pimathbrainiac wrote:
Would the PvP be part of the hunt? I think it would be rather cool if, at one point during a hunt, the next clue was only given to the winner(s) of a PvP battle, and those who lost would end up with the clue after a delayed period of time.

This is not impossible to do, but it would require a dedicated arena / battleground, providing both camps with the same weapons and armor and making sure everyone gets their own items back at the end of the fight. I don't know much about the combat changes in 1.9 yet, but I think players with a higher ping will also be at a disadvantage in PvP games.
Marudok wrote:
pimathbrainiac wrote:
Would the PvP be part of the hunt? I think it would be rather cool if, at one point during a hunt, the next clue was only given to the winner(s) of a PvP battle, and those who lost would end up with the clue after a delayed period of time.

This is not impossible to do, but it would require a dedicated arena / battleground, providing both camps with the same weapons and armor and making sure everyone gets their own items back at the end of the fight. I don't know much about the combat changes in 1.9 yet, but I think players with a higher ping will also be at a disadvantage in PvP games.

That can probably be arranged. I'd be willing to build an arena or two for the new server (I got a new idea for a design).
pimathbrainiac wrote:

That's the idea. But rather than make PvP arenas part of the hunt, they'd just give rewards. Whether it's denarii, items or, a clue to a puzzle. Those clues could be cryptic or more precise. I believe using a PvP match to start a hunt is unfair, as everyone should start off on the same foot. But, like I said, rewards could include clues to puzzles.
Sounds nice!

I think we should have two or three unique arenas to have PvP fights in, each with different attributes (traps, platforms, etc.). I'd be willing to build them if that's something you want help with.
Recently I hopped on and figured we could all use some fun. So I spawned an Ender Dragon in some extreme hills. Everyone had a blast with that and ended up wanting a Wither as well. So I found some flatter ground and spawned in a Wither.

It then evolved into a Zombie apocalypse.

I can totally see a mob arena being a thing in the future. Everyone had a lot of fun for the most part. I look forward to doing this again.
I actually have some ideas for this, including the redstone to release them all. This could be loads of fun, might be a new project to start in on sometime this week Very Happy
This was personally a lot of fun for me, as it was probably for all of us. I wish there were more people online to join in, but things like this will keep server activity going-- I'd definitely go out of my way to show up to these. Thanks for setting all of this up for us!

I personally enjoy the zombies the most, and love the idea of zombie apocalypses. I think this gave some ideas for a future PvE arena, and I hope that we will see more inspiration to build PvE arenas in 1.9. Do keep in mind that PvE arena do act as semi-automated experience and item farms in light of recent discussions in the economy topic for 1.9, more or less easy depending how easy it is to kill mobs. I would be interested in using my plans to build a Mega Mob Masher (my personal design for a mob farm) to not only be used as a mob farm, but to hook up a long-planned component of it to make into a PvE arena. The Mega Mob Masher (MMM) is currently capable of producing 80 mobs/minute, in the variety of zombies, skeletons, creepers, spiders, and witches, and is precisely the rate mobs would pour out at in the PvE arena, if made. I could even design a mob-sorting system on the MMM, so that you can control which type of mobs you fight, and which ones get left out and burned.

In general, I would like to see more activities for PvE (and PvP) in the mix with any of the treasure hunts that we've been discussing. I'm actually building a PvP arena right now in the swamp on the current map that should be ready for release and usage soon-- you can see it on dynmap here. Perhaps we would be able to get this worldguarded so players don't have to worry about accidentally breaking things or causing mobs to grief it?
Today's activities was so much fun! Thanks Comic for entertaining us Very Happy

I was definitely not hating the extra xp I received Smile

Tifreak8x: I think that would be an excellent project to start on!

CharlesSprinkle: I look forward to your swamp PVP arena opening up soon. I know you've been working hard on it Smile It's going to be awesome!
I have been playing around with custom mob generation and Command Blocks. Tomorrow we will have a battle! There will be a hoard or three of zombies, an ender dragon and a final boss! Not sure on the time yet but come prepared! I'll be on during the day perfecting the room I'll be watching from and getting the area ready!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours