Should mobileTunes CSE have a mouse?
Yes
 32%  [ 13 ]
No
 67%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 40

Palette:

Pallet:
Heh whoops, my mistake. And I had just read a rant on the difference between pallet and palette too.
tr1p1ea, elfprince, Ivoah: Yes, it's the same 4-color (2-bit) palette for the whole bottom section of the interface, and although it's defined separately, the same colors happen to be used for the remainder of the interface as well. It would be reasonable to offer the ability to at least have blue plus elfprince's nice-looking Cemetech Red theme, and perhaps others if people care to design them.
Well you could just have the same graphics but change the palette - since it appears to be a colour, a lighter shade of the same colour and grey?

Does white count as one of the palette colours?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Well you could just have the same graphics but change the palette - since it appears to be a colour, a lighter shade of the same colour and grey?
You could change the four colors to red, blue, green, and black, if you wanted. Wink Yes, it would be relatively easy to change the palette, but keep the graphics the same.

Quote:
Does white count as one of the palette colours?
Yes. The colors are currently white, a dark gray ($4a4a), a light blue, and a dark blue. The gray is used as a shadow on the buttons as well as for text, the white is used for the background as well as the highlight on the buttons, and the remaining two colors are body and highlights on the buttons.
What I was suggesting is have the option to just alter the 2 colour entries in the palette.

The below image has ONLY the 2 shades of colour changed, with white and grey remaining as is - could be a simple way to offer customisation?:

(I drew the buttons fresh as a quick test, so there are some very minor differences but overall it should demonstrate the idea).
As requested, I spent some time making mobileTunes 3 CSE work better with palettes. The bulk of this work was reconverting all of the image components in such a way that they're forced to use the same color palette in the same order, so that modifying a single 8-byte (4-color, 2-bit) palette changes all of the graphical elements, from sprites to text to lines to rectangles. Here's how it looks with the "default" palette and with elfprince13's Cemetech Red palette. Note also that I've added a background and the icon in the titlebar area, and made Mateo's text routine obey textInverse,(iy+textFlags).

Oooh, I like that a lot Smile
tr1p1ea wrote:
What I was suggesting is have the option to just alter the 2 colour entries in the palette.

The below image has ONLY the 2 shades of colour changed, with white and grey remaining as is - could be a simple way to offer customisation?:

[...snip...]

(I drew the buttons fresh as a quick test, so there are some very minor differences but overall it should demonstrate the idea).
Sorry, I somehow missed your post before I posted mine! I ended up making all four colors customizable, which I guess is a superset of your idea. I also implemented the green and purple palettes in MT3 CSE.

elfprince13 wrote:
Oooh, I like that a lot Smile
Thanks!
I like the palettes! Here is another mockup I made. The buttons are modified slightly, possibly for the better or for the worse, they're spaced out to match the keys, and there's a menu button.

I suggest it have play modes Repeat/Shuffle/Off, Autoplay, and possibly color. Also, you could make the colors correspond to colors in DCSE and instead make the color in MT be whatever was set in DCSE - an overarching color scheme, just a thought. ("Default" could also be a color.)
Good idea about the spacing, and I'll be replacing the extraneous Rewind button (which means the same thing as the Stop button anyway) with a shuffle button, and making mT3 keep playing songs until you tell it to stop. I added the Help/Settings menu, plus a color selector, and here it is in action:

Unfortunately, any theming in Doors CSE is outside the scope of this project, and linking themes between the two is unfortunately also a larger piece of work than I have time to bite off at this point. My remaining todo list:
  • Store the slider's last position so the drawing can be skipped when possible.
  • Erase the slider before re-drawing it.
  • Solve problem with Y= bouncing when used to start a song
  • Space out buttons so they're closer to their keys -> might need to be even more liberal with this, like Caleb was
  • Add automatic continuation to next song
  • Add shuffle: pre-shuffle list of song indices, then play in that order
  • Make Pause not act like Stop
Looking quite sharp there! And I totally expected that about the color linking being too much, the way it is it also great.

What do you guys think about the modified button... pixels? I tried to smooth them out again in the last pic I posted, but I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not, just tweaked. For example I dropped like 3 pixels on the question mark where I thought it seemed like slight shading should go.
That is looking fantastic Kerm! It's a very elegant solution and it really does make the player stand out.
Here's a slightly different question: are songs currently stored as programs or as appvars? I think we should make an effort to separate data from code as much as possible now that we have the tools to do so, and would prefer to see songs stored as appvars.
CalebHansberry wrote:
What do you guys think about the modified button... pixels? I tried to smooth them out again in the last pic I posted, but I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not, just tweaked. For example I dropped like 3 pixels on the question mark where I thought it seemed like slight shading should go.
I think it looks a bit sharper than what I have at the moment. Do you also still have the image of the glassier buttons that you showed off on SAX/IRC, for comparison?
tr1p1ea wrote:
That is looking fantastic Kerm! It's a very elegant solution and it really does make the player stand out.
Thank you! Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
Here's a slightly different question: are songs currently stored as programs or as appvars? I think we should make an effort to separate data from code as much as possible now that we have the tools to do so, and would prefer to see songs stored as appvars.
Unfortunately, because mobileTunes 3 CSE plays mobileTunes 3 non-CSE songs exactly as-is, the songs are the same program-formatted songs as for the monochrome calculators. Any new songs made for this player will contain the same Doors CS (not CSE) header as the older songs, and will be detected by mobileTunes 3 CSE as such. I'm afraid it would be difficult to switch to AppVars at this point. Sad

Edit: I did a lot of work on mobileTunes 3 CSE today, and I think shuffling is the last major remaining item. I've decided to do it by shuffling the list of program locations that MT3 CSE pre-loads, and because Mateo currently only loads the current screenful of locations, I need to rearrange a bunch of his code. Anyway, here's a screenshot of erasing behind the slider working (I wrote a lot of raw LCD manipulation to make this as fast as possible to improve audio quality), and the shuffle indicator turning on and off.

And my to-do list:
  • Store the slider's last position so the drawing can be skipped when possible.
  • Erase the slider before re-drawing it.
  • Solve problem with Y= bouncing when used to start a song
  • Space out buttons so they're closer to their keys -> might need to be even more liberal with this, like Caleb was
  • Add automatic continuation to next song
  • Add shuffle: pre-shuffle list of song indices, then play in that order
  • Make Pause not act like Stop
Instead of having a separate shuffle indicator, I think it may be more appealing to shade in the shuffle arrows when shuffle is selected. This behavior would also be closer to that of other music players like VLC and iTunes.
KermMartian wrote:
tr1p1ea wrote:

[...snip...]

Sorry, I somehow missed your post before I posted mine! I ended up making all four colors customizable, which I guess is a superset of your idea. I also implemented the green and purple palettes in MT3 CSE.

Smile All good. I was wondering if there was an opportunity to round some of the buttons a little more? - Not a big issue of course.

I was also wondering if there were plans to include a playing time/total time songs as they played? (Not sure if this one is possible given the song format).
Quote:
Unfortunately, because mobileTunes 3 CSE plays mobileTunes 3 non-CSE songs exactly as-is, the songs are the same program-formatted songs as for the monochrome calculators. Any new songs made for this player will contain the same Doors CS (not CSE) header as the older songs, and will be detected by mobileTunes 3 CSE as such. I'm afraid it would be difficult to switch to AppVars at this point. Sad

Sad I was under the impression that the VAT routines to traverse AppVars were nearly identical to the routines to traverse programs.
Very nice! And yes, here is the alternate "glassier" button I made, for comparison:

New one | Old one
btw, tr1p1ea posted a nice looking button refinement last night, that may have gotten lost since Kerm's IRC connection was down.

Quote:
21:18 <+saxjax> [tr1p1ea] Hey Kerm I noticed that you were still currently tweaking some of the graphical elements for MT3. I was messing around with some of the curved
elements (bottoms of buttons, arch etc) as per:

21:18 <+saxjax> [tr1p1ea] with some minor tweaks on the right most image ... if they are of any use

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours