I got 2-3 questions, first one, is the recursive n actually faster than other vars? I've been told you save 0.5ms every time you call it... 2nd one, I could probably find this on some wiki, but is there a limit to the size of a string, and how much slower would a sub( command be in a bigger string (say twice the size)? Is there a way to calculate it taking into account the size of the string? If the string only contains numbers, would I be better off with a list? Assuming there are less than 999 elements of course...
Completely unrelated to the other questions, why does

Code:
Repeat [A](X,Y

return a dim error when

Code:
[A](X,Y)=0
Shouldn't it just end the loop?
Thanks in advance Very Happy
1) All of the finance variables (and recursive n) are faster than the A-Z and theta variables, because they're found at fixed locations in RAM.
2) The size limit on strings is the size of your free RAM. However, sub() can't handle more than 9999 characters.
3) What kind of numbers are we talking about? Integers? Floats? Are their values well-bounded?
4) Are you sure that X and Y have correct values? Remember that using the graphscreen messes up Y.
KermMartian wrote:
1) All of the finance variables (and recursive n) are faster than the A-Z and theta variables, because they're found at fixed locations in RAM.

Awesome, I'll try to find a balance between the two, using finance vars in loops and stuff, and normal vars for other things Wink
KermMartian wrote:
2) The size limit on strings is the size of your free RAM. However, sub() can't handle more than 9999 characters.

I surely won't be going over 9999, but I'm more interested in how slow it would be to search through a very large string (rough estimation of about 4000 chars)
KermMartian wrote:
3) What kind of numbers are we talking about? Integers? Floats? Are their values well-bounded?

They are Floats, not intergers, their values aren't changing. Ever.
KermMartian wrote:
4) Are you sure that X and Y have correct values? Remember that using the graphscreen messes up Y.

Nah, it can sometimes get out of the dim of the matrix, which I guess kind of answers my question... I am not using the graphscreen, but the code does cause some errors when one of the values isn't in the dim of the matrix anymore, which isn't very suprising now that I think of it, I just thought it would end the loop when I created the code, clearly it doesn't Razz
Try changing (X,Y) to (A,B) or something real quick, just in case the Y is getting messed up for any odd reason. Since you're getting a dim error, this is probably what's happening. If that doesn't work, I don't know what the problem is :/

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours