Quote:
Are there any known issues with the latest OS and libhpcalcs?

No known issues between firmware revision 8151 and libhpcalcs, but I have no proof that anybody, until you, tried Smile

Quote:
Anyways, I'm trying to think about a cross-platform firmware flashing tool. I'm thinking of having a Python script issuing reads/writes to the calc.

Good idea for the short term: scripting languages are excellent for prototyping the protocol implementation, and Python has become the most popular scripting language.
For the longer term, like anything but C, it has poor interoperability, and therefore, the stabilized code should be rewritten in C.

Quote:
Possibly reading in a file that specifies how to flash it (Like, read n bytes from x offset into abc.ROM to LBA=0xABCD1234, etc.) that would let installing a new OS easy.

Sure, this could do the job.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Quote:
Are there any known issues with the latest OS and libhpcalcs?

No known issues between firmware revision 8151 and libhpcalcs, but I have no proof that anybody, until you, tried Smile

I'll have to dig into that.

Lionel Debroux wrote:
Quote:
Anyways, I'm trying to think about a cross-platform firmware flashing tool. I'm thinking of having a Python script issuing reads/writes to the calc.

Good idea for the short term: scripting languages are excellent for prototyping the protocol implementation, and Python has become the most popular scripting language.
For the longer term, like anything but C, it has poor interoperability, and therefore, the stabilized code should be rewritten in C.

Indeed, I want to at least run commands against it, but probably having MSD be a part of hpcables would be best.
Quote:
but probably having MSD be a part of hpcables would be best.

Yeah, and we can grab a bit of code from libticables, for e.g. probing.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Yeah, and we can grab a bit of code from libticables, for e.g. probing.

Is that part of the nspire code? I am assuming you mean MSD-related probing, not the (e)z80/m68k calcs probing.
I'm thinking of the USB enumeration code, for a start, but probably little beyond that.
I know why libhpcalcs didn't detect the calc, first line should be obvious:
Code:
Bus 006 Device 005: ID 03f0:1541 Hewlett-Packard
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x03f0 Hewlett-Packard
  idProduct          0x1541
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 Hewlett-Packard
  iProduct                2 HP Prime Calculator
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           41
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.01
          bCountryCode            0 Not supported
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength      24
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               1
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

Guess I should have it detect both PIDs... I hope the protocol didn't change.

<edit> Get info action works now, seems like either the format changed or libhpcalcs didn't parse it properly.
Aha. If the PID changed, of course...
So you were officially the first libhpcalcs user trying to communicate with a Prime calculator running the latest firmware version - or, but that is very unlikely, your Prime is acting weird.

libhpcalcs doesn't attempt to parse the packet returned by the calculator after it receives the "get infos" command.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Aha. If the PID changed, of course...
So you were officially the first libhpcalcs user trying to communicate with a Prime calculator running the latest firmware version - or, but that is very unlikely, your Prime is acting weird.

libhpcalcs doesn't attempt to parse the packet returned by the calculator after it receives the "get infos" command.

Prime revalidated the firmware (somehow I triggered that) and still has a new PID.

The get infos command failed in receiving the virtual packet iirc. Adding both PIDs in libhpcalcs picked my calc up just fine.
I sent the firmware 2 more times, now totaling 3 usbpcap dumps. I am seeing that the random data sent by the PC is likely uninitialized data (I am seeing parts of the USB packet being built and other bits) as the data keeps changing (calc zero-initializes). I've updated my MSD wiki page with information on commands used. I still have to get around to sending SCSI commands.
Heh, calc now zero-initializes packets ? It used not to.
From the packet dumps I see with usbpcap, the MSD packets' unused bytes are 0'd, whereas the PC sends whatever's in memory.

Anyways, I just got the test program and hpcalcs to reboot the prime. I just run `dd if=/dev/sdi of=dump.bin bs=16384`, got a 267MB dump back at 9.9 MB/s Very Happy

I'll have to look at sending now. I'd love to test sending something to it, but need more info on the whole process, like how does the progress bar on-screen know the size it will receive, is it hard-coded? Or is it sent? I'll have to dig that up.

@debrouxl: Also, since you managed to send custom machine code, I recall checksums being involved. Do you know if there is data validation on the OS data being sent?
Quote:
got a 267MB dump back at 9.9 MB/s Very Happy

Yeah, the Prime's USB controller is known to be fast Smile

Quote:
like how does the progress bar on-screen know the size it will receive, is it hard-coded? Or is it sent? I'll have to dig that up.

I don't know who builds progress information. It could be built by the CK on the computer side, given that the size received by the calculator is pretty much the sum of the components.

In order to keep the implementation simpler at first, libhpcalcs is missing libticalcs' progress information support (or rather, something inspired by it, Benjamin and I have been less than fully happy with it for years). In libticalcs, the total data size, used as upper bound for the progress information when sending data, is usually built by the computer side.

Quote:
@debrouxl: Also, since you managed to send custom machine code, I recall checksums being involved. Do you know if there is data validation on the OS data being sent?

When critor sent an modified official firmware (just fiddling with a string) to his calculator, he didn't have to update a checksum. Likewise, my crappy third-party firmware PoC (armfir.elf embedded into the apps disk) contains no checksum. Therefore, I'm not convinced there's data validation (beyond individual packets) on the OS data being sent.

EDIT: in libhpcalcs, for a start, there should be an operation (new field in the function pointers struct) to switch to firmware download mode. "switch_to_recovery_mode" or something like that.
I was playing with SCSI commands in python today trying to figure out how the Prime's Recovery Mode works. I have been able to control the progress bar on the screen, but am still working on it. I've ran into an issue, not sure who to blame, but a command that returns a CHECK CONDITION is getting automatically handled and the Prime gets reset. But that is part of their protocol, windows doesn't do anything crazy with it.

The length of reads to 0xaa defines a command. It seems that to have reads and writes to 0xaa get handled by the recovery mode, you need to READ(10) LBA:0xAA Len: 30. The conn kit does it twice, so do I, but after that, 0xAA responds with a magic number and acts as a command/status address.

With that done, I'm able to advance the progress bar from 0x00 to 0x64. Decreasing does not have any visible change (maybe because the screen isn't getting erased?). Going above 0x64 doesn't glitch up, don't know if it ignores or jumps to the end.

I haven't been successful with the finalization/reboot command yet, nor have I attempted to do any writes.

Once I have enough info, I could add this to hpcables. What do you think, should the prime in recovery mode be added as a new cable/model? You could reuse some of the same commands possibly? But flashing will probably need its own new command, can't really hijack file sending commands.
Quote:
What do you think, should the prime in recovery mode be added as a new cable/model?

It's definitely a new cable, and quite possibly a new model as well.

Quote:
You could reuse some of the same commands possibly? But flashing will probably need its own new command, can't really hijack file sending commands.

Yeah, there's low potential for reuse, and flashing needs its own new command.
Nudged by KermM: I updated my MSD wiki page with the information I found from experimentation in my last post.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours