I've started to make what will be the most complex RPG available for the TI 84 CSE. It will be similar to Final Fantasy 2. It will be an RPG that has 3-on-3 fighting, is highly customizable (upgrading stats and spells manually instead of levelling up), and has a wide variety of equipment (six types of weapons, shields, two types of armor, and extra stuff like rings and charms). It will be called Mana Quest (I came up with the name about three days before I found out about Mana Force, so don't judge me). The stat system will be in a way that at the end of each battle, every character gets some Stat Points (SP) and after recieved enough SP, they will be able to upgrade stats and even spells if they want to. As for the inventory and equipment, every character will have four equipment slots (right hand, left hand, armor, and extra) along with 16 spots in the player's inventory for extra equipment and items. There will also be a ton of monsters to slay (each will a skill set and weaknesses of their own) with tons of items to get when they fall to the ground. This game will be released by mid-June this year and I just wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions. What do you think of this?
Ill always support new A/RPGs for the TI-C/S/E, since they are very rewarding to play.

some questions:
Pure or hybrid?
How will you handle how many stat points are required for each skill?
Could you tell us a bit about the story?
I think it's a very ambitious project, there is a whole lot of different things to work on. I'd love to see how this progresses along the way, hopefully you update every once in a while Wink I'm always impressed when it comes to speed with games like these, somehow the people who make them, even in pure basic, manage to get a decent speed Razz hopefully this is another one of those surprises Razz
Keep in mind that when I released First Fantasy, I had almost 14 years of experience in calculator RPG making. Such project is very ambitious and if you have never coded large games on your own before, then it could be a burden. I wish you good luck if you take on this project.
DJ_O wrote:
Keep in mind that when I released First Fantasy, I had almost 14 years of experience in calculator RPG making. Such project is very ambitious and if you have never coded large games on your own before, then it could be a burden. I wish you good luck if you take on this project.

Well, I think any rpg would require great ambition and experience, let alone one for an RPG, but thats besides the point.

@mr womp womp:
RPGs actually arent the most intensive genre unless you go to the moon (or the land of 3D) for the TI. think about it; besides key processing and the initial render, maps arent hard to do - once you understand mapping. battle systems differ, but mostly they too are quite simple. take, for instance, pokemon. its largely waiting for you to press a key before it can take an action, and even those actions arent very intensive.

The hardest part of RPGs is [in my opinion] is handling the data - RPGs often take up lots of everything and anything.
I don't think your goal should be to make an rpg to be the most complicated possible, rather one that you feel like is fun to play. Rather, there are a lot of bad rpgs that are real complicated, have a whole bunch of elements to the gameplay, but (especially one on the calculator) is hard to use and takes too long to learn.
And, I guess, make one that you think you can finish (don't give up halfway). I don't know how much experience you have, but as DJ_O said, it's gonna be a big burden, so good luck!
[quote="Luxen"]Ill always support new A/RPGs for the TI-C/S/E, since they are very rewarding to play.

some questions:
Pure or hybrid?
How will you handle how many stat points are required for each skill?
Could you tell us a bit about the story?[/quote]

1. It will most likely be used with TI BASIC. If there's enough room, I'll make I'd hybrid with the colors.
2. The amount needed per skill will be a function in which the integer of the stat divided by 5 added to 1 will be the amount of SP needed.
3. Basically, three heroes (the player names them) have to fight to save the world from the evil Doomsday before he unleashes he finds and unleashes the power of Mana all over the world. Mana is basically magic in the game but too powerful for humans to use responsibly. So, the heroes were chosen by an old sage to save the world by slaying Doomsday. Days after the heroes were found by the sage, the village they lived in was burnt down. Saved by the sage, the heroes set out to slay Doomsday.

"The power of Mana was so strong that people died in massive numbers due to people foolishly abusing its powers. The people sealed it into the Void where none shall ever reach."
Calc_Knight wrote:
1. It will most likely be used with TI BASIC. If there's enough room, I'll make I'd hybrid with the colors.

Sounds good! Remember, though, hybrid basic isn't just used for color text (that's just one of the many functions in the hybrid libs). I'm assuming you've taken a look through the wiki page; I imagine Celtic in particular would be useful for an RPG (appvars and such), and although you've implied that this'll be a text-based RPG, I strongly suggest taking a look at xLIBC for graphics.
Good luck!
Luxen wrote:
DJ_O wrote:

Well, I think any rpg would require great ambition and experience, let alone one for an RPG, but thats besides the point.
It depends. If the game is simple enough then it doesn't require much experience. My first BASIC game release ever was an RPG. It just was mega-simple (Illusiat 1). I was saying that because many new programmers start a full Skyrim or Pokémon clone as their first ever calculator projects and they never get close to making a full dungeon. Hence why I was making sure that he would start with an RPG that is small enough for his programming skills and experience. Also I noticed that most people choke on the battle engine.
The game sounds like a very long project. It would be really fun and cool if you were able to make it use sprites so you see your guys instead of a bunch of letters, which is why I don't like RPG games on my calculator. Besides, it is way to easy to just edit a list to increase all of your health and attack power and experience and stuff. Also, if it was all in one program, that would be more attractive than having a bunch in the RAM for the main program to be able to access them, putting them in danger if the calculator is reset.
readroof2 wrote:
The game sounds like a very long project. It would be really fun and cool if you were able to make it use sprites so you see your guys instead of a bunch of letters, which is why I don't like RPG games on my calculator.
Games aren't only about graphics, ya know. But I agree that sprites would be nice.
But graphics make it more engaging. Would you rather play a video game with your character being a letter, or a warrior guy with a really cool looking weapon?
The latter, but if the latter game has twice less content or is completely unplayable then I would rather play the ASCII art one. Same goes with old school 2D graphics vs realistic ones (for example, I would rather play Sonic on the Sega Genesis than Sonic 2006)

I am not the type of person to single out a game solely based on graphics, file size or programming language. But I guess it's more common on Cemetech than other sites to see people who do otherwise.
readroof2 wrote:
The game sounds like a very long project. It would be really fun and cool if you were able to make it use sprites so you see your guys instead of a bunch of letters, which is why I don't like RPG games on my calculator. Besides, it is way to easy to just edit a list to increase all of your health and attack power and experience and stuff. Also, if it was all in one program, that would be more attractive than having a bunch in the RAM for the main program to be able to access them, putting them in danger if the calculator is reset.

I'm not 100% sure due to the fact that I have never tried it out myself, but I believe there is a function in the Celtic Lib to run archived programs? or is this only on Monochrome calcs? Anyways, it just creates a temporary program on the RAM and copies in the code from the program you want to run, then runs it, Thus running an archived program... (Which is not in danger in the event of an unexpected RAM clear, so this shouldn't be an issue... and the programs can be hidden from Shells *cough* Doors *cough* so they don't clog up the programs page either)
I know about this, but I prefer one program. Also, if it is multiple programs, the person usually didn't do this, so I have to edit the program and find every time it tries to run the archived program.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours