Yes, it's a good price, yes "CE-T" means the European model, and no there was no choice of colour offered. Mine is kind of a light grey case, but black on the face of the calc itself.
The -T is a European edition that has the testing LED (hence -T). I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't specify the color, considering that it is the teacher bundle meant to introduce the teachers to the calculator.
Is there a school-property version of the TI-84 Plus CE? With the TI-Nspire series, there were yellow models for schools so that they could be seen easier when stolen.
DJ_O wrote:
Is there a school-property version of the TI-84 Plus CE? With the TI-Nspire series, there were yellow models for schools so that they could be seen easier when stolen.

Yep, as shown on TI's 84+CE page :

Bigger image : https://www.schoolsavers.com/images/TI-84-Plus-CE-EZ1.jpg
I note that the description of the calculator refers to a new version of TI-Connect; ie TI-Connect V5.

Will the caculator communicate using TI-Connect V4?

I ask, as I note from the Texas website that TI-Connect V5 is not suitable for Windows XP. Buying a new calculator is one thing; but having to upgrade the computer OS is something I'd rather avoid.

Regards, Chris
ChrisInPenwith wrote:
I note that the description of the calculator refers to a new version of TI-Connect; ie TI-Connect V5.

Will the caculator communicate using TI-Connect V4?
TI Connect 4 will detect the TI-84 Plus CE as a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition. Sending things like programs, numbers, lists, and matrices works. Sending pictures, images, and Apps does not work, and you cannot use TI Connect 4 to take a screenshot of a TI-84 Plus CE.

Quote:
I ask, as I note from the Texas website that TI-Connect V5 is not suitable for Windows XP. Buying a new calculator is one thing; but having to upgrade the computer OS is something I'd rather avoid
Considering that Windows XP is a 14-year-old OS at this point, I suspect you'll eventually have to upgrade for some modern software that won't run on Windows XP, but I certainly know plenty of users here still using XP.
Fairly encouraging news, KermMartian, and I take your point about how old XP now is (I was always a reluctant upgrader of anything).

I guess I could live with post of the issues you mention. However, I note you say that sending Apps does not work, I guess you mean sending Apps from the calculator to the PC (or am I misreading you?).

But what about the converse; ie downloading Apps from the PC to the calculator?

Regards, Chris
ChrisInPenwith wrote:
I guess I could live with post of the issues you mention. However, I note you say that sending Apps does not work, I guess you mean sending Apps from the calculator to the PC (or am I misreading you?).

But what about the converse; ie downloading Apps from the PC to the calculator?
You can't send Apps (that is, .8ek files) in either direction, PC->calculator or calculator->PC. The App format for the TI-84 Plus CE is entirely different from the App format for the remainder of the TI-84 Plus family, so TI Connect 4 doesn't know how to handle it.
while I'm here may I ask you guys an advice please: I was very keen to order TI-84 plus CE as soon as the tutorial for compiling C programs was posted here and before I checked the specs for it but now I have second thoughts.

I was hoping the screen resolution would be higher - is 320 by 240 the entire screen area including the frame? Casio FXCG seems to have higher pixel count due to being wider but it also has a few pixels extra if one were to utilise the frame too so I feel it is a bit of a downgrade for me but let me know how the two screens compare if you have access to both please.

Similar issue with storage memory - 3mb vs 16 on Prism... I believe TI supports more image formats etc vs what Casio can currently open even with the add-ins but I doubt any format conversion will be able to achieve the saving in storage required and I sometimes have almost entire memory on Casio full with jpegs and pngs so would really want to know if TI's memory is somehow expandable.

Finally regarding C - is there a list of available system calls for TI just to compare how versatile it is vs Casio's please.

Many thanks in advance for your comments
* even if it weren't shackled by the RAM and Flash access waitstates, the TI-eZ80 family's CPU sure is far from being as fast as the Prizm's;
* the TI-eZ80 family has much less available storage memory than the Prizm;
* the TI-eZ80 family has an USB OTG port (for calculator -> calculator transfers), so theoretically, it could be used for (slowly) interacting with USB MSDs; I'm not sure whether the Prizm has an OTG controller;
* IIRC, the Prizm clamps to 64 KB the amount of RAM available to addins, whereas the TI-eZ80 family, like the TI-68k family, lets programmers use more than that, in multiple blocks.

Last but not least... the TI-eZ80 platform is a marked improvement over the 84+CSE. The TI-eZ80 family is quite open (at least for now), and it will prove far, far more popular among users and developers than the Prizm.
Hello Everyone,

First of all I'd like to express my thanks for this useful site!

Starting an IB program this september my son will need a graphing calculator here in Hungary. However it isn't easy nut expensive to find these kind of equipments. The teachers at school are familiar with the TI-84 series so inspite the TI-Nspire seemed to me a better choice I decided to buy a TI-84.
My first question: if the teachers recommended the TI-84 Plus or TI-84 Plus C Silver because they know these ones will the TI-84 Plus CE be the same operating wise? I mean one can reach the functions in the same way on both calculators?

My second question: I found TI-84 Plus CE isn't cheaper than the TI-Nspire CX unfortunately. Where could I purchase the TI-84 Plus CE for the less, if you know?

Thanks for everyone!
Peter
Peter G wrote:
Hello Everyone,

First of all I'd like to express my thanks for this useful site!
I'm glad you have found the content and resources we offer helpful!

Quote:
My first question: if the teachers recommended the TI-84 Plus or TI-84 Plus C Silver because they know these ones will the TI-84 Plus CE be the same operating wise? I mean one can reach the functions in the same way on both calculators?
Yes, the TI-84 Plus CE has all of the same math functions as the TI-84 Plus and the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. The keystrokes to access the functions are almost all identical to the keystrokes on the older calculators, so any instructions the calculators give for the older calculators will work for the TI-84 Plus CE.

Quote:
My second question: I found TI-84 Plus CE isn't cheaper than the TI-Nspire CX unfortunately. Where could I purchase the TI-84 Plus CE for the less, if you know?
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can help you there. Online, there are various school distributors that sell the calculator for about USD130, and our office supply stores in the US sell the calculator for about the same.
Kerm beat me Smile
Indeed, the 84+CE is sold at outrageous price tags. The French 83PCE is both better and cheaper, but sadly, irrelevant in most countries.
Guys, it is fantastic, I got two replies in six minutes... Smile

Teachers said the TI-83 is enough and I'm only a parent...

I tried to find guidebook for the TI-Nspire CX to compare to the TI-84 but didn't succeed. I would buy the Nspire CX but afraid the methods/keystrokes are different. Are they? I wouldn't like my son have problems on math class when the teacher explains how to input things and it is not the same on his Nspire... Do you know anything about this? Thx.
Peter G wrote:
Guys, it is fantastic, I got two replies in six minutes... Smile

Teachers said the TI-83 is enough and I'm only a parent...

I tried to find guidebook for the TI-Nspire CX to compare to the TI-84 but didn't succeed. I would buy the Nspire CX but afraid the methods/keystrokes are different. Are they? I wouldn't like my son have problems on math class when the teacher explains how to input things and it is not the same on his Nspire... Do you know anything about this? Thx.

Unfortunately the ways to access functions on the Nspire are very different than the 84+. While the keystrokes are different, the Nspire can do everything that the 84+ can do, and even more. If your son is willing to experiment a bit I'm sure he could find all the functions he needs. I have an Nspire CX CAS and I love it, especially the CAS, which makes tedious math much easier/faster.
Peter G wrote:
Yes, the TI-Nspire operating system is completely different from the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus series, so math and science functions are also completely different between the two families of calculators. If I may toot my own horn for a moment, if you find the electronic manual included with the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus insufficient, I wrote Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus, meant to be a more approachable manual to math and science on the calculators.
There is also the problem that the 84+ series are normally allowed on tests, and the Nspire may not becase of its superior math abilities. The TI 84+ CE is not very different from the CE, operating system wise, if I understand correctly, so if your son doesn't mind a little slowness, the TI 84+ CSE would probably work out for him, as it is cheaper.
Unicorn wrote:
There is also the problem that the 84+ series are normally allowed on tests, and the Nspire may not becase of its superior math abilities. The TI 84+ CE is not very different from the CE, operating system wise, if I understand correctly, so if your son doesn't mind a little slowness, the TI 84+ CSE would probably work out for him, as it is cheaper.

The Nspire CX CAS is allowed on the PSAT and SAT, and the Nspire CX (no CAS) is allowed on the ACT too.
Thanks.
Unfortunately IB doesn't support CAS, so the most advanced Nspire CX CAS is not among competitors... What a pity I found a new one for $75...
My thinking is to buy a TI-84+CE now and if he needs a more advanced one at university we will buy the one that will be available then whether with CAS functions.
That sounds like a plan! Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours