Has anyone seen a "Little Professor" type program for the TI-84? you know, like a program that does arithmetic drills? I looked but I couldn't find one.
jeff wrote:
Has anyone seen a "Little Professor" type program for the TI-84? you know, like a program that does arithmetic drills? I looked but I couldn't find one.

I don't know of any program that does this, but creating such a program would be VERY simple, simply storing random integers to some vars and creating some basic arithmetic problems with those... You could get this done in a few minutes Smile
mr womp womp wrote:
jeff wrote:

I don't know of any program that does this, but creating such a program would be VERY simple, simply storing random integers to some vars and creating some basic arithmetic problems with those... You could get this done in a few minutes Smile

ya, if I ever learn to do that kind of programming. What would be the best way to do about doing a program like that? Would I program directly on the calculator or do the program on a computer and transfer it to the calculator? I just bought a new TI-84 Plus CE but it doesn't come with any instructions at all. Just a tiny little "getting started" pamphlet that doesn't really get you started with anything.
jeff wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:
jeff wrote:

ya, if I ever learn to do that kind of programming. What would be the best way to do about doing a program like that? Would I program directly on the calculator or do the program on a computer and transfer it to the calculator? I just bought a new TI-84 Plus CE but it doesn't come with any instructions at all. Just a tiny little "getting started" pamphlet that doesn't really get you started with anything.

TI-BASIC should fit very well for this kind of program, and it's also the easiest language to get started with out of the ones that the TI-84+ CE supports. It's usually programmed on the calculator (press the PRGM button and go to NEW or EDIT). There are also PC programs that let you write TI-BASIC, but I find them a bit more awkward to use because you need to type differently and because you need to transfer the program every time you want to run it on your calculator.
If you don't program any basic, I would recommend you TI-Basic Developer and YouTube tutorials on this. Personally I learned from YouTube until there was no new stuff to learn, this happened pretty fast as only a few commands are explained in only a few videos. Then I moved on, looked in the internet and found these calculator sites, including TIBD. When you have finished learning the commands and feel like there is nothing to learn from TI-Basic Developer anymore (Though it is a pretty complete guide), then you have reached the point where it is up to you to discover tricks and techniques while programming. Of course you should still use those sites as a reference, and thanks to the fora also request help from the community.
Good luck, and we hope to see you among our programmers! Smile
On the other hand, I'd recommend Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus as a curated, complete, friendly guide to learning TI-BASIC programming (of course, I'm biased, since I wrote it). You can either program it directly on your calculator, or you can use SourceCoder or TokenIDE to write programs on your computer. With SourceCoder, you can test the programs on an emulator in your browser; with TokenIDE, you can transfer them to an emulator manually, or transfer them to your physical calculator.
KermMartian wrote:
On the other hand, I'd recommend Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus as a curated, complete, friendly guide to learning TI-BASIC programming (of course, I'm biased, since I wrote it). You can either program it directly on your calculator, or you can use SourceCoder or TokenIDE to write programs on your computer. With SourceCoder, you can test the programs on an emulator in your browser; with TokenIDE, you can transfer them to an emulator manually, or transfer them to your physical calculator.

Looks good. I'll have to get that book.
Nik wrote:
If you don't program any basic, I would recommend you TI-Basic Developer and YouTube tutorials on this. Personally I learned from YouTube until there was no new stuff to learn, this happened pretty fast as only a few commands are explained in only a few videos. Then I moved on, looked in the internet and found these calculator sites, including TIBD. When you have finished learning the commands and feel like there is nothing to learn from TI-Basic Developer anymore (Though it is a pretty complete guide), then you have reached the point where it is up to you to discover tricks and techniques while programming. Of course you should still use those sites as a reference, and thanks to the fora also request help from the community.
Good luck, and we hope to see you among our programmers! Smile

Thanks! I'll have to check that out. I'm just trying to make sure I don't reinvent the wheel first. I'll be surprised if I don't find a "little professor" type math drill program already written for the TI-84.
I would just like to throw a plug here: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/461/46190.html Very Happy

Is this what you were talking about?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours