Here's the MoHPC thread with the changelog and instructions: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1424.html

And here's what's been dropped (there's been some other changes that break compatibility, but they're not removing functionality):

Tim Wessman wrote:
Older Prime hardware (Revision A) does support this release, however the wireless, unit-to-unit, and data streamer functionality is not supported on earlier models. In the Help->About HP Prime screen the hardware revision will be displayed along with software version information.

I'll note this, too:

Tim Wessman wrote:
Everyone will have A.

According to the HP Prime Facebook page, back in April, this was mentioned:

Quote:
5. Wireless support for capable units turned on. Wireless icon will appear in the right top corner menu.
6. Calculator Unit-to-Unit communications has now been enabled on units that can support it.

However, I'm finding references to people having used the 39gII link cable to link two Primes together, but also that the firmware may be changed to not support that in a future release.

And, what about the Data Streamer app? Especially given that HP is selling the StreamSmart 410 as being compatible with the Prime, in some markets...

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/calculators/product-detail.html?oid=5097846

What's going on here, are they running out of flash or something?

Edit: Based on the size of armfir.elf, I'm doubting that:

Code:
[bhtooefr@uncannyvalley ~/appsdisk]$ ls -lR 
total 6 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr  2256 Apr  1 13:49 APPSLIST.INF 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr    76 Apr  1 13:49 APPSLIST.MAP 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr  1048 Apr  1 13:49 APPSLIST.MD5 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr     0 Apr  1 13:49 BESTABFS.IND 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr    46 Apr  1 13:49 FIRSTRUN.INI 
drwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr   512 Dec 29  1979 WINDOW 
drwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr   512 Dec 29  1979 programs 

./WINDOW: 
total 1 
drwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr  512 Dec 29  1979 SYSTEM 

./WINDOW/SYSTEM: 
total 587 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr  558592 Apr  1 13:49 COREDLL.DLL 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr    5632 Apr  1 13:49 KRNLLIB.DLL 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr    6144 Apr  1 13:49 MD5DLL.DLL 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr   30208 Apr  1 13:49 SDKLIB.DLL 

./programs: 
total 1 
drwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr  512 Dec 29  1979 misc 
drwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr  512 Dec 29  1979 tools 

./programs/misc: 
total 13536 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr     31744 Apr  1 13:49 armfir.dat 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr  13182128 Apr  1 13:49 armfir.elf 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr     31744 Apr  1 13:49 armhello.dat 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr    101088 Apr  1 13:49 armhello.elf
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr    250880 Apr  1 13:49 diagnose.dat
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr    262656 Apr  1 13:49 diagnose.exe

./programs/tools:
total 182
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr   31744 Apr  1 13:49 bestafir.dat
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr   22016 Apr  1 13:49 bestafir.exe
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr   31744 Apr  1 13:49 hello.dat
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bhtooefr  bhtooefr  100864 Apr  1 13:49 hello.exe
[/code]
I am afraid I've been meaning to address this topic since it was first posted. This is a rather baffling release, and I must say it's disappointing to hear that not only is wireless support not available for the current hardware, but that it won't be made to work with it. I can't help but wonder if the issue is software, hardware, or legal. I suspect it may not be simply a software issue, since Tim Wessman indicated there will be a new hardware revision. Did it turn out that it was too easy to use wireless without any outward sign? I don't think so, because I thought the wireless module was to be external and brightly-colored, like the TI-Nspire's. Perhaps they're actually going to make it internal? That would be rather cool.
Maybe this is to keep it ok with the ACT and SAT people?
flyingfisch wrote:
Maybe this is to keep it ok with the ACT and SAT people?
Maybe, but if it's an external module and they can update the firmware on the Primes themselves, why would they need a different hardware revision? I would think once you pull the module off the top it would all be a moot point.
If it becomes clear that HP previously advertised optional wireless capabilities in 2013 and one year later, announce that older hardware will finally not have it ever, then I sense that certain people will try to get HP to give them a revision B model in exchange of an A one for free or maybe even a class action, since it would have been kinda like false advertising from their part.
I noticed that Tim Wessman hasn't responded to your comments concerning this on omnimaga or Mohpc, which seems interesting and unsurprising at the same time.
He actually responded to my concerns about that but he only asked for proof that any HP site advertised this. It's hard to know because maybe they removed it since the calc release. We would have to use Archive.org to see if they really advertised wireless capabilities as option directly back then. But a lot of customers seems angry at this.

That said, Tim is only part of the OS programming team, so he has no control on how HP markets their products and have no say on the matter.
DJ_O wrote:
He actually responded to my concerns about that but he only asked for proof that any HP site advertised this. It's hard to know because maybe they removed it since the calc release. We would have to use Archive.org to see if they really advertised wireless capabilities as option directly back then. But a lot of customers seems angry at this.
GT Springer himself said that the wireless capabilities would be there when I interviewed him last May. He said:
GT Springer wrote:
We decided to extend the connectivity kit: we will provide a wireless module that clips into the microUSB port, with a corresponding accessory that connects to teacher's PC. We don't use 802.11 because we don't want the teacher to have to do a lot of setup. It's more like your wireless keyboard/mouse: you plug it in and it works. Teachers can use it to do formative assessment in class. You could collect results from a poll during an AP Stats class, then send cumulative results back to students' devices for analysis for homework.
*bump* I finally found the newest version of the Connectivity Kit on the HP FTP service (you can find the HP Prime Connectivity Kit and firmware download on it), but I'm afraid I can't get it to update my Rev. A HP Prime. The updater succeeds in switching my Prime into "recovery mode v13", but the computer software then hangs indefinitely with the message "Waiting for connection...". I tried manually resetting the Prime, manually running the Updater.exe program, and using SYMB+ON to put it in the recovery mode myself, all to no avail. I'm using Windows 7 x64; any tips?
It's been a few months... Are you still unable to update? I'm guessing you've worked out how to and have updated.

I updated within the first day of getting my HP Prime several months ago [without issue] other than that my Connectivity Kit, whenever it auto checks for an update [or I manually run the update check], keeps asking me to update to the latest version, yet it's already updated to the latest version (20141203 Rev:6975); as is my physical & virtual calculator.

Weird.

Note: I have a "Hardware Version: A" HP Prime as well
Labrat wrote:
It's been a few months... Are you still unable to update? I'm guessing you've worked out how to and have updated
I'm afraid I haven't tried to update my Prime's firmware since I posted that. I'll try to get to it soon, and let you know if it worked out this time.
FWIW, a new version of the CK, computer software and calculator firmware is in the process of being released, at the moment, as posted on TI-Planet and MoHPC. Though there seems to be a bug in the CK.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
FWIW, a new version of the CK, computer software and calculator firmware is in the process of being released, at the moment, as posted on TI-Planet and MoHPC. Though there seems to be a bug in the CK.
Translation: HP Prime OS version 2015.0427 has been released. Tim of HP posted more information here:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-3823.html

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours