Someone on codewalrus started a contest where the rules are that your game has to use a 4x3 pixel screen (4x3 virtual pixels, not hardware pixels). I figured I could go somewhere interesting with that, and thus this game was born.

GAME
Web: http://z80.ukl.me/colorz/
TI-84+CSE: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1319

INSTRUCTIONS
http://z80.ukl.me/colorz/readme.html

WALKTHROUGH IF YOU GET STUCK

It's an exploration / puzzle game.
The goal of the game is to collect all the gold, at which point you win.

Right now it's written in TypeScript using an HTML5 canvas, but I'm designing it in such a way that I can hopefully port it to the CSE fairly easily.
I'm using the xLIBC color palette already, so colors will be a non-issue if I write it in BASIC. I've since decided that I'll write it in assembly. My reasoning is that the map (unoptimized as it is) is 8064 bytes uncompressed, but 1500 bytes with LZ4 compression. Writing in ASM means the program will be a lot more compact. Also, given the amount of game mechanics I ended up adding, I believe that writing in in BASIC would be far more complicated than I want anyhow. However, since I'm still using the xLIBC color palette, it means I can still use the tile IDs for the actual color data instead of using them as an index into a palette.

I called it ColorZ because I'm terrible at naming and have no idea what to call this thing.
- I assume that the various colors are hazards? What are they? Can you pick up any items besides gold? I guess I should find this out by actually playing it, given your final paragraph there. Is there a link to try it out?
- Is the map static, or randomly generated? If the latter, is there any guarantee that the map is winnable?
Contest rules state that I can't publish it publicly until the contest is done. That's in 5 days, so I'll throw a link up then.

The map is static. I might add more items, but I'm just sort of building on this idea as I go.

The colors can be hazards in certain situations, but none of the colors in the screenshot above are hazardous, just barriers.
Ahhh, I didn't realize it was a contest entry, since it's a computer program; thanks for clarifying. Keep up the good work; this seems like quite the fun concept.
Walk through of the game in it's current form. Game-finish screen isn't implemented yet, and the map isn't necessarily final either. Obviously since it's a puzzle game watching this will spoil some of the puzzles but if you're interested, watch the video.

I go quickly, so if you miss something you might have to re-watch part of it. Some of it is easier to understand when you're actually playing the game yourself though.
Updated with a link to the game and an up-to-date video.

EDIT:
OH, also, expect a CSE version in the next week or so. I should have time for it. If anyone has suggestions for additional types of puzzles I can add to it, let me know. I might expand the world a bit.
Did you release the CSE version yet?
CSE version completed & uploaded, link in original post.

Weird technical details for anyone interested:
- Written in assembly
- Entire program is compressed, except for some loading code that decompresses it at start
- Decompression is pretty much instant as it turns out.
- The map is 8064 bytes uncompressed, 1500 compressed.
- The code is 1759 bytes uncompressed, 1359 compressed.
- Memory bank management is awesome, true story.
- Keep your code well fed and hydrated.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours