That's right, I'm making another calc game. It will be a port of none other than:

(title screen above just a mockup at this point, is not in this version of the game)

As of now, this is an extremely early pre-pre-alpha v0.0.0.0.1.0 version of the game, so do not expect anything more out of it than what it gives as of now.

For those who don't know what that is, it is an NES game featuring the mascot of 7-Up, Cool Spot, which takes on a style similar to that of Othello (Reversi for some people). You can duplicate spots on the board by placing them 1 square away, or move spots on the board by placing them 2 squares away. If there are spots of the opponent's color directly around the ending square, it flips them to your color. Fun concept, and interesting to play.

What I hope to do is to make the magic of that game (yes, even the animations Spot does during moves) appear on my TI-84+ calculator. Sure, this would be simple to program in TI-BASIC, and I may do that at one point as well, but I don't simply want it for the gameplay. I want to test myself to see if I can recreate the stunning visuals in 3-level grayscale on a 96x64 pixel screen. So far, I think I did a good job with the "spot selected" animation.

(I swear, grayscale looks fine on-calc. I don't know how to Wabbitemu settings Razz )

ARROW KEYS - Move your cursor
2ND - Select spot and destination spot
CLEAR - Exit at any time

I have implemented a semi-playable 2 player version (one player takes a turn, then the other, etc). There is no spot flipping yet. Game over and "winning" is also not handled at all, so you must quit out if the board gets full or you cannot move any pieces.

Source code is here. Compiled program is here.

With that, it's back to sprite editing and coding. Give me feedback, tell me what you think!
Bump.

Bump.

I finally started to get animations to work!

The only animation I've included thus far is the up-2 left-2 cartwheel, and if you make any move, it defaults to that animation (so doing it with any other move will look weird, but still work). I also split the "main code" and "graphics and custom variable definitions" into two source files.

Source files available for download, as well as the compiled program. Tell me what you think!
Looks nice! I'll have to give it a try sometime.
Looks really nice! Though the custom font you made is cool, I think you should probably go with regular Text() to make it more readable.
Michael2_3B wrote:
Looks really nice! Though the custom font you made is cool, I think you should probably go with regular Text() to make it more readable.

Thank you! And I made no custom font. The only thing I made that's custom text is the SPOT logo itself. Everything else is TI's font (if there are inconsistencies, it's because I don't exactly remember what it looks like). I haven't even made that title screen yet anyhow Razz
Ivoah wrote:
Looks nice! I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Thanks. Check back often, on Omnimaga, CodeWalrus, and Cemetech. Updates are sure to come frequently. If no update, at least I'll finish graphics ASAP.
right click the emulated Graphing Calculator: under calculator: settings
then click on the screen settings and mess around

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours