Doctor Who Season 9 with Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman airs on September 19th.

In the previous season, we saw Peter Capaldi take on the role of the Doctor and Jenna Coleman continuing her role as Clara Oswald. In this season we were introduced to a new nemesis, Missy. Clara works at a school and falls in love with a fellow educator, Danny Pink. Later on the series the Cybermen make a return and Missy is revealed to be a revitalized Master. Danny Pink becomes a Cyberman himself; When Danny is "converted" his mind is sent to a "purgatory" of sorts inside a sphere. Danny somehow manages to still keep part of his mind and at the end of the series makes a sacrifice to save the planet.

If I missed anything, please contribute below and I'll edit it in.

You can purchase the season pass to Season 9 at the following locations:

(Standard Definition prices are around USD$23.99)

Feel free to use this topic to discuss Season 9 episodes and matter of conversation.

Episodes & Dates
    1. The Magicians Apprentice
      • September 19th
    2. The Witch's Familiar
      • September 26th
    3. Under the Lake
      • October 3rd
    4. Before the Flood
      • October 10th
    5. The Girl Who Died
      • October 17th
    6. The Woman Who Lived
      • October 24th
    7. The Zygon Invasion
      • October 31st
    8. The Zygon Inversion
      • November 7th
    9. Sleep No More
      • November 14th
    10. Face the Raven
      • November 21st
    11. Heaven Sent
      • November 28th
    12. Hell Bent
      • December 5th

Looks like there are plenty of two-parters. Oh joy.

Here's to a season of adventure!
Is it possible - a modern season of Doctor Who with no disjointed gaps in the broadcast schedule? This'll be fantastic.

[edit]

Okay, so, thoughts on Magician's Apprentice:

• Missy is going to get really annoying, really fast. It's like the worst attributes of River Song and the John Simms Master.
  • Screw "big reset button"s, which is obviously where this is going (unless it's aping Bad Wolf, I can't tell if the updated "Dalek weapon effect" is supposed to be a clue, or just ignored, which would be worse in the "comparing ST:ID to Wrath of Khan" sort of way)
  • At least in outline, this story had the potential to be really well done, but it tried too hard to be "wacky random fun" and ended up feeling a bit like this. Here's hoping the second part pulls it back together, but the trailer left me thinking they were just going to erase all character development since Eccleston's first Dalek episode.
My thoughts on last night's episode:

Clara being included into UNIT's main structure like she is amuses me. I know she's essentially a direct line to the Doctor, but still. All of a sudden she's smarter than all of them, which kind of annoys me. <.<

I agree on the dalek's beams making the people disappear. This happened with Missy and she's still there. Something's strange about that.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the end of the episode plays out into the next one, to see if he's going after the kid, or the threat around the kid.
I am not a fan of where the series is going. The Daleks have been an enemy for countless seasons, and they've been "destroyed" maybe twice? Why is there always another head-honcho of the Daleks? It seems like Moffat(?) is saying "loljk, here's a new guy whose supposedly been controlling the Daleks for ever and when the Doctor sucked the Daleks into another dimension Davros just made thousands more." It seems like the Doctor knew who Davros was so when he set out to destroy the Daleks before why didn't we get introduced to Davros then? Why did he think the Daleks were finally defeated in those previous seasons/episodes?

Then, the planes. For the a plane to be that low (to provide shade for them during the cafe scene) then to be let back into time, or whatever, and not have any immediate reactions from the pilots as to like "Oh man, we're too low! Full throttle and pull up!" I know it's a SciFi show and I'm probably taking a lot of things more critically than the show intends but it breaks the reality for me. I they're not breaking the fourth wall, but it feels just as bad.

Missy is coming back. I mean, we know Clara is going to be in for the whole season and she got shot by the Daleks beam. But that could be because the Doctor is going to prevent that from happening by going back into the past with the kid. This season seems to be the Two-Part Episode season and so far they aren't doing it very well in my opinion.

elfprince13 wrote:
Is it possible - a modern season of Doctor Who with no disjointed gaps in the broadcast schedule? This'll be fantastic.

I don't know the dates for sure, I'm just believing it'll be every weekend since when buying Season 9 online it isn't labeled as "Part 1," like Seasons 5-7 were.
comicIDIOT wrote:
It seems like Moffat(?) is saying "0x5, here's a new guy whose supposedly been controlling the Daleks for ever and when the Doctor sucked the Daleks into another dimension Davros just made thousands more." It seems like the Doctor knew who Davros was so when he set out to destroy the Daleks before why didn't we get introduced to Davros then? Why did he think the Daleks were finally defeated in those previous seasons/episodes?

Huh? Davros is one of the longest running characters in the franchise.

comicIDIOT wrote:
Then, the planes. For the a plane to be that low (to provide shade for them during the cafe scene) then to be let back into time, or whatever, and not have any immediate reactions from the pilots as to like "Oh man, we're too low! Full throttle and pull up!" I know it's a SciFi show and I'm probably taking a lot of things more critically than the show intends but it breaks the reality for me. I they're not breaking the fourth wall, but it feels just as bad.

I had that thought initially, but presumably they're near an airport... this isn't that weird.
elfprince13 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
It seems like Moffat(?) is saying "0x5, here's a new guy whose supposedly been controlling the Daleks for ever and when the Doctor sucked the Daleks into another dimension Davros just made thousands more." It seems like the Doctor knew who Davros was so when he set out to destroy the Daleks before why didn't we get introduced to Davros then? Why did he think the Daleks were finally defeated in those previous seasons/episodes?

As someone who has rewatched all the episodes, even the Classic prior to the 50th Anniversary, I feel very lost now. I could probably benefit from watching them again but I feel like I'll just forget the details again. Such is life.

I also don't get far into the lore of things: I don't read the wikis, the fan pages, the fan stories, etc. I hate following stories in games and TV shows, I forget the details pretty easily. Sad The only reason I keep watching DW is becomes most of my friends watch. I stopped watching Agents of Shield half way into S1. Stopped watching GoT in S1. I loved both those shows but didn't have a community like this to post about it. But now I'm just going off on a tangent. Bad Idea
comicIDIOT wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

As someone who has rewatched all the episodes, even the Classic prior to the 50th Anniversary, I feel very lost now. I could probably benefit from watching them again but I feel like I'll just forget the details again. Such is life.

Basically, Davros is the guy who invented the Daleks (and this has been well-established for 40 or so years). His previous appearance was the 2008 season finale when the Daleks stole a bunch of planets, which wrapped up the "Cult of Skaro" arc that had been running for three years at that point.

comicIDIOT wrote:
I also don't get far into the lore of things: I don't read the wikis, the fan pages, the fan stories, etc. I hate following stories in games and TV shows, I forget the details pretty easily. Sad The only reason I keep watching DW is becomes most of my friends watch.

Doctor Who is the sort of show where you can usually get away with ignoring lore ("he's an alien with a time machine disguised as a phone booth that's bigger on the inside, he has two hearts and grows a new body when he dies, and hangs out with cute earth girls" is pretty much all you need to know to get into it), but there are certain iconic characters you should probably be familiar with. Davros is one of them.
I'm glad elfprince had comic's schooling on Davros, because I was about to do it myself. Smile

So I thought that the first episode of the season seemed like it's headed in the right direction away from the veritable train wreck that was last season, although as stated above, I still find Clara's role to be a little strange. The inclusion in UNIT seems to be pretty arbitrary, as she doesn't seem to have gained any particular skills or training for dealing with aliens when the Doctor isn't around to me. About the disappearing/disintegrating beams from the Daleks, I too was convinced that Missy, Clara, the TARDIS, and even the men that were "killed" in the square survived, but I assumed that it was Missy's subterfuge rather than anything planned by the Daleks. A Dalek trap does indeed sound more probable to me, a trap that Missy will no doubt use to double-cross the Daleks and perhaps once again try to steal the TARDIS. We shall see tomorrow!
Indeed. While reading up (read: looking at the pics), I vaguely remembered some guy in a wheelchair-esque contraption while watching the Classic Who but I did not remember his name. So, I'm definitely familiar with him as a character in the franchise but still very empty on his background.
I'll be 100% Frank here, for the first few parts of the episode all I could notice were the zippers on Claras jacket.

But, I liked it. Seeing the Doctor with Regenerating pizzazz gives me hope we'll see the series continue on beyond Capaldi. I both fear and hope a few Daleks survived - as they showed them flying above the city during the start of the destruction - and w'll have some pretty cool new enemies. I also imagine we'll be seeing the Doctor learning more about the Daleks emotions through Clara; where Love = Exterminate and their name = Dalek.

Edit, about series continuation. Copied from a DoctorWho IRC channel I'm on:
Quote:
Mattheous :: Of course the series will continue beyond Capaldi.
Mattheous :: The BBC would have to be idiots to kill their number 1 money maker now that Top Gear is gone.
@comic :: True
@comic :: My main concern was that Moffat claimed Capaldi was the 13th (when he's really the 12th) because Tennant used a regeneration somewhere in his run
@comic :: And Also the War Doctor
@comic :: Which was supposedly between the 8th and 9th? I think?
@comic :: So, really, that puts Calpaldi at 14 instead of 13
@comic :: Anyways, going back around, I wasn't sure how they were going to spin off more regenerations unless they referenced the fact that River used her regeneration energy to bring Matt Smith back to life in that Nazi episode
@comic :: Wow, I'm surprised I remember that
@comic :: I don't know if she used all of hers or just one thiugh
Episode 3
This was an interesting one. I actually got scared for the crew a few times, I felt like I was pulled into the story. How their eyes and eye sockets were completely missing and you could see to the back of their head. Their hollow head. Creepy. I found it creepier than the Vashta Nerada or whatever the Library creatures were. There was great detail too. You could see them talking long before the Doctor and Crew made the observation. I think that showed that cast were thinking on their feet and noticing larger observations first before noticing the smaller things.

I really should have wrote this right after I watched it because I've already forgotten the rest I wanted to bring up. I'll spend some time tomorrow rewatching and either update my post or make a new post. But I think this was the best one out of all 3 so far this season and perhaps the best DW episode for Capaldi.
The Timelord's granted the Doctor a fresh set of regenerations, or we wouldn't have gotten Capaldi at all. That was the whole "him getting super old in that one town" episode. So no fear on continuing the series beyond him.

Regarding episode #2, having Clara in the Dalek was definitely a bit ominous, given how we first met her, and the Davros/Doctor interactions were pretty great, but overall the episode was still a bit wanting. Moffat is clearly recycling ideas at this point (pop quiz: the key strategic weakness of *which* race is that their dead outnumber the living? (a) Daleks (b) Humans (c) All of the above).

On episode #3: this was definitely one of the strongest episodes in a while (definitely better than anything last season, and the best start to a multipart episode since The Rebel Flesh). Definitely looking forward to the second half.
elfprince13 wrote:
The Timelord's granted the Doctor a fresh set of regenerations, or we wouldn't have gotten Capaldi at all. That was the whole "him getting super old in that one town" episode. So no fear on continuing the series beyond him.
Ugh, I can't believe you reminded me how disgustingly lazily that important milestone in the fifty-year-old series got handwaved. Neutral MOFFFATTTTTTT.
Quote:
Regarding episode #2, having Clara in the Dalek was definitely a bit ominous, given how we first met her, and the Davros/Doctor interactions were pretty great, but overall the episode was still a bit wanting. Moffat is clearly recycling ideas at this point (pop quiz: the key strategic weakness of *which* race is that their dead outnumber the living? (a) Daleks (b) Humans (c) All of the above).
Excellent point. As I was discussing with one of my most knowledgeable Whovian friends, certainly they could have just flown upwards and escaped the Dalek sludge...

Quote:
On episode #3: this was definitely one of the strongest episodes in a while (definitely better than anything last season, and the best start to a multipart episode since The Rebel Flesh). Definitely looking forward to the second half.
Components: (1) time travel; (2) running; (3) things that seem supernatural but are probably not; (4) traps that backfire. Seems like a solid, classic Doctor Who episode to me. I feel that the "Doctor is dead" ending was a little silly, because we know that he's not actually dead and probably just figured out how to mess with the McGuffin in some way, but I also won't deny that it was a great episode-closing shock scene. I'm really hoping that the Doctor is going to be able to explain why it's okay to go back on established events in his own timeline, though.
Episode 3 Continued

After having watched this again, here are some of the smaller things I took away.

• The deaf woman, Cass, doesn't let that guy in. The black guy saw the text and it lit up in his eyes. He dies.
  • When Clara and the Doctor first arrive. The "Ghosts" don't try to kill them UNTIL they look at the inscription.
  • Later on in the episode, the guy who hasn't seen the inscription gets cornered but doesn't get attacked. I assume the other crew looked at the inscription. Very similar to when the two ghosts get close to Clara and the Doctor.
  • When the oil CEO guy turns into a ghost and picks up the chair, the station goes into day mode shortly after. He vanishes and the chair drops. So, why, earlier on in the episode did the station go into Night Mode early? Was that just an oversight in the writing or did the ghosts manage to shorten the day cycle while lengthening the night cycle while they were physical? Cause we haven't been shown that they have any power when they are gone.
1) Yes, the Doctor figured out that they only wanted to kill them after they had already seen the "magnetic" writing, because if they killed them first, they wouldn't act like transmitters/beacons sending out those coordinates.
2) The ghosts figured out how to make the computers end Day Mode early during the last Night Mode.
KermMartian wrote:
1) Yes, the Doctor figured out that they only wanted to kill them after they had already seen the "magnetic" writing, because if they killed them first, they wouldn't act like transmitters/beacons sending out those coordinates.

Oh yeah. I had totally forgotten about that. Something about seeing the words and subconsciously thinking it and altering your brain pattern. I remember now! Haha

Quote:
2) The ghosts figured out how to make the computers end Day Mode early during the last Night Mode.

That does seem the most plausible.
Lol. All you Doctor Who fans just mooning over the "new" Doctor Who series whereas I, am an original, diehard 1969 Star Trek Fan.
*Spoiler Alert*
Yep.
The latest movie? Into Darkness?
That's a remake of a very old Star Trek episode where Khan and all his friends are alive.
The Kobyashi Maru test? In the simplest way possible to explain this, he basically sets the difficulty lower.
Kirk is the only person to ever pass it.
Spock didn't even pass it.
Speaking of which, Leonard Nimoy, who played Future Spock in the new remakes and the Legit Spock in the old series, died a few months back. Sad
This seems like feeding a troll, but....

What a strange way of thinking, that people can only be fans of one thing (I say while wearing a TNG hoodie, a Doctor Who t-shirt, a Firefly hat, Transformers pajamas, and sitting next to a Star Wars umbrella).

Also, a significant fraction of the people in this topic have both watched all of Star Trek TOS, and a big chunk of the older seasons of Doctor Who.
Thoughts on "Before the Flood".

• 4th-wall breaking intro was reminiscent (in a good way) of the Doctor's hypothesis-lecture in Listen, but lampshading the solution so early on removed a lot of narrative tension.
  • Apparently Toby Whithouse really likes his Tivolians idea and has to shoehorn them in everywhere as a pet project. I wouldn't mind if they became a running joke on the show, but it would be nice for other writers to work them in to episodes where they fit better.
  • As a fan of Arthurian legends, I wish they'd actually made use of the Fisher King myth, or picked a different name, because it ended up just being a distraction for me.
  • I really liked Cass's character. Having watched the Daredevil miniseries earlier this year I'd really like to see more shows make effective use of disabled characters instead of pretending they don't exist.
  • Clara's character is like the anti-Donna Noble, and I increasingly think she's a bad influence on the Doctor's character (which is a very different dynamic from past companions who were good influences in grounding him). I'll be very curious to see how she develops over the course of the season.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours