So, while I search for a broken Ti 84 PCSE and also for a UV transparent monitor, I have been working on a new project I call the Solar Slidecase. Basically what it is going to be is a Ti 84 PCSE slidecase with a nice big solar panel inside it. Not on it, I will cut a hole for it with a Dremel. but that will charge the calc! I have made it so that it only connects the terminals when the slidecase is on the front so it would only ever connect the correct way. I made the connections out of conductive tape but that will probably change to be something less crude. Here are some pictures:

The red is where I'm cutting to fit the panel, and the red circle is for a small led but I might not include that. What do you guys think? Smile
Sounds like a cool project! Will you be using the charging terminals rather than wrapping additional foil around it, or is that impossible? I like the idea of a charging case that would work on any TI-84+CSE
Wow, this is really great! I second Kerm's suggestion to use the charging contacts built into the calc.
I don't see your pictures here - maybe they were moved something wrong on my side.

I am trying to convert one of my Prizms into a rechargeable (via usb) version as step one but haven't yet figured out how and what to connect to make it work properly, i.e. what battery and charging management module to use and where to connect them exactly.

As the next step I was planning making the back of Prizm slimmer somehow (in 3D hopefully so that extra mods like sound, ir, etc could be incorporated in the future) but now I'm thinking turning the snap on front cover into a solar charger would be a nice feature too. How much will the extra weight be please?

Also isn't there a 3d model of your calculator's slide cover already which could be changed to have the required slot for solar panel before printing - in case more people will want the same?
I am using the charging terminals on the bottom. The solar panel is supposed to arrive any time in september. I'll post again when the solar panel is here and also for any questions you may have! Very Happy

EDIT:: I am using the aluminum tape so that I can get the contacts to connect if and only if the slidecase is on the front of the calc. That way there is no way to connect the + to the - terminals and possibly damage your calc.
Ooh, nice project! Smile I do like how the CSE and CE can both be connected to external power without having to do anything special. Also, a 3D model of the case with the solar panel insert would be pretty neat. Good luck; and keep up the nice work!
MateoConLechuga wrote:
a 3D model of the case with the solar panel insert would be pretty neat. Good luck; and keep up the nice work!

I agree. I think Kerm did toss back his final calc case model to me.... I'd have to find it. I will get a screenshot of that up here soon. Tomorrow? probably before Wednesday. I don't have a 3D model of the solar panel I bought though. I will have to make one and I'll probably throw the whole thing into Blender just for fun Razz
This is such a cool project! How do you know which side of the CSE's contacts is positive? Does it matter which side the positive wire goes to? (I may be thinking about this all wrong, so please help me Razz)

This, my introduction to arduino, and some other things has gotten me thinking about creating some sort of add-on for my calc.
So, I got the solar panel. And I made a mistake while ordering it....... I made it's maximum output what the calc needs to charge. So basically it has to be in direct sunlight in order to charge. I don't want to go dremeling into my case just yet. What do you guys think? I don't think there is any way to fit any kind of transformer in there... I might just need to get a different panel. Sad

And sorry I haven't gotten the model out there with school happening and all, but I think Kerm is hesitant to let out our slidecase model to the internet.

EDIT:: I found this on Digikey (and it's by TI Razz)

It's a DC DC voltage regulator that takes anywhere from 0.3V - 5.5V and turns it into 5V DC @ 1.2 Amps. PERFECT for charging calcs....... Coincidence that it's by TI? I don't know. but I think we'll try this out unless comments flood in saying we shouldn't. And it's only 3 dollars. I'll probably buy a couple in case one breaks.
Botboy3000 wrote:
So, I got the solar panel. And I made a mistake while ordering it....... I made it's maximum output what the calc needs to charge. So basically it has to be in direct sunlight in order to charge. I don't want to go dremeling into my case just yet. What do you guys think? I don't think there is any way to fit any kind of transformer in there... I might just need to get a different panel. Sad
The charging IC inside the calculator can handle a lower charging current at the required voltage. Use a buck-boost converter (TI makes tons of them) to regulate the solar panel's output to the required voltage.

Quote:
And sorry I haven't gotten the model out there with school happening and all, but I think Kerm is hesitant to let out our slidecase model to the internet.
Yes, I have asked people with whom I have shared the case model I modified from Botboy's original to not share my modifications with the public. Botboy can of course do whatever he wants with his original. Smile

Quote:
EDIT:: I found this on Digikey (and it's by TI Razz)

It's a DC DC voltage regulator that takes anywhere from 0.3V - 5.5V and turns it into 5V DC @ 1.2 Amps. PERFECT for charging calcs....... Coincidence that it's by TI? I don't know. but I think we'll try this out unless comments flood in saying we shouldn't. And it's only 3 dollars. I'll probably buy a couple in case one breaks.
5V @ up to 1.2 Amps, you mean. Smile That's exactly the same idea.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours