assemblybandit wrote:
Wow readroof2 you won? That's crazy if your backspacing worked. I got denim. Me thinks the planet question has someting to do with it, I chose earth, maybe the reds chose mars?

How many times did you enter the contest? You probably could have won by making a lot of entries instead of buying one.
readroof2 wrote:
I saw your video of the unboxing of the CE. The speed tests were amazing. Is it that much faster just because the processor got an upgrade?
Actually, the faster processor is not the main reason it appears so much faster. Although it has a nice up-to-48MHz ez80 CPU, wait states mean that when executing from flash, it effectively runs at more like 8MHz. The real speed boost is from the fact that it has a memory-mapped LCD, which makes writing to the LCD and updating its contents so, so much faster.
I'm just going to point out that if you have Windows XP, TI-Connect CE freezes on the splash image.
readroof2 wrote:
How many times did you enter the contest? You probably could have won by making a lot of entries instead of buying one.

I'm not sure that's still the case, but it was initially. I made a joke about doing that, and then KermM actually wrote a script to actually do it, and ran it for like 100 entires. And then, at T^3 this year, somebody from TI told him they did, in fact, notice.

KermMartian wrote:
Actually, the faster processor is not the main reason it appears so much faster. Although it has a nice up-to-48MHz ez80 CPU, wait states mean that when executing from flash, it effectively runs at more like 8MHz. The real speed boost is from the fact that it has a memory-mapped LCD, which makes writing to the LCD and updating its contents so, so much faster.

Actually, that's not really it, either. The real reason is that the Z80's IN and OUT instructions are SUPER slow---like 16 clock cycles per write. The eZ80's pipelining reduces it to 2 if there are no wait states. The wait states are a serious performance issue, though. With hand-written assembly, the eZ80 at 48 MHz can't even manage twice the MIPS as the Z80 at 15 MHz. Although, C will probably get at least twice the MIPS, due to C's use of the index registers, which were terribly slow on the Z80, but are actually quite nice on the eZ80.

I think what's going on is that the ASIC is using ARM logic blocks with an eZ80 CPU. The ARM normally has a cache, so the 3-state latency doesn't hammer performance the same way it does on the cache-less eZ80.

Luxen wrote:
I'm just going to point out that if you have Windows XP, TI-Connect CE freezes on the splash image.

Don't use Windows XP. It hasn't been supported by MS for over a year.
Was Kerm able to win? I entered over 100 times manually and won.
Here are the pictures of the TI-84+CE I won through the contest. I really like the lightning color on it. Of course, I guess they wanted me to do some free advertising for them, so they gave me a shirt and a pin.

I just searched TI 84+ CE cheap online, not excpecting anything, but look what I found! Shock

Site: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Texas-Instruments-TI-84-Plus-CE-Graphing-Calculator/9989573/product.html
That price is horrible! Who would try to sell a TI-84+CE at that price? Shouldn't it be like 130 dollars or something?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours