We have been making consistent progress, and recently completed a fully-functional version of TI-FLOW for the TI-84+ series - with 400 levels divided into four packs, progress saving, and support for up to 100 total packs with unique identifiers.

I have also completed a new Java application to process levels and encode them with our compression algorithm. The project features a Compression interface that allows the use of other compression methods, which will subsequently allow for the easy encoding of levels for PT_'s Flow Free project.

Code:

import java.util.ArrayList;
public interface Compression {
    public String packToString(ArrayList<Level> pck, int size);
}

TI-FLOW BW should be released shortly after final optimization and testing. This release will be followed by PT_'s Flow Free for the TI-84+CSE, and our version of TI-FLOW for the TI-84+CE. The CE version will feature larger boards up to 14x14 and even more levels.

Update: We have optimized the board and background drawing to save space and to speed up game play. We have also begun the planning process for CE-FLOW, a color version geared toward users of the TI-84+CE calculator.

Update (10/14/2015): TI-FLOW is technically ready for a public release, but we are considering modifying our compression technique slightly to save an additional 101 bytes per pack. We are also finalizing the readme and constructing an additional resources directory with source code, and information about construction your own TI-FLOW compatible packs.
TI-FLOW is nearly complete. I recently implemented a new compression algorithm, which takes even less space per level, and a new dynamic custom menu for the end of each level. earthnite has been working on an improved line tracing method which should be faster and more optimized. After that, the only thing that remains is careful optimization and testing. Everything is already highly optimized, so this last phase will hopefully go fairly quickly.

TI-FLOW now also has more intelligent startup behavior, including jumping to the selection page of the next level and support for packs with a number of levels that is not a multiple of 25.

A preview copy of the readme file is available at https://goo.gl/ncSxrx. Please make any comments or recommendations now so that we can take action before the release.
Please give your opinion on this: The TI-FLOW cursor can operate in one of two ways, always blinking, or only blinking when a flow is not selected. With the first option (always) it is easier to keep track of where the cursor is and where you last clicked, but movement with the line is slightly slower. With the second option (sometimes), it is more difficult to keep track of the cursor and where you last clicked, but movement with the line is slightly faster. The second option also takes an additional four bytes of code.

       Always          Sometimes
You should probably have the second option. I think that since it is basic it takes too long for the cursor to show again. Also in pic 2 it seems that there is no cursor with the sometimes. I think it would be good with the cursor on always.
awesommee333 wrote:
Also in pic 2 it seems that there is no cursor with the sometimes.

By "sometimes" it is meant that the cursor only displays when the flow is no selected. We have come up with a compromise solution where the cursor displays when the flow is selected after and extended wait period. This way the cursor does not slow down the movement, but if the person stops moving, then the cursor will display after about a second.

A while back, I mentioned that I made a Java program to quickly compress levels. 700 lines later, we now have a fully-featured pack editor program. This program allows people to easily create their own TI-FLOW packs. The Pack Creator also gives the user the ability to rearrange the order of levels, add or delete levels, and replace an existing level with one of a different size.

The program can also save the pack data to a file so that the user can easily resume later. After creating the pack, the user just has to paste the source code from the formatter window or the text file into SourceCoder and export a .8xp file.

Download
thanks.
earthnite wrote:
Now that TI-FLOW is now complete. We can begin development of CE-FLOW: the TI-84 Plus CE version of the game. Which will support larger boards, more levels, color graphics, and be 100% compatible with TI-FLOW packs and levels.

Can't wait for this, since I have a CE Very Happy Awesome job, by the way.
Very cool! I enjoy playing this game on an iPad - it should make a good addition to my calculator too.
Maybe this is cause I have a ti 84/use os 2.55mp, but all of these levels are incompatible with my ti 84 plus se. I use regular old ti connect btw, and all of the files are incompatible.

EDIT: Turned out hat my ti connect software was just messed up. I reinstalled it and it worked.
awesommee333 wrote:
Maybe this is cause I have a ti 84, but all of these levels are incompatible with my ti 84 plus se. I use regular old ti connect btw, and all of the files are incompatible.

I have a TI-84+SE as well. You may need to upgrade your operating system, or free up some RAM. Try just transferring TIFLOWGP.8xg to your calculator and then ungrouping it.
I'm getting an error when I start any of the packs, and they all highlight a line with what seems to be a MP-OS only command, which renders on my TI-84+ OS 2.43 as garbage. Maybe you should consider rewriting for compatibility with older OSes.
JWinslow23 wrote:
I'm getting an error when I start any of the packs, and they all highlight a line with what seems to be a MP-OS only command, which renders on my TI-84+ OS 2.43 as garbage. Maybe you should consider rewriting for compatibility with older OSes.

You can upgrade your calculator operating system using TI Connect. It is definitely useful for math, and you can change it to CLASSIC mode for running home screen programs. I have not noticed a significant speed difference, and the benefits definitely outweigh the minor consequences. We intentionally chose not to support the older operating systems because that would have made the code slower and larger for most people.
Just wondering. With the level editor, are there any ways to check if the level is legit and works without checking it on calc? You can really only check one lvl at a time with the progress, and if one level doesnt work, you cant check if any other level doesnt work(at least to my knowledge).
jonbush wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:

You can upgrade your calculator operating system using TI Connect. It is definitely useful for math, and you can change it to CLASSIC mode for running home screen programs. I have not noticed a significant speed difference, and the benefits definitely outweigh the minor consequences. We intentionally chose not to support the older operating systems because that would have made the code slower and larger for most people.

Au contraire, jonbush. I actually used to have an MP-OS, but I downgraded with TI Connect, because of a test Xeda Elnara and I conducted back in the day. Of course, that's all an IRC discussion I had which I'm not sure when it was, but I had a MP-OS and she had 2.43, and we tested the length of time it took a program to run on each. Hers was shorter, so I downgraded for the speed upgrade...and besides, MATHPRINT is hard to understand and use for me, and with the extra commands gone, you're not missing much anyways if you know equivalents in pre-MP commands (i.e. LOGBASE as a division of logs).
Would it be at all possible to replace those commands with 2.43 working ones, even if you're not gonna do it?
JWinslow23 wrote:
Au contraire, jonbush. I actually used to have an MP-OS, but I downgraded with TI Connect, because of a test Xeda Elnara and I conducted back in the day. Of course, that's all an IRC discussion I had which I'm not sure when it was, but I had a MP-OS and she had 2.43, and we tested the length of time it took a program to run on each. Hers was shorter, so I downgraded for the speed upgrade...and besides, MATHPRINT is hard to understand and use for me, and with the extra commands gone, you're not missing much anyways if you know equivalents in pre-MP commands (i.e. LOGBASE as a division of logs).
Would it be at all possible to replace those commands with 2.43 working ones, even if you're not gonna do it?

I understand that there is a speed difference, and if you are just using the calculator for games and fun stuff, that may be advantageous. We know all of the pre-MP equivalents, so it should be fairly trivial to make a different version; however, this will be provided in the resources folder and not in the main package. Most people are using MP OSes, and the new commands are definitely faster than their old equivalents.

awesommee333 wrote:
Just wondering. With the level editor, are there any ways to check if the level is legit and works without checking it on calc? You can really only check one lvl at a time with the progress, and if one level doesnt work, you cant check if any other level doesnt work(at least to my knowledge).

There is currently no way to test levels with the level editor. Computationally solving a numberlink board requires satisfiability solving, which can be computationally intensive - especially for larger boards. It may be useful to be able to draw lines between the nodes by hand, but I haven't implemented that.
jonbush wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:
jonbush wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:

I understand that there is a speed difference, and if you are just using the calculator for games and fun stuff, that may be advantageous. We know all of the pre-MP equivalents, so it should be fairly trivial to make a different version; however, this will be provided in the resources folder and not in the main package. Most people are using MP OSes, and the new commands are definitely faster than their old equivalents.

awesommee333 wrote:

There is currently no way to test levels with the level editor. Computationally solving a numberlink board requires satisfiability solving, which can be computationally intensive - especially for larger boards. It may be useful to be able to draw lines between the nodes by hand, but I haven't implemented that.

Understandable. Are they in the resources folder in the current release, or will they be added later? I want to be able to play this awesome game on my TI-84+!

Also, do what Mario Maker did as far as level beating possibility: have the user beat the level before you add it.
jonbush wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:
jonbush wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:

awesommee333 wrote:

Understandable. Are they in the resources folder in the current release, or will they be added later? I want to be able to play this awesome game on my TI-84+!

Also, do what Mario Maker did as far as level beating possibility: have the user beat the level before you add it.
JWinslow23 wrote:

It is not in the current release, but it should be done shortly.

The cursor is limited so that you can see the remaining levels, but you can only select ones you have played and the next one.
jonbush wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:

It is not in the current release, but it should be done shortly.

The cursor is limited so that you can see the remaining levels, but you can only select ones you have played and the next one.

Awesome. Smile Thank you.

Also, how do you delete a post? I accidentally had a post duplicated. Stupid iPad.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours