Lol
[Citation needed]
I have a Photon and flashed the gCn firmware, and connected ground to ground, tip to 6, and ring to 5. (84+) It connects to the wifi, and the SAX widget returns "***gCn virtual hub 'IRCHub' has new calculator 0A379C2A07 from Spark0000", so it's working on that end, but the calc is not connecting to the Photon. Runnung the gCn Chat program on my calc does not return the normal "*IRC Hub joined", and the Bridge Configure program gets stuck on "Fetching configuration from bridge..."

I don't know why it's not working.

EDIT
Re-flashing the Photon with the debug option enabled, opening a serial monitor, and plugging the calc in while it is running the chat program yields this:

Code:

Detected new calculator
Receiving frame from Cn2
Have valid frame for gCn, length 27
Have frame to send to gcn, type b length 27
18 0 62 FF 89 0 0 0 0 0 A 37 9C 2A 7 9 0 AB 4E 6F 61 68 4B 2D 43 61 2A ;;;
Receiving frame from Cn2
Receiving frame from Cn2
Receiving frame from Cn2
Receiving frame from Cn2
Receiving frame from Cn2

with that repeating part repeating for eternity.

But running the BridgCFG program yields this:

Code:
Beginning bridge process with connectable = 0
Credentials = 1; magic_offsetl = 42; magic_offsetr = 42
Connected as Spark0000 to IRCHub
Receiving frame from Cn2
Detected new calculator
Receiving frame from Cn2
Failed to receive checksum ack: -99

AN AWESOME EDIT
Kerm found where the gCnIRCHub failed to connect to the IRC channel, and found an Efnet channel that did not fail. All is working now.
Well, all but the BridgeCFG program. Still working on that.
Which version of Doors CS do you have on your calculator? I'm looking at the Spark Core gCn firmware, and I don't see any obvious reason why that would be broken on the Photon and functional on the Spark Core.

Code:
          if (0 > (j = cn2_recbyte())) {
#ifdef sparkdebug
            Serial.print("Failed to receive checksum ack: ");
            Serial.println(j);
#endif
I flashed the firmware you linked to the Photon, but enabled the debug option before doing so. I have the Photon connected to my computer via USB wish a serial monitor open, and to the calc (84+), tip on 6, ring on 5, using this snippet of code to determine the numbers:

Code:
#ifdef usbhid
const int TIring = 11;
const int TItip = 12;
#else
const int TIring = 5;
const int TItip = 6;
uint8_t led_state = 0;
#endif

The calculator is currently running DCS 7.2 beta 3, which is the only version that the BRIDGCFG program runs on, and it has proven to me to have stable linkport cn2. This being said, the BRIDGCFG program fails to get past "Fetching configuration from bridge...", and running the program does not elicit a response in the serial terminal.

Running the cn2 Chat program (1.0, latest from the archives), does make the Photon do...something. Once ran, the Photon detects a new calc on it's local hub, and then the IRC channel immediately shows that the IRC hub has a new calculator form Spark0000, and that is normal. But the Photon gets suck in the loop of:

Code:
Receiving frame from Cn2
18 0 62 FF 89 0 0 0 0 0 A 37 9C 2A 7 9 0 AB 4E 6F 61 68 4B 2D 43 61 2A

which looks to me that the server is not responding to the Photon's frames, or that the Photon isn't sending the frames it has ready. With out the server answering back, nothing else happens, and the Chat program becomes unstable and forces me to perform a battery-pull.
It turned out that at least part of the problem was that the IRCHub was not connected to IRC. However, it's still not clear why NoahK can't fetch the configuration from his bridge using the BRIDGCFG program. On a related note, NoahK, thanks for submitting that PR. Would you mind making sure that that change will also work on the Spark Core?
I still do not know what is happening with the BRDGCFG program.

I would love to see if it works with the Spark Core, but seeing that I do not own a Spark Core, I personally cannot test that out.
I guess this is kind of a bump but not really

Hey, Kerm. Since christmas is coming up I'm probably getting the materials to build one of these and I was sondering if you would share with me the design you came up with so that I know how to build it. If you already have posted it and I just couldn't find it then a link to that would also be awesome. Thanks and this is truly a feat of engineering here!
I'm glad that you'll probably be getting a Spark Core or Photon and will have the opportunity to potentially replicate this. The links in the first post of this topic have pretty much everything you need to make the Spark devices give your calculator internet via globalCALCnet, including the Spark Core/Photon firmware and the bridge configuration program. I think the only thing that might not be obvious from that documentation is where the tip and ring for the 2.5mm cable go; the prologue of the firmware has defines that set those pin numbers (which you can change if you so desire). Thanks for the kind words about this project!
KermMartian wrote:
(which you can change if you so desire)

I would not recommend changing the pin definitions, as the two pins that it uses right now are the only 5v compliant pins.
Oh gee. I looked at the first post like seven times. I guess I'm just ignorant Razz anyway, thanks so much for this!

EDIT:: I forgot to ask earlier but what is the silvery thing connected to the photon/spark core on the right of the breadboard? Also (even though I think I already know the answer) would this program for the calc work on a ti 83 SE?
Happy to help! And you're not ignorant; maybe you only looked at the top of this page, not the first page? To answer the question that you're about to edit into your post, the silvery thing with the red and black leads is a Li-Poly battery that I'm using to power the Spark Core, borrowed from my Clove 3 dataglove for the sake of the photo. You can use the microUSB plug to power the Spark device during testing, though; you don't need to go out and buy a battery (although if you want to use this long-term, needing to power this over USB would defeat the purpose somewhat). Yes, it will work on a TI-83 Plus Silver Edition admirably.
Sorry to keep bringing this thread back to the top of the new posts but I can't seem to get the command prompt to do the npm install -g particle-cli thing. It always fails (tell me if you want the mile long debug log) but more to the point, once I do get it working then how do I install the gcnbridge.ino?

EDIT:: After a LOOOOOONG irc exchange with Geekboy we still got nowhere with the setup of this photon. Command prompt errors now look like this and we can't get any of the top red things installed. Suggestions? This is really stumping.
I have gotten the photon set up (I just did it with an ipad instead of a computer) and now I have the same problem as NoahK. was his problem ever solved? if so, how?
Botboy3000 wrote:
I have gotten the photon set up (I just did it with an ipad instead of a computer) and now I have the same problem as NoahK. was his problem ever solved? if so, how?
I don't believe that it was solved. Are you able to turn on more verbose debugging of any sort to determine whether the Spark Core is getting the commands from the calculator at all? The sparkdebug flag in gcnbridge3.ino might help us.
I can't get the photon to connect to the internet again which means I can't re-flash it. Also the bridge configuration program doesn't connect to the calc anymore. It just sits at "Fetching configuration" window. If we assume that this is the same problem as NoahK who actually did the debugging thing (and it sounds like a similar problem) then what do I do?
Alright it's been well over 24 hours.

I've taken a video of my process that doesn't work.

(this video's photon began with fresh Tinker firmware)

It stayed at "Fetching Configuration..." for ~5 minutes and I had a couple days ago it connecting in less than 3 seconds. Where am I going wrong?
So to start. You know you have both avr328 and spark core defined? Even though it bluntly says only one of these?
Oh......... I thought those were two different categories hence the saying of "only one of these" twice. I will change that and see if it works then. Smile Thanks so much for the reply though.

EDIT:: Ok, after a while of testing (even though it wasn't that long) it still didn't work BUT with both defined was how it came off of github... idk what this means but I still think having only one of all 5 of those first #defines is still the right way to go.
Yep, the only thing the avr328 vs. avr168 controls is whether the bridge can track 200 or 500 calculator IDs, so you correctly interpreted that there are two categories, and that you should have both sparkcore and avr328 defined. I watched your video, and the fact that it's breathing instead of beating green is problematic. The LED should be totally off when nothing is happening, and flashing colors when it detects communication or when there's incoming communication from the gCn server.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours