Haven't seen this posted here yet, so I thought I'd let you know:

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/06/android-ported-ti-nspire-cx-calculator.html

https://github.com/nDroidProject

Thanks for posting this up, utz. I was surprised that this was publicized so poorly around the community; apparently the original author didn't post it up on any of the community sites, save for one small, vague post in a tangentially-related Omnimaga topic. This is unfortunate timing, given that I'm trying to convince TI that it's in their best interest to release the App key for the TI-84+CE: I think a lot of technically-unsavvy readers might equate "Android on a calculator" to "now the calculator has the communication abilities of a phone". On a somewhat unrelated note, I was sufficiently pleasantly impressed that Brian of Hackaday got the following facts about which models can be natively programmed right:
Hackaday wrote:
Unlike just about every other TI calculator, homebrew developers are locked out of the nSpire CX and CX CAS. Without the ability to run native applications on this calculator, [Josh] would be locked out of his platform of choice without the work of the TI calculator community and Ndless, the SDK for this series of calculators.
(See their article)
nDroid was quickly featured on the front pages of CodeWalrus ( https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=556.0 ) and TI-Planet ( https://ti-pla.net/t16865&lang=en ). Due to nDroid being an important milestone for the Nspire, that was well deserved Smile
Omnimaga's dying, and Cemetech is not trying to be a Nspire place.

TI will not give us the 2048-bit FlashApp signing key for the 83PCE/84+CE, no matter what, though I'd love to be proved wrong about that. The TI-eZ80 series is far too weak to run Linux, even in ucLinux flavor, so I'm not convinced that the release of an extremely old version of Android on the Nspire could interfere in any way with TI's plans Wink
We're stuck with extremely old versions of Android because the Nspire CX (CAS), despite being one of the two most powerful calculator models on the marketplace, is too weak to run anything newer. That's yet another testimony of how even the most powerful calculators are outdated and overpriced by today's standards...

[EDIT: fix a couple typos.]
Yeah I was somewhat surprised as well that joshumax didn't really advertise this in the community, save for that post on omni. On the other hand, if you think about it, it's not so surprising - he's not really "in the scene". And if you just google for, say, "nspire forum", you won't end up here so quickly - and tiplanet, which is more visible, is French after all. I had the same problem back in the day when I started programming on TI-82. When I searched for communities, the only place I came across was tout82.

What does surprise me a bit more actually is the lack of response around here. I mean, yes, this isn't really a Nspire place, but still... Even though I don't care about the Nspire at all, I still think nDroid is an outstanding and noteworthy achievement. Well, it's summer break, I guess Wink

Regarding TI giving out the key, I don't really see it happening either. And nDroid will actually not be helpful in that respect, because it basically shows that TI is selling devices less capable than a cheap China knockoff smartphone or a RaspPi - at twice the price. But that's not really the point - ironically TI doesn't earn money for what their calcs can do, they earn for the things what their calcs don't do. They don't do networking. They don't do CAS (well, the non-CAS models at least), even though even the humble TI-82 would in theory be capable of it. And that's not just TI's fault (even though it should be noted that keeping things as closed as possible has been a core element of their business strategy dating back to at least the TI99/4a more than 30 years ago). It's also the fault of SAT certificiers and school administrations around the world who are still clinging on to the concept of using such limited devices in schools in a time when things should move on. I'm sure that in 10 years using smartphones and tablets in maths classes will be normal and commonplace, with the use of online resources having fundamentally changed the way mathematics (and other subjects) are taught. But of course it will take some time to overcome the resistance at the administrative level, and until then TI will continue to sell locked down devices. They seem to share that prognosis, otherwise they wouldn't have developed the CE with it's rather significant design changes.

tl;dr nDroid will rule the world!
utz wrote:
Yeah I was somewhat surprised as well that joshumax didn't really advertise this in the community, save for that post on omni. On the other hand, if you think about it, it's not so surprising - he's not really "in the scene". And if you just google for, say, "nspire forum", you won't end up here so quickly - and tiplanet, which is more visible, is French after all. I had the same problem back in the day when I started programming on TI-82. When I searched for communities, the only place I came across was tout82.

What does surprise me a bit more actually is the lack of response around here. I mean, yes, this isn't really a Nspire place, but still... Even though I don't care about the Nspire at all, I still think nDroid is an outstanding and noteworthy achievement. Well, it's summer break, I guess Wink

Regarding TI giving out the key, I don't really see it happening either. And nDroid will actually not be helpful in that respect, because it basically shows that TI is selling devices less capable than a cheap China knockoff smartphone or a RaspPi - at twice the price. But that's not really the point - ironically TI doesn't earn money for what their calcs can do, they earn for the things what their calcs don't do. They don't do networking. They don't do CAS (well, the non-CAS models at least), even though even the humble TI-82 would in theory be capable of it. And that's not just TI's fault (even though it should be noted that keeping things as closed as possible has been a core element of their business strategy dating back to at least the TI99/4a more than 30 years ago). It's also the fault of SAT certificiers and school administrations around the world who are still clinging on to the concept of using such limited devices in schools in a time when things should move on. I'm sure that in 10 years using smartphones and tablets in maths classes will be normal and commonplace, with the use of online resources having fundamentally changed the way mathematics (and other subjects) are taught. But of course it will take some time to overcome the resistance at the administrative level, and until then TI will continue to sell locked down devices. They seem to share that prognosis, otherwise they wouldn't have developed the CE with it's rather significant design changes.

tl;dr nDroid will rule the world!

This is becoming slightly unrelated to the topic, but I think the reason they keep their calculators so rudimentary is so that they don't do EVERYTHING for students, in a way, forcing them to learn... If for example I had my nspire cx cas when we were learning trig identities or simplifying rads, I probably would not have bothered to learn it since my calculator just does it automatically, kind of like square roots, they used to teach how to do them by hand, which is something they just don't teach anymore because calculators do it... (and because they probably deemed there were better things to be taught xD)

About that signing key, It kind of circles back to the same thing, if people can't make the CE into a less rudimentary machine then they will learn more in school, they could throw in some extra memory, ram and a better processor tho, cause the performance of graphing calculators in general is just kind of sad compared to other cheaper devices (RaspPi)

On a more related note, yes ndroid is very impressive, although not super useful (but then again, lots of things aren't) because if someone wants to run android on a device, graphing calculators are just not the way to go Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours