Today I decided to take an old project of mine, Age of Darkness: Revenge and see what kind of life I might be able to breathe back into it on the CE. I'm using only BASIC so far, with an adapted hex2sprite displayer using monochrome hex data.

The first test was displaying one of the enemy sprites, which is a 16x16 sprite.

video depicting CE display:

My next test shall be converting the map sprites to hex usable data and seeing how fast it can display the map sprites. Just something for fun.
As i said on yt, looking pretty sweet! Smile.
So I've been working on a tile mapper using monochrome 8x8 sprites, beefed up using 3x3 'pixels' instead of using a single pixel.

Here is what I was originally working with:

And this is what I've come up with on the CE:

I know it isn't the fastest thing out there, this is just me playing around and testing things on the CE, in all BASIC as we have no asm libraries to play around with yet. I should totally try DrDnar's speed up program for this.. Very Happy

Anyways, for fun, here are the original, available sprites from Age of Darkness: Revenge for the map:

Cool! At first I thought you were using matrices to do this, but you said you are using an adapted hex2sprite displayer...? What is that? Or are you still using matrices?
I switched over to a list based map storage system to know where to put what. Hex2Sprite simply takes hex data to generate the pixel data, which you can find here for monochrome and here for the CSE/CE. The CSE/CE one utilizes actual colors for generating sprites, of course.

The idea of the project was to simplify data storage by using only monochrome sprite data, in the hopes of decreasing the amount of time it takes to generate the map.
Made some progress tonight, have the character being created and aligned where it should start out, need to write up the clearing of the character, and possibly make a moving engine, just to see how bad it's going to be.
Wow, although that is slow, I am impressed at the speed increase on the CE compared to the SE. I am definitively curious about how fast such game could get if it benefited from ASM libs.
As you were saying on HCWP tonight, I'll look into what it will take to convert Celtic 2 CSE (the program version) to work on the new calculator. The functions that work with AppVars and programs will definitely require significant overhauls, and I may have to ask MateoConLechuga if I can borrow his sprite routines to save time, but it could be a reasonable project. Hopefully needless to say, I'll need to wait until I make further headway on a few professional projects first. Smile Keep up the great work.
KermMartian wrote:
As you were saying on HCWP tonight, I'll look into what it will take to convert Celtic 2 CSE (the program version) to work on the new calculator. The functions that work with AppVars and programs will definitely require significant overhauls, and I may have to ask MateoConLechuga if I can borrow his sprite routines to save time, but it could be a reasonable project. Hopefully needless to say, I'll need to wait until I make further headway on a few professional projects first. Smile Keep up the great work.

Sure; I have some sprite routines that could work. I would recommend using 8bpp palatalized mode, as that is what I will be making most things in. I have clipped sprite routines for the bpp modes as well; and I imagine that tr1p1ea has some sweet ones too. Wink I also have some AppVar and program reading/searching routines if at all applicable. This makes the screen 120x160; not sure if that is beneficial or not. If you would like; I could make a post about it or somethings else if you prefer. Thanks! Smile
This morning I got the little character to move around on the screen, and even implemented code to where if it can't move, it won't even clear itself. I need to figure out a way to check the 4 direction for a list of values instead of just one, but for the moment, it works. Once I get it to move between map segments, I'll probably post a video, and the code.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Sure; I have some sprite routines that could work. I would recommend using 8bpp palatalized mode, as that is what I will be making most things in. I have clipped sprite routines for the bpp modes as well; and I imagine that tr1p1ea has some sweet ones too. Wink I also have some AppVar and program reading/searching routines if at all applicable. This makes the screen 120x160; not sure if that is beneficial or not. If you would like; I could make a post about it or somethings else if you prefer. Thanks! Smile
For Celtic 2 CSE, only 4bpp (15+transparent) is needed, because Celtic 2 CSE uses the OS colors. However, in the Xbpp modes, does the rest of the screen remain in 16-bit mode? I'd assume not, which won't work for C2CSE. I'd love to see your AppVar and program searching/reading routines as well. Smile

tifreak8x wrote:
This morning I got the little character to move around on the screen, and even implemented code to where if it can't move, it won't even clear itself. I need to figure out a way to check the 4 direction for a list of values instead of just one, but for the moment, it works. Once I get it to move between map segments, I'll probably post a video, and the code.
That sounds like excellent progress! I can't wait to see how it looks.
KermMartian wrote:
For Celtic 2 CSE, only 4bpp (15+transparent) is needed, because Celtic 2 CSE uses the OS colors. However, in the Xbpp modes, does the rest of the screen remain in 16-bit mode? I'd assume not, which won't work for C2CSE. I'd love to see your AppVar and program searching/reading routines as well. Smile

Well, actually, I have both because I made some before we found out about MMIO, and I have a really nice 4bpp clipped sprite routine that operates in 16bpp, and relys on a palette that can be defined in code, or I guess you can make it use OS colors. I'll update my past post to include that thing. Smile

EDIT: Course; I have not done things like buffer it yet for these versions; but that should be relatively easy to implement. You can check out the earlier version here while I get all of my things together. Smile

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11407&highlight=

EDIT: Also, back on topic:
Very nice work tifreak! I too am grateful for the speed increase for the CE; it is going to be very useful. About how long does it take to do a full screen draw with this routine?
Somewhere around 28ish seconds to draw out the map? Give or take, I need to look at the code a little harder and see if there are any speed optimizations I might be able to make. I've been focusing on getting the character to move around the map and move from one map segment to another. Regardless, I don't think this works fast enough to be useful in a full fledged game as is. It's mostly just a fun test of things.
*necro-ish bump*

Hey tifreak, are you still working on this in some form or another?
I have to see if I had any of it saved to my computer, I failed to back up the files before updating the OS on my CE. Shouldn't take too terribly long to rebuild, I guess.

Anything in particular you'd want it for? Very Happy
Just a note, only thing that needs doing for this now is to make the character move around the map and add in some form of hit detection. Thinking about releasing this as some kind of engine when I make it to transition between screens, if anyone has any interest in this.
tifreak8x wrote:
Just a note, only thing that needs doing for this now is to make the character move around the map and add in some form of hit detection. Thinking about releasing this as some kind of engine when I make it to transition between screens, if anyone has any interest in this.
That's great; I didn't realize how far along it was. You should definitely release it as an engine for starters, and I hope you might be able to turn it into a full game if you have the time and inclination.
This is the game that is waiting more so on some form of Celtic to be available, for the memory management functions. Mostly access to appvar stuff. I need to make a screenshot of the title stuff, but for now, I'm poking and prodding along with this.
tifreak8x wrote:
This is the game that is waiting more so on some form of Celtic to be available, for the memory management functions. Mostly access to appvar stuff. I need to make a screenshot of the title stuff, but for now, I'm poking and prodding along with this.
Ah, right, good point. I did finally start working on Doors CSE for the TI-84 Plus CE in between Maker Faire, my PhD work, paper deadlines, and conferences. I therefore do hope that sooner rather than later I'll have a Celtic 2 CE (?) for you to use for this and other projects. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours