Almost there! All that is left is to speed up the screen depending on the score, perhaps change the font color to make it more readable in low brightness, add a splash and title screen, and try to somewhat fix the tearing problem with the blocks -- this is not too much of an issue, so I may not even worry too much about it because on a real calculator, it is even less noticeable. Now you can change the color of your blocks, which includes 40 different colors; therefore, around 1,086,008 different combinations of colored blocks are possible! High score and colors are automatically saved, and loaded on the next game. It has now been converted to an app, with the levels compiled in so that it is all self-contained. Passwords are now available for each level. And here is an updated screenshot of the current progress:

I decided to change the selector image in order to try and get a little bit of speed back, and (mainly) because with the way I am shifting the blocks, it kept getting overwritten. I prefer this style, as it looks more like a selector now. Smile
Looking pretty awesome!
Incredible. Very Happy Hmm clever idea with the bracket like selector. Tearing problem? :-/
APotato wrote:
Incredible. Very Happy Hmm clever idea with the bracket like selector. Tearing problem? :-/

Thanks! Yes, it is not really noticeable while actually playing the game, but if you look closely, you might notice that each block is slightly redrawn over itself, thus letting the previous block exist for a couple milliseconds. Not really too much of a big deal, but from a big picture perspective, it beats making things extremely complex. Smile
You continue to impress me with your progress on this, especially since as far as I know you're a relative newbie to assembly. Keep up the great work, and I can't say I disagree with any of the perfectly reasonable design decisions you've made thus far. Wink
This looks amazing! I will definitely download this once it's released Smile
KermMartian wrote:
You continue to impress me with your progress on this, especially since as far as I know you're a relative newbie to assembly. Keep up the great work, and I can't say I disagree with any of the perfectly reasonable design decisions you've made thus far. Wink

Well, I wouldn't say a "complete" newbie. Smile Considering This Program, there is a ton stuff in this one file.

Okay, time for an update! The game has been through the final coding stages, all that remains now is to test, debug, and optimize. Scheduled first release date is this Tuesday.
Hey, this is an update! And a cool one! Puzzle Frenzy has now been submitted to the archives, and is just awaiting approval! As this is a first release, and only a 2 week one at that, it may have some things that you would like changed, so just let me know here. It should be bug free; although I spent like 1/2 an hour trying to figure out why my direct input was not working correctly on the real calculator vs the emulator, when I discovered I had only 1 4 T-state NOP between my out and in at 15MGHZ... Oh well. If you do find a bug, please post it here as well. Thanks, and enjoy! (Soon!) Smile

Screenshot:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Well, I wouldn't say a "complete" newbie. Smile Considering This Program, there is a ton stuff in this one file.
Riiiight, I had forgotten about that game. In that case, I'm less completely blown away about this product from an ASM "newbie", although it's still extremely impressive for a programmer at any level. Wink

Quote:
Okay, time for an update! The game has been through the final coding stages, all that remains now is to test, debug, and optimize. Scheduled first release date is this Tuesday.
I can't wait to test it, once you re-submit to the archives. Does it require Doors CSE?
KermMartian wrote:
I can't wait to test it, once you re-submit to the archives. Does it require Doors CSE?

I did use Doors CSE to help me program it, and then used that ability to help me write routines based on them. I will definitely be creating an icon using the DCSE header!

Thanks once again to everyone for all of their support!
Here it is (Thanks once again Kerm!): Puzzle Frenzy
Whoo it came out! I am so excited. It is awesome Smile)))
Cool, when did I make this? Razz Any bugs or comments that anyone has, or anything that you would like to be changed or added here and there?
Bug: Brightness changes like it used to do in portal.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Cool, when did I make this? Razz Any bugs or comments that anyone has, or anything that you would like to be changed or added here and there?
Haha, sounds like the length of your memory is quite similar to mine. Smile I remain impressed at how quickly you put this together and released it, and I'm surprised that you only released this six months ago. No suggestions on my end!
Unicorn wrote:
Bug: Brightness changes like it used to do in portal.

Thanks! Fixed and updated. Smile

Oh, and I finally added in a DCSE icon for it. Razz
Well, I updated this game here to run on the CE version! Smile Enjoy; and it is a lot smoother and faster now. Smile

Download
Puzzle Frenzy CE

For those intereseted, this is running in 16bpp mode; with 4bpp clipped sprite routines running that emulate the CSE 4bpp routines. This made it really easy to port things, I guess. Razz
Awesome. I liked the CSE version but my complaint is that key detection was hit and miss, with some keystrokes being missed completely if you didn't hold the key long enough. Desolate for the 84+ had the same problem.
Bumpity Bump Bump. Any bug reports or any things that you may want changed or added to this? Been a bit since I worked on this code; so it's always an adventure. Smile
Update: Fixed a bug in the CE version where the high score was messed up. Smile Now to do something productive. Razz
Quote:
When you go to puzzle mode on puzzle frenzy and go to level 41 (password MMK), and on the top row when you move the 2nd blue circle up one and then the 2nd green square up, it takes the three green away and the bottom yellow away together. Hope you can fix this and let me know. Thanks!

I changed this particular level because it seemed a bit too easy any way. So, fixed and updated! Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours