I just finished porting Piano83 by Badja to the TI-84+ CSE!

It was surprisingly easy, all I had to do was change the include file, add a delay for the keypad, and update the text to fit the new screen. The hardest part was adding the DCSE header+icon, which wasn't too bad once I understood what I was doing Smile

Download:
PianoCSE

Bug reports are welcome and encouraged!
Wait, so I can just plug in my headphones and it will work?

Awesome!
Unicorn wrote:
Wait, so I can just plug in my headphones and it will work?

Awesome!

Indeed!
I am planning to buy one of those adapters from Amazon, and then do I just plug it into some headphones or earphones to play the music? Where does the sound come from? Is the calculator producing it, or do the headphones take data and make it?
readroof2 wrote:
I am planning to buy one of those adapters from Amazon, and then do I just plug it into some headphones or earphones to play the music? Where does the sound come from? Is the calculator producing it, or do the headphones take data and make it?

Headphones are "dumb" devices, they don't contain any circuits, they're just small speakers connected to a wire. The calculator is producing the audio through the linkport.
I need to buy one of those adapter now, I'm using an old piece of headphones for a phone Razz
This is cool Wink not too long ago I found some old earphones with a 2.5mm jack, so I don't have to use an adapter, used them for noteman, now it will have a 2nd use, and maybe even a 3rd with the eventual release of Mt3 CSE Very Happy
What makes it possible for the calculator to produce the audio? Did Texas Instruments include some kind of speaker in the calculator? I am still having trouble with how it works, but once I try it and see that it works, I will want to be able to do it for a program I have been making.
readroof2 wrote:
What makes it possible for the calculator to produce the audio? Did Texas Instruments include some kind of speaker in the calculator? I am still having trouble with how it works, but once I try it and see that it works, I will want to be able to do it for a program I have been making.

It produces audio through the linkport by toggling the pins very quickly.
readroof2 wrote:

notice there is a small 2.5mm audio jack at the top of the 84s, same as on any normal smartphone, computer, mp3 player, well just about everything electronic lol you plug earphones or speakers in, the calculator takes care of the rest...
mr womp womp wrote:
readroof2 wrote:

notice there is a small 2.5mm audio jack at the top of the 84s, same as on any normal smartphone, computer, mp3 player, well just about everything electronic 0x5 you plug earphones or speakers in, the calculator takes care of the rest...
That's not quite accurate. Computers, smartphones, and MP3 players have a 3.5mm port that is connected to a variety of audio hardware; we can simplify that hardware as a pair of digital-to-analog converters (DACs). DACs are responsible for taking a number (say, 0-255) and converting it into a voltage (say, 0-5 volts). By varying the number going to each DAC very quickly, a computer, MP3 player, or smartphone can produce two waveforms, electrical waveforms that make the membranes in speakers or headphones oscillate and produce that same waveform in the air. That waveform hits your eardrum, and voila, sound. The calculators have a digital rather than analog port: the 2.5mm link port is intended to send data, so instead of a range of voltages, it can produce only two, 0v and 5v. In order to create sound, we must oscillate between 0v and 5v very quickly, creating what is known as a square wave. The rest of the process is still the same: electrical waveform moves headphone/speaker membrane, creates pressure wave in the air, impacts your eardrum, sound. The difference is that because we can only create square waves, rather than arbitrary wave shapes, we're much more limited in the sorts of sounds that we can create.
That makes a lot of sense. Do the calculators have a 2.5mm or 3.5mm link port, so I know before I buy the adapter?
Calculators have a 2.5mm port, and most headphones/earbuds have 3.5mm, so you want a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adaptor.
Oh. I was about to get 3.5mm to 2.5mm. Does this one work?

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Adapter-3-5mm-2-5mm-Converter/dp/B000LMBJMA?
readroof2 wrote:
Oh. I was about to get 3.5mm to 2.5mm. Does this one work?

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Adapter-3-5mm-2-5mm-Converter/dp/B000LMBJMA?

That should work fine
KermMartian wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:
readroof2 wrote:

notice there is a small 2.5mm audio jack at the top of the 84s, same as on any normal smartphone, computer, mp3 player, well just about everything electronic 0x5 you plug earphones or speakers in, the calculator takes care of the rest...
That's not quite accurate. Computers, smartphones, and MP3 players have a 3.5mm port that is connected to a variety of audio hardware; we can simplify that hardware as a pair of digital-to-analog converters (DACs). DACs are responsible for taking a number (say, 0-255) and converting it into a voltage (say, 0-5 volts). By varying the number going to each DAC very quickly, a computer, MP3 player, or smartphone can produce two waveforms, electrical waveforms that make the membranes in speakers or headphones oscillate and produce that same waveform in the air. That waveform hits your eardrum, and voila, sound. The calculators have a digital rather than analog port: the 2.5mm link port is intended to send data, so instead of a range of voltages, it can produce only two, 0v and 5v. In order to create sound, we must oscillate between 0v and 5v very quickly, creating what is known as a square wave. The rest of the process is still the same: electrical waveform moves headphone/speaker membrane, creates pressure wave in the air, impacts your eardrum, sound. The difference is that because we can only create square waves, rather than arbitrary wave shapes, we're much more limited in the sorts of sounds that we can create.

Oh, didn't know that, but trusound... :O doesn't seem like square wave at all... unless the creator somehow got it to alternate fast enuff so that it isn't noticeable... but looking at the music produced by trusound, doesn't seem very limited at all, if it weren't for the space issues... can someone please explain how this is done?
Has anyone tried the program yet? Did it work?
readroof2 wrote:
Has anyone tried the program yet? Did it work?

Well, I tried it Razz
Well, you are the one who made the program and uploaded it to the archives. It kind of makes sense that you would know that it works. Or ported it. You know what I mean. Anyone else?
readroof2 wrote:
Well, you are the one who made the program and uploaded it to the archives. It kind of makes sense that you would know that it works. Or ported it. You know what I mean. Anyone else?

I did, it worked as it should Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours