Since OS 5.1 is now publicly released, I've started an unofficial changelog (since the official ones doesn't details what they fixed...) here: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17147

Among the first post's list, here's what's fixed.
- [ANNOYING] Although the Menu( command accepts 9 options + 1 title (instead of the old 7 options + 1 title), the last two options appear as ??, and choosing those options causes an ERR:LABEL. (2/23/2013)
- [ANNOYING] [ALPHA]-scrolling the BASIC editor scrolls by 7 lines, not 9. (2/26/2013)
- [ANNOYING] Three characters are incorrectly drawn in small font: [, λ, and μ. Screenshot and details are in this topic. (12/13/2014)

Other fixes include:
- The exact math engine now correctly displays the values when using Output(
- TI-Basic parser-related crash with a specific command sequences
adriweb wrote:
- [ANNOYING] Although the Menu( command accepts 9 options + 1 title (instead of the old 7 options + 1 title), the last two options appear as ??, and choosing those options causes an ERR:LABEL. (2/23/2013)
- [ANNOYING] [ALPHA]-scrolling the BASIC editor scrolls by 7 lines, not 9. (2/26/2013)

Oh, well that's annoying. I just tested these on my CE and I get the same exact results... :/ Why in the world are the 8th and 9th option messed up?

EDIT: err, I completely forgot you can upload new OS's to the calc for half a second there... brain fart Razz
I have some very interesting news to report Smile

So, back around early May, I sent in a report to fix the two calls for sign extension of DE and HL, which were broken, because they looked like this:

Code:
SignExtendDE_broken:
 push af
  xor a
  ld (0D02AD7h), de
  bit 7, b                ; This should be d, not b
  jr z, +_
  dec a
_:
  ld (0D02AD9h), a
  ld de, (0D02AD7h)
 pop af
 ret

Code:
SignExtendHL_broken:
 push af
  xor a
  ld (0D02AD7h), hl
  bit 7, b                ; This should be h, not b
  jr z, +_
  dec a
_:
  ld (0D02AD9h), a
  ld de, (0D02AD7h)
 pop af
 ret

I'm happy to report that while I haven't looked much past the other OS's exept for 5.0.0.0089 and 5.1.0.0110, the newest OS fixes both of these issues. I'll be sure to update the Wiki on this. Great work; TI! Smile
Wow, TI actually fixed a bug for once!

Were the formerly broken routines used anywhere important?
I am trying to download OS 5.1, but it is not working in either Chrome or Firefox. How did everyone else get it?
They've indeed just taken it down, for some reason (it gives a 403 error, in fact)...

The 83 Premium CE OS is still downloadable though...
lirtosiast wrote:
Were the formerly broken routines used anywhere important?

Those routines were not; but they were a part of the OS jump table. So it might be in the best interest to have them working. Smile
According to TI-France's teachers newsletter, 5.1 also fixes issues with the screen not turning on [properly / at all?].
adriweb wrote:
According to TI-France's teachers newsletter, 5.1 also fixes issues with the screen not turning on [properly / at all?].
Ah, the deep sleep bug. That was actually fixed in 5.0.1, but I guess they're simplifying that for teachers who might have bought the calculator with 5.0.0.
I was able to download OS 5.1, but I haven't really noticed a difference in anything significant (except for the menus). But what is so important about them adding a 0 before decimals that are >-1 and <1?
KermMartian wrote:
adriweb wrote:
Ah, the deep sleep bug. That was actually fixed in 5.0.1, but I guess they're simplifying that for teachers who might have bought the calculator with 5.0.0.

It may be, I was wondering about that too.
what got fixed in 5.0.1?
In 5.0.1, they fixed an issue with the deep sleep mode where it wouldn't turn back on in some cases.
By the way, I tested most of the items on our bug list in the first post, marked the fixed bugs as such, and posted a news article about the new OS and its fixes:

TI Listens to Bug Reports, Releases TI-84 Plus CE OS 5.1
<ANNOYING>I have a bug to report: on the Ti 84 pcs, the home screen gets cleared each time you delete a line of the history. This makes clearing your history and scrolling through it longer and more glitch than it should be.
There appears to be a fault when executing Assembly programs with the Asm() command when said program doesn't exist. Rather than throwing an "Error: Undefined" error, it throws an "Error: Invalid" error. This is because in the _ExecutePrgm system call, it begins by making a call to _ChkFindSym, but if the carry flag is set after _ChkFindSym (meaning it doesn't exist), it simply returns to _ExecutePrgm. After the "supposed" size bytes of the "program", it checks to see if the leading value is 0EFh, or an ExtendedToken. Since most of the time it isn't 0EFh, it will throw an "Error: Invalid". However, if that single byte is 0EFh, then it will cause the calculator to attempt to execute a non-existent assembly program, which generally leads to bad things when you execute random data.

This one's an odd one. Smile
That is indeed an odd one. Do you think it will be easy for TI to fix?
pimathbrainiac wrote:
That is indeed an odd one. Do you think it will be easy for TI to fix?

Super easy. It's really not ever possible that it will happen, but the error doesn't make sense for what is happening.
If you are in Radian mode and you enter something like this:

Code:
cos(8°15')

You will get a negative, nonsensical answer of -.3857479375. It should be close to 1 instead.

Doing this in degree mode works though.

OS 5.1.0.0110
This isn't a bug. Since you're in radian mode, it's treating 8°15' as radians. cos(8.25) = -.3857479375.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 11
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours