It's been a long time since I posted anything here, but since I've been making stuff, I decided I might as well share something I've made.

My engineering class is having a Secret Santa thing and I wanted to make a cool gift instead of just buying something, so I made the Owenscope (the guy who's getting it is named Owen, so it fits Razz). Simply put, it plays a sequence of 4 beeps in a row. Each beep has its own individual pitch, set by four different pots. There's an Arduino Nano at the heart of it all. Not too useful, but it's pretty fun to mess around with. I can only explain so much in text, so here's a video:

What a fun project! I assume that each potentiometer is connected to one of the analog pins, and that you use the PWM pin(s) for output? Does it generate stereo or mono output? What inspired you to make this project in this particular way?
KermMartian wrote:
What a fun project! I assume that each potentiometer is connected to one of the analog pins

Yep. I could've done it a different way and added more pots (and more changeable parameters), but it's good enough as it is. Razz

KermMartian wrote:
and that you use the PWM pin(s) for output?

I didn't use PWM, just the built-in Tone function. For this project, I didn't need anything more sophisticated.

KermMartian wrote:
Does it generate stereo or mono output?

Just mono. I only have mono jacks right now, so that's what I had to work with.

KermMartian wrote:
What inspired you to make this project in this particular way?

I wanted each parameter to have its own control. I could've made this way more sophisticated and musically useful, but I had just wanted to make a fun noisemaker, and IMO fun noisemakers shouldn't require menu diving and tedious programming to make fun noises.
Fair answers to all my questions; thank you! Also, if your classmate is so inclined, I'd imagine that he could repurpose it into a more complex synthesizer, where the knobs could control things like tempo, tone, and effects.
KermMartian wrote:
Fair answers to all my questions; thank you! Also, if your classmate is so inclined, I'd imagine that he could repurpose it into a more complex synthesizer, where the knobs could control things like tempo, tone, and effects.
It already has a tempo control (the RATE pot), although it's rather rudimentary. I'm also starting another sequencer/synthesizer project that hopefully will be musically useful (12-bit DAC, piano-style keyboard, FM synthesis).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours