I have decided to update the graphics and gameplay of one of my old titles, Dragonsglid! In Dragonsglid, you went around dungeons fighting randomly spawning enemies. At the end of each dungeon, a boss enemy with a clever pun would test your strength.

Unfortunately, every dungeon was really linear and easy, with plain, open rooms, there was no backtracking in rooms or dungeons, and there were no secrets. I'm here to change all of that. Along with that, I'm introducing:
*A new extensive story (Done)
*Customizable moveset (Done)
*Interesting battle graphics (Done)
And unlike all my other projects, I won't release Sorcery of Uvutu until I'm 100% satisfied with it. So now I am.

10 years after the events of Dragonsglid, the nameless One of the Prophesy made a choice that would change the future forever. Unfortunately, that change didn't last long, as his kingdom, taken first by the Dragonsglid, fell into disorder and crumbled. The One of the Prophesy lived on and had a child, who had immense potential to save those left of the Uvutians.

►Screenshots (Color)

Older Screenshots

►Screenshots (Monochrome; WIP):

►Download Version v1.4 here on Cemetech: https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1529
►Find the GitHub here: https://github.com/TildaCubed/SorceryofUvutu
Sounds good! Are those tiles different dungeons you will go through?
Unicorn wrote:
Sounds good! Are those tiles different dungeons you will go through?

Yes. Although I'm thinking of changing some of them, those tiles are the areas you will traverse through. They were all taken from the dungeons in Dragonsglid, except for the gray dungeon at the very beginning which is now the grassy field.
So I have made a lot of progress. The battle screens are looking really nice, I've added a stats menu (with at least one stat missing actually DX), polished up the graphics and done a ton of behind-the-scenes work.
wow, this has indeed progressed quite quickly! In fact, the only thing that I see missing is a DCSE icon. Wink What is the game doing during the "LOADING" screen? Would you consider a grassy background behind the battle screen, if that's what the green is supposed to be?
KermMartian wrote:
wow, this has indeed progressed quite quickly! In fact, the only thing that I see missing is a DCSE icon. Wink What is the game doing during the "LOADING" screen? Would you consider a grassy background behind the battle screen, if that's what the green is supposed to be?

I have had a lot of free time, if that's what you're saying Wink
It's actually missing a lot more than the DCSE icon. Along with that, I need to finish the stats menu and create the items menu, add another stat to the player, finish battles, add map handling code, NPCs, an overworld text handler, finish the artwork, and then of course add all of the other content I've made.
When the screen is just a deep blue, it's creating the new save file. When it says "LOADING", it's loading up the necessary variables (stuff like X and Y coordinates but not stuff like battle moveset) into TI-OS real variables.
And as for the battle backgrounds, at the very least I'd have a strip of the ground tiles like the grass and flowery grass at the bottom, just above the text window. More than likely, though, I'll have those tiles on the whole screen.
I added map transition stuff, including buildings! Also reworked the tile that was previously a flower, and made it a tree. Some other small stuff too. BTW I may change the texture for the wood floor in the house.
Changing the texture of the house floor sounds like a good idea to me; it currently resembles bricks to my eyes. I must nag you to add an icon to the game, as well. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Changing the texture of the house floor sounds like a good idea to me; it currently resembles bricks to my eyes. I must nag you to add an icon to the game, as well. Wink

I've changed it now, so it looks more like wood. And I will add an icon for the next screenshot. Edit: Here it is:
Here's a new screenshot showing off battle backgrounds, the items menu, and leveling up!
Have I mentioned how spiffy the name entry routine looks? Also, I think your solution for the wood flooring looks a lot better now, and the battle background also looks less stark. What's next on your agenda?
KermMartian wrote:
Have I mentioned how spiffy the name entry routine looks? Also, I think your solution for the wood flooring looks a lot better now, and the battle background also looks less stark. What's next on your agenda?

Thanks! I like it a lot, even though I ripped it almost entirely from http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/custominput |o|
And I agree, the wood looks much better. What's next is:
*Add ability to heal with items during battle
*Add function to Block attack (DONE)
*Add code to handle opening of containers
*Add code to handle displaying item names
*Add code to handle manipulating items
*Add displaying of equipped items in Stats screen
*Add displaying of and interacting with NPCs or bosses (DONE)
*Add overworld event/text handler (DONE)
*Add more map screens
Wow 123outerme, this is looking really great. It seems to have a nice speed and the maps look really pretty. I also like the battle screen, though i think you could make the up/down/left/right menu a bit prettier, perhaps just directly using arrow symbols? Or positioning the text so that it looks something like this:

Code:
    ATK
ITEM   MAGIC
    RUN
(the screens are too fast for me to actually see what's written next to each one, so i just guessed)
chickendude wrote:
Wow 123outerme, this is looking really great. It seems to have a nice speed and the maps look really pretty. I also like the battle screen, though i think you could make the up/down/left/right menu a bit prettier, perhaps just directly using arrow symbols? Or positioning the text so that it looks something like this:

Code:
    ATK
ITEM   MAGIC
    RUN
(the screens are too fast for me to actually see what's written next to each one, so i just guessed)

Yeah, I think I could do arrow symbols. Also, thanks so much!
(Yes, I know I post a lot of screenshots)

*Changed battle backround as per DJ Omnimaga's request
*Added stat points number to stats menu
*Put Back option at the top of the items menu
*Added NPC rendering and dialog. Currently only for the insides of houses but will be changed later.
*(not in the screenshot) Added bosses, although not dialog and pun yet.
*Added function to Block attack
*Changed outside house tiles

Left to do:
*Item management inside the Items menu
*Item management inside the battle menu
*The rest of the artwork
*Adding more content like maps, NPCs, etc.
I don't think it deserved it's own 5 minute long .gif, but I started item management! So far, you can only view the item icons and names in the items menu. You can't see them in the battle menu, nor can you do stuff with them in either menu.
WOW! This project looks amazing, I love the graphics and it looks like it runs fast too Smile.
tr1p1ea wrote:
WOW! This project looks amazing, I love the graphics and it looks like it runs fast too Smile.

Thanks so much! It runs all right. If I really tried, I might be able to increase the speed a little. And of course the amazing graphics wouldn't exist if it weren't for xLIBC Smile
Unfortunately I've hit a rut. The program size is too large, so when it tries to load a map, I get an ERR; MEM. I thought that DCSE ran the program directly from ROM, but I guess it copies it to RAM. All of the features and one world are currently in place.
So, I've had to cut the ability to access your items within the battle menu. I couldn't even launch the game to test it, for one. And it was a pretty unnecessary feature that removing adds unintended depth. You'll always have to think about your HP, now.
Unfortunately, I will most likely have to cut other small features like that if I want to fit in the content that I want. As of right now, the program is 18705 bytes, including the arbitrary header bytes. It's that large, and I only have one world fully completed. And speaking of completing one full world, I will be releasing a demo version! Only the first world will be available.
BUMP:
Speaking of demo version, here it is right now! Let me know if I've messed anything up. I'm also going to leave the respective screenshot here:

(The name STEVYP is in honor of my school's marching band coming to an end. My nickname was Stevie P. New main character sprite and title for title screen courtesy of LDStudios Smile )
https://www.mediafire.com/?ucu00pbs8kh4m8s

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours