... Sad I will get back to it once 1.1 is released, then I will capture an asteroid for sure.
UPDATE #4

Day 5
As you can see from the date of this post, I've taken a couple days off, however, I got back to this and attempted a D today without success. Therefore I settled for a C at the tip of that 2nd station part. I've been noticing a whole bunch of shaking especially on the C-class asteroids and I am unsure whether this is just because of lag or because they are too heavy for the little AGUs to handle, I suspect this is what caused things to break off in the first place and is probably what will eventually (unfortunately) lead to the station's demise. Anyway, I did manage to get the C in place nicely which actually turned out to be much more challenging than the first one because of the lag causing ships to be unresponsive and very slow at reacting. This piece brings the total mass of the station to just over 1366 Tons and probably somewhere around the maximum it will be since it is becoming increasingly difficult to add more asteroids and ships. As usual, here is a picture of the new station, looking snazzy as ever!

Oh and Joeald is not stuck I swear xD he has been in the past two screenshots and in this one as well but that's simply because he is kicking off in the big station part with the two A's stuck onto it and I have not sent a ship to pick him up Smile While I'm here, the tally for the asteroids :
    A-class : 2
    B-class : 2
    C-class : 2
    D-class : 0
    E-class : 1
The save file for the old station from 2.5 years ago is long gone, but it would require an old version of the game to run anyway. That being said, I've still been playing KSP on and off when I can. Today, I decided to pick up asteroid capturing once more, starting by placing a tiny A-class in a 200km circular equatorial orbit to get warmed up. I then found 2 E-class asteroids that were going to intersect with Kerbin's gravity well, and have just barely enough velocity to escape (meaning that it would be reasonable to lightly shove their escape trajectories into orbits). Both encounters were only 8 days apart though, so I wouldn't get to faff around too much with the first one before I would have to head out to the 2nd one. Much to my dismay, both roids were over 3000 tons, which is just horrifying, given that I had tested my craft by moving around 1200 tons of fuel. I got both large potatoes in orbits, although the first one is arguably in a really bad orbit (very eccentric, just barely not escaping, and nearly polar clockwise). The second one was in a similar type of orbit, except that its periapsis was at 210km. I decided to help myself to a bit of Kerbin's rotation by aerobraking slightly (I know planetary bodies in KSP are "on rails", and therefore don't actually change orbital elements). I haven't finished my planned aerobrakings, as I have already been on the game all day and it is now 2 am, but I do plan on lowering the 2nd roid's orbit down to a more circular form and possibly build a station around it in the future. Bringing down the orbit with the help of aerobraking should be a breeze, but fixing the inclination will be a very different story. I've been debating what I should do with the inclination to make future launches to the roid more bearable. I've come up with 3 options, here they are in order of difficulty from easiest to hardest to perform:
  1. Circularize the orbit and leave it in whatever inclination is is
  2. Bring it into a perfect polar orbit (because it is approx 20 degrees off), then circularize the orbit (because changing the inclination requires less force the farther away you are from the body)
  3. Bring it into a perfect equatorial orbit, then circularize the orbit (very hard because it is not close to being in such an orbit)

As is customary, here is a screenshot of the 1st roid.

It may not look like it, but these 2 new potatoes are significantly larger than the ones used in the old station, and have proved extremely difficult to move around at all. I think comparing the "Gigantor XL Solar Arrays" which are visible in both the old images and the new ones might help put things into perspective a little bit.
I've also noticed that if you pan the camera inside an asteroid, there is a gray cube in the center of mass, which I'm 95% certain wasn't there in old versions of the game.

You can also see the mass of the asteroid (3555.11035 tons), which is really at the top end of how big an asteroid can be, given that according to the wiki, E-class asteroids (the biggest class) are between 854 and 3828 tons.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours