Recent Doors CSE bug reports revealed that the method of catching program execution from the homescreen was overzealous. Specifically, any homescreen line with "prgmXXX" in it was collapsed to simply run prgmXXX, and not execute any of the other functions specified in that line. Looking back at my code, I borrowed very heavily from BrandonW's Noshell hook code, using his code to find the program name in the line with minimal modifications. I'm refining my approach to execute homescreen programs under two conditions:
  1. When prgmXXX appears as a command by itself, the ParserHook is triggered with a=0, parseVar=[5|6]"NAME". To avoid prematurely triggering my ParserHook when a whole line is parsed, I abort if the program name is "!" or "#".
  2. When the Asm( command appears in a line (apparently a Class 2 function, so a=2 and bc=$5D01), I run the specified program if the token immediately after Asm( is prgm. To find the program name, I copy characters until I reach [^A-Z0-9] or the end of the line.

Since very few community members have messed with Class 2 functions, the documentation on WikiTI is sparse. My questions:
  1. Why is Asm( equivalent to bc=$5D01 instead of $BB6A or something else logical? Is this in fact Asm(?
  2. WikiTI is vague on what "If you return NZ, the parser will continue execution from where you left off" means. I discovered that if you modify curPC, begPC, and endPC, you need to restore them. "Where you left off" is determined by curPC, so I put curPC right after the Asm() command.
  3. The OS does not push and pop hl around the ParserHook call, at least on TI-84+CSE OS 4.0, and it uses it right after the ParserHook call if the hook returns z (ie, continue normally). Therefore, ParserHooks that catch Class 2 functions must preserve hl if they're planning to return z. This does not apply to Class 0 invocations of the ParserHook, it seems.

My biggest concerns so far are (a) question 1 above, and (b) whether I'm missing some important detail about why catching only these two cases is not enough. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found that although my solution does work, it doesn't help with running Archived programs. The OS checks if a program is Archived before invoking the ParserHook for something like 1->A:prgmXXX, so I'm considering solutions where I replace all of the prgm tokens in a homescreen line with some other Class 1 command at the beginning of parsing. BrandonW asked why I don't just intercept prgm, and I believe the answer is that the ParserHook isn't invoked on the prgm token.
1. Why 5D01? Because 6A - 8 + BE - BC + CE - 7 - CE = 5D, of course. In other words, because the values assigned to tokens make no sense, so the code that parses them is a convoluted mess of ad-hoc additions and subtractions and conditional jumps. But yes, Asm( is in fact the 5D'th entry in command table number 1, whatever that means. They do seem to have kept backwards compatibility through all the 83+, 84+ and 84+CSE OSes - don't know about the CE yet.

2. For the "class 2" commands, the OS calls the parser hook first, then calls the default handler if the parser hook returns with zero flag set. The default handler is what actually parses the command's arguments. So yes, if you're handling the command yourself, you will want to advance curPC (I don't remember whether it should be left pointing to the enter/colon or perhaps to the byte before it.)

3. Yup. In general, the OS does not save and restore registers around calls to hooks, and I would say it's prudent to preserve all registers (usually with the exception of AF) if you're not intending to modify the OS's behavior. In the case of the parser hook you'll need to preserve at least HL and B in most cases.

When it encounters the prgm token, yes, the OS will parse the name and attempt to run that program immediately; the parser hook doesn't have any chance to intercede. You're not the first person to be annoyed by that. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours