KermMartian wrote:
Certainly; I'd be happy to try to put our collective intuition together and see if we could figure it out. I notice that the messages reference LogHAL, which to my knowledge is part of Windows' Hardware Abstraction Layer; I therefore suspect we might need some form of the Microsoft library package beyond what mono provides to run the server.

Perhaps, the post did mention you may need to download Visual Basic.

Quote:
You may also need to install the Visual Studio 2013 redistributables in order to play. You can download them from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Certainly; I'd be happy to try to put our collective intuition together and see if we could figure it out. I notice that the messages reference LogHAL, which to my knowledge is part of Windows' Hardware Abstraction Layer; I therefore suspect we might need some form of the Microsoft library package beyond what mono provides to run the server.

Perhaps, the post did mention you may need to download Visual Basic.

Quote:
You may also need to install the Visual Studio 2013 redistributables in order to play. You can download them from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
Yes, I saw that, but I don't know of a way to install the redistributables on non-Windows operating systems, and Microsoft's website did not help. The fact that they claim the Linux server is a native binary makes me think that Wine and mono are not required, hence my confusion.
If you haven't already, Unreal Engine 4 is now free for everyone. After downloading the "Launcher" you can also install the newest build of Unreal Tournament. Let's get playing!
I just tried out the alpha today. I have to say, it is some pretty good stuff. The graphics are fantastic, even with it being in prealpha, and it seems pretty stable too.

it could end up being what UT3 tried to be, but never was.

Only minor complaint I think was that I felt that the walking wasn't fast enough, so it felt a bit more slow paced as compared to 2004, but I could be imagining things as I haven't had time to play 2004 in some time.

also massive props to epic for making the engine free. Always good to have more tools in the belt
Going to grab this again, holy crap, 7.6GB for this? My SSD is just crying from the lack of disk space. Meh, I moved the majority of things on to an external 1TB drive. Will check out what's new.

I will have to see what's available in terms of double/quad jumping either in mods or in UT itself (don't remember if they said they would have this as a mutator or not). Would be nice to bring the old player movement into this one.

<edit> Seems like I can't run UT now, crashes my nvidia kernel drivers.
That is nothing. Starcraft II was 12 GB when the Zerg expansion came out.
The point was more-so that this is still pre-alpha. Lots of large resources are still missing, which means the size will still go up quite a bit afaik.
AHelper wrote:
The point was more-so that this is still pre-alpha. Lots of large resources are still missing, which means the size will still go up quite a bit afaik.

Yup. When it didn't work after a few attempts I uninstalled. I only have 256GBs on my computer. Can't wait to read about your guys' fun times ahead and see the screen shots!
In the latest update today they announced someone is working on a AM/TAM game mode called Unreal Arena. Sauce.

The full update can be found here.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours