5%  [ 2 ]
EXTREMELY Pi**ed off
 51%  [ 18 ]
Neutral
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

caleb1997 wrote:
Sad
God...... Here's the bad news: After months of having a CSE, I am sad (read: PIS**D OFF) that I no longer own a graphing calculator. Mad

Last night (10/22/15) , as I was working on my new idea for a game( Piano Tiles), my dad walks in and asks me what I was doing. I said that I was programming. He said "Give it to me" and I did. Well.......... He then took it and broke it over his knee and yelled "I've had ENOUGH OF YOU AND YOUR STUPID FU**ING ADDICTION TO GOD**MN PROGRAMMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" . I said nothing. He stomps from my room, extremely mad. So yeah..... All programs that I have been working on, like the Piano Tile game and the Missile defense game, are now at 0% completion.... And will remain that way until I can manage to leave the house. Why did he have to do this?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Mad

FYI: I don't have a addiction to programming. It does not control my life. I know when to get off my Graphing Calculator and go to bed, or to leave for work, or to do something else.

Well... on 10/22/15, at 8:15 pm, my dear TI-84+ CSE died, destroyed by .... Well, it's obvious.
I dearly miss my CSE, and have done many things of note with it, such as:
Program Ping-Pong, Galaga, Battleship, Lighting Show, Screensaver, Frogger, and even get started on a Magic: The Gathering program. All of which are backed up, and the piano tiles game and the missile defense game are lost... but those are relatively new. I can handle those losses.

I have also done many, many math problems, used the solver, and worked with it, yelled at it, loved it, even named it Blue Zapper.

When I last saw it, the screen was shattered, or what was left of the screen was shattered. The motherboard and the CPU was broken in half, and the battery cables that connect the battery to the calculator were ripped out. The plastic casing was absolutely destroyed, and even now.... I shudder to even think about it. It's taking all of my strength just to write this without crying.

But now it's all gone. Gone...... Forever. Blue Zapper will be dearly missed.

Farewell, Blue Zapper, TI-84+ CSE that you are. I hope you have a better life in the afterlife. Crying
Sad, as my dad is (not that extremely, of course) also a bit like yours...

He doesn't like my calculator, he even sometimes forbids me to use it.

And sad because they seem both not to have any idea about programming. At least my dad never did that and he thinks it is making me stupid.
Yeah.... Enjoy it while you can, Nik, because it might not last much longer.
Poor Zapper.
Well, it's not that bad and my dad would hear at me if I talked to him about that. ButI just wonder how the hell to explain my parents that a calculator itself my educate me Wink...

Thanks for the support anyways!
The only way I can see this situation ever taking place is if he was on drugs. Is he an alcoholic? get him into rehab.
Tell him that almost everything in the real world is made possible by programming.
Tell him that there's a shortage of employees in the STEM fields. Tell him that you were developing the skills you need for your future employment. And tell him that if you're addicted to making the world a better place, then you're a human like everyone else.
ReGuess wrote:
The only way I can see this situation ever taking place is if he was on drugs. Is he an alcoholic? get him into rehab.
Tell him that almost everything in the real world is made possible by programming.
Tell him that there's a shortage of employees in the STEM fields. Tell him that you were developing the skills you need for your future employment. And tell him that if you're addicted to making the world a better place, then you're a human like everyone else.

Good Idea Good Idea *claps* nice one. I totally agree with you. Either he was drunk which is very likely or he's just really stupid...
That's really very terrible. I'm sorry to hear that. Sad
Reading this made me extremely furious. What does your dad think you should be doing as a job? It sounds like he doesn't understand the STEM fields exist. Also, those things are hella expensive. Did you buy it yourself?
This is quite a story, it's a shame that he doesn't see the world the way *we* do, I'm assuming he doesn't work in a techy field. The way I see it, programming can only be a good thing, it doesn't bother anyone and you get to create cool things. Also, I don't see why it was necessary to break the calculator... like if he didn't want you using it, taking it away/selling it would have been a better option, would have been less brutal and financially sound. (not that I agree with your dad's opinion)
That's quite over-the-top! I understand the general idea of your your father, as mine has the same attitude of hatred for electronic devices (but he doesn't have the guts to face me about it, which is good since his hatred is irrational anyway - he loves music and owns a fancy MP3 player, but never mind that). Sounds kind of abusive to me though, to yell at your kid, or more than that to break their possessions, unless he is the one who paid for it.

I hope you'll find a way to keep programming if it's what you enjoy.

You're missing an entry; "sad" and "wailing" are kind of similar, but you lack one for "ill".
Holy crud!! I thought MY parents were technophobes, but at least they just take my stuff away and don't *shudder* break it.

That would have been fighting grounds in my house. Like, a declaration of war. My father probably would have had a hole in his TV afterwards.

I feel your pain. I get attached to my devices as well... Really sorry for your loss.
Interestingly, the worst part is not the lost calculator and not the lost data.
Actually the worst and most disturbing part is that it was your dad and not, let's say your classmate, breaking the calculator.

But it doesn't really help anyone to just be sad/mad/whatever. You need to talk to your dad, and replace the losses. If you can explain your opinion to him in a way he would like to hear it, it would make things a whole lot easier.
Also, if you could show him something really impressive you made I am sure he will think about that once more.
If I can help somehow reprogramming the lost data without owning a CSE will be glad to do it...

Did you talk to him yet? If yes, what did he say?
Well.... After realizing what he did, and doing some research on STEM, he decided to....... replace my calc. He did apologize, and no, he's not on drugs, or an alcoholic, or anything like that. It's just that my little sister has been a "insert appropriate insult here" and has been just making him madder and madder. Not to mention that we just moved, so that only adds to the stress. At least it was only a calc and not something worse. But...... at least I have a new one. That HE bought. And gave to me as a apology. But.... Blue Zapper will still be missed, because he was the original.

Speaking of new calcs, I got a CSE, a blue one with a red slider case, with the promise to never, ever do something like this again. So that's the plus. And today(10/30/15), I managed to upload the backup to the calc. So there's that.
A shame he didn't get you a CE, they are only $90 at Walmart these days, which is cool.
Well.... It's better than nothing at all. So I'm not complaining.
caleb1997 wrote:
I got a CSE, a blue one with a red slider case, with the promise to never, ever do something like this again. So that's the plus. And today(10/30/15), I managed to upload the backup to the calc. So there's that.

I'm glad the conflict was resolved, despite the lost data.
Was the backup a previous upload, data that you somehow salvaged from the calculator?
Yes, it was. I am always trying to backup my calc, and fortunately, this one worked. Now I can start play Galaga again!
Glad you got it replaced and that everything was resolved with your dad and his opinion of programming/STEM.
I can't believe there are those types of people out there. I myself am totally used to people saying I shouldn't be using my calculator, or taking it away, but smashing it over their knee? It's people like that that I believe make the world a crappier, more frustrating place. Mad

After reading that, I myself am worried about all of my other electronics (computer, Wii U and Gamepad, RDP, both calculators I have, etc.) and worried that they too will be broken beyond repair in a fit of rage from somebody else. All I can do is pray that won't ever happen to me, but the possibility is frightening. If you got it sorted out, you're extremely lucky.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours