Have you ever been staring out your classroom window, wanting to go on an epic adventure on the 7 Seas? No? Yeah, me neither. I had no better ideas, so you should take what you can get.

Anyways, I'm starting a new whale of a project. Yeah, I'll go now.
Aqu-Wars is for the TI-84+CSE ONLY. It is an action adventure game with a hint of RPG in it, if that suits your fancy.

You could sail the high seas, take up either Navy, mercenary, or pirate jobs, pirate and take other ships' cargo, and upgrade your own ship in this swashbucklin' adventure!

Screenshots, activate!
v0.1a, not distributed:

Sneak peek:
This looks great; I'm impressed at your use of the hybrid BASIC libraries. As I've said in other such CSE topics of late, I certainly hope that there will be a Doors CSE on the TI-84 Plus CE to make such a project possible on the new calculator as well. If I may interject a random suggestion that occurred to me while watching the screenshot, I think white text on the blue background might be much easier to read (perhaps you could use that dark blue for any disabled options?). Can you tell us more about the story and goal of the game?
KermMartian wrote:
This looks great; I'm impressed at your use of the hybrid BASIC libraries. As I've said in other such CSE topics of late, I certainly hope that there will be a Doors CSE on the TI-84 Plus CE to make such a project possible on the new calculator as well. If I may interject a random suggestion that occurred to me while watching the screenshot, I think white text on the blue background might be much easier to read (perhaps you could use that dark blue for any disabled options?). Can you tell us more about the story and goal of the game?

Now that you bring it up, I do agree that white would be a much better option. The dark blue will be used for disabled options now, once I implement said options.

I might make it where you can take 3 alternate career paths from the Cantina menu in each port: Navy, mercenary and pirate. The Navy path would be where the player would take out pirates that show up around ports.
The mercenary path would be where the player would take out either pirates or Navy members depending on the requests of whoever is hiring you.
Finally, the pirate path would be where the player would basically attack anyone they see on sight, or talk around and learn where ships holding precious cargo are coming from.

At a certain point, the game would cut you off from taking all other missions other than the career you chose to follow most frequently. Different trading ports would have different missions available. Whether that means that one port would have Navy, mercenary, etc. or all ports have all 3 careers, but different missions spread across those ports, I'm not sure.
So it sounds like you're suggesting something which frequent viewing of Zero Punctuation videos tells me is called a "moral choice" system: as you make "moral" choices in the game, more opportunities similar to that one become available, and opportunities unlike your most common choice become unavailable. Is that accurate? It sounds like you have some good ideas here, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they're realized.

About the text, another option would be to print each string twice, once blue, then again in white, but offset 1 pixel up and one pixel to the left, to give each letter a shadow effect. That might be distracting in menus, but it could be a fun effect for titles.
KermMartian wrote:
So it sounds like you're suggesting something which frequent viewing of Zero Punctuation videos tells me is called a "moral choice" system: as you make "moral" choices in the game, more opportunities similar to that one become available, and opportunities unlike your most common choice become unavailable. Is that accurate? It sounds like you have some good ideas here, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they're realized.

About the text, another option would be to print each string twice, once blue, then again in white, but offset 1 pixel up and one pixel to the left, to give each letter a shadow effect. That might be distracting in menus, but it could be a fun effect for titles.

I like that idea too! I'll be sure to write these down and implement them. As you can see from the screenie, though, I don't actually have a main menu yet :X

Edit: Yeah, the moral choice stuff. I think it's fitting for this game, as there are very terrible individuals and very heroic individuals out on the water, especially back in the age of pirates Smile
Very awesome looking! And game where you get to choose your carrier path real attracts me Wink

Also, will there be battles between pirates and people?
Unicorn wrote:
Very awesome looking! And game where you get to choose your carrier path real attracts me Wink

Also, will there be battles between pirates and people?

Thanks so much! And the battle between pirates and people stuff? Not like any scripted overworld events, but you can pick a side and fight battles for that cause.
So you get random battles every so often, just like an RPG? Maybe you should add support for people to make external story-lines and things.
Unicorn wrote:
So you get random battles every so often, just like an RPG? Maybe you should add support for people to make external story-lines and things.

My plan is to have ships spawn on the overworld randomly. I haven't decided on their movement pattern, but they might move towards the nearest port, and attempt to enter one of the screens containing a port town. If they do, then another ship will respawn out at one of the screens farthest from a port. That ship won't move until you enter their screen.
I added a new screenshot to the OP! Battles have not been fully implemented yet, but that's next on my todo list.
But, here's what I did in case you care:
*Added main menu, and the ability to save
*Added names to all port towns (there are two you might recognize Wink )
*Added submenus for the port towns (so far, you can only fully use the shop menu)
*Changed menu text color
*Added the ability to upgrade your ship and buy repair kits to repair ship damage
*Added features such as rock formations and islands to the overworld
*Other miscellaneous tweaks
Heh, Solius, that does indeed seem quite familiar. Congratulations on making such rapid progress on this project so far, and keep up the good work. Was that an island in the middle of the ocean in the first screenshot? Will it eventually have an option to stop there and perform actions, or are the islands and rock formations just scenery?
KermMartian wrote:
Heh, Solius, that does indeed seem quite familiar. Congratulations on making such rapid progress on this project so far, and keep up the good work. Was that an island in the middle of the ocean in the first screenshot? Will it eventually have an option to stop there and perform actions, or are the islands and rock formations just scenery?

That's an interesting idea! I was actually planning to have missions take place in a certain screen, and the scenery would be to tell you where the mission is. Like, for example, the mission text would tell you "Find the navy battleship near Tiny Island (the island shown in the screenshot).
I AM still working on this, but I downloaded Project M a few weeks ago and can't find anything else to do. Between that and school and I have no time until I designate some to continue this game.
Maybe you could have a few ally ships to help fight the pirates.
Also, a few ideas on ship upgrades:
Health
Speed
Attack damage
Rate of fire

How big do you want the whole world to be? Maybe you could add a random terrain generator.
Looking very cool. When you refrence overworld, does that mean there will be another dimension? Razz
tmwilliamlin168 wrote:
Maybe you could have a few ally ships to help fight the pirates.
Also, a few ideas on ship upgrades:
Health
Speed
Attack damage
Rate of fire

How big do you want the whole world to be? Maybe you could add a random terrain generator.

So far, I only plan to have the world in a 3x3 grid, as a predetermined map. I do have some ideas on make the terrain content lasting, however.

EDIT:
Also, you will purchase one item that's called UPGRADE, and then your ship acquires more cannons. This covers RoF, as the system I'm going to use will have you firing a cannon then waiting a set amount of time for it to reload. More cannons = more to fire while waiting for reloading. I might add a direct increase to cannonball damage instead of just a RoF increase, as well. Health will be increased, currently, in that you take reduced damage, and not that your health number gets larger.
I won't be increasing speed, whether that be overworld speed or speed in battles (battle speed wouldn't be possible with the current attacking system anyway).

Unicorn wrote:
Looking very cool. When you refrence overworld, does that mean there will be another dimension? Razz

I actually had an idea like this! I might add it in.
I've been playing AC:Black Flag of late (again after someone deleted my save games a year or so ago) and the sailing is quite fun - I think an ocean adventure game is a great idea!

Will you be able to trade goods and battle other ships? Also what happens when you lower anchor at sea?
tr1p1ea wrote:
I've been playing AC:Black Flag of late (again after someone deleted my save games a year or so ago) and the sailing is quite fun - I think an ocean adventure game is a great idea!

Will you be able to trade goods and battle other ships? Also what happens when you lower anchor at sea?

You will be able to purchase equipment and upgrades for your ship, but I have no plans for direct trading of other goods. Battling is not yet implemented, but will be very much a part of the game. "Lower Anchor" is just a pirate-themed way of saying "Save and quit" Razz
How about different countries in the different dimensions?
tmwilliamlin168 wrote:
How about different countries in the different dimensions?

I have a few ideas, but I'll consider yours as well.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours