My TI-82's screen has several rows of dead pixels, and its quite annoying. Does anyone know where to get a new screen for the TI-82?
Unfortunately, almost all TI-82 screens are displaying dead rows these days: the problem is the fine-grained ribbon cable that connects the screen and its PCB. We have explored some techniques for repairing this issue, but to date we haven't been able to make them last for more than a week or two. Your best bet would be to see if some one in the community has a spare, fully-working LCD to send you, or try to purchase a TI-82 on eBay that you can take a screen from (but be aware that most of the broken ones for sale on eBay have exactly this issue).
TI-82 LCDs are a bit different. Adding pressure on the foam strip above the LCD's viewable area can permanently restore viewability. Try adding some paper towel padding to the foam block on the rear housing, making it push the LCD board against the front housing; this fixed my TI-82 with ROM 7*.
CREEEEEAAaaaak - as the coffin lid opens to resurrect this old thread ...
I just tried the "Paper towel over the foam" trick on my oldest '82 and it fixed all but two dead columns, the display had many dead columns and rows before that. Results are encouraging!
-TRS80
Woah! I wish I knew about this trick back when I had a TI-82. Does it work on the TI-92 too? My 82 had missing lines but they would eventually re-appear after the calc ran for about 20-30 minutes, but on my 92 that wasn't the case. Anyway if I get a 82 again with the same problem then this thread will be pretty useful. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours