Huh. What a strange little calc. I wish they'd kept the blue screens of the 82, though! Thanks for the info Smile
adriweb wrote:
- No more Asm()

Sad
Ivoah wrote:
adriweb wrote:
- No more Asm()

Sad

When I saw this I didn't read the title and I thought that this was a user created calc which implemented homerun into the os via a patch. It was really disappointing when I actually read the article.
Ivoah wrote:
adriweb wrote:
- No more Asm()

Sad

I'm actually curious as to why it even has a USB port at all. TI should just make a calculator with no USB, no I/O port, no flash, and no programming at all. Like a TI-81 without BASIC, except with upgraded software. Then, they should either sell sets of these to classrooms exclusively for exams, or sell it as the "TI-84 Lite" or something.

Even better, come out with a TI-97 or something, instead of calling everything the "TI-[existing calculator version here] XXX". It seems like they ran out of numbers and are trying to squeeze everything into existing ones. You know, with the TI-84 Plus, the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, the TI-84 Plus CE, the whatever-the-French-version-of-the-TI-84-Plus-CE-with-the-testing-LED-is, the TI-84 Plus Pocket.fr, and so on.
Quote:
It seems like they ran out of numbers and are trying to squeeze everything into existing ones

Oddly enough, they've never used 87 and 88. These would have been a perfect fit, between the TI-Z80 series and the TI-68k series, for this year's TI-eZ80 models.

Quote:
the whatever-the-French-version-of-the-TI-84-Plus-CE-with-the-testing-LED-is

That is the 83 Premium CE. Its features are superior, thanks to an exact math engine the 84+CE doesn't have, and the announced price tag would make the 83PCE cheaper than the 84+CE.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Quote:
the whatever-the-French-version-of-the-TI-84-Plus-CE-with-the-testing-LED-is

That is the 83 Premium CE. Its features are superior, thanks to an exact math engine the 84+CE doesn't have, and the announced price tag would make the 83PCE cheaper than the 84+CE.

I knew about that, but I thought there was a version of the 84 Plus CE with the only addition being the testing LED, like the TI-84 Plus CE-T or something. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yup, there's indeed the 84+CE-T, whose only (AFAWK at the current time) addition is the testing LED. But that's precisely the non-French model, which is why I replied about the 83PCE Smile
Not sure why there are separate 84+CE and 84+CE-T models. Given what many testing regulation authorities mandate (sadly), only the model with a testing LED makes some sense in many countries anyway.
Hey, what do you know, I actually got the name right! (TI 84 Plus CE-T)

Lionel Debroux wrote:
Yup, there's indeed the 84+CE-T, whose only (AFAWK at the current time) addition is the testing LED. But that's precisely the non-French model, which is why I replied about the 83PCE Smile
Not sure why there are separate 84+CE and 84+CE-T models. Given what many testing regulation authorities mandate (sadly), only the model with a testing LED makes some sense in many countries anyway.

Maybe because the 84+CE is cheaper, to make and/or to buy? I don't actually know if the CE-T would be any more expensive to buy than the CE, but certainly it would be a tiny bit cheaper to produce?

I don't think that's the reason though, actually. Because it has to be more expensive to produce two different models of calculators than to just have one TI-84 Plus CE that has the testing LED.

I would say that there would need to be two slightly different versions of the software, too, as one would have to have code to control the LED. But I wouldn't put it past TI to have a 'floating GPIO' pin on the ASIC that's only connected on the CE-T, but still gets turned controlled by both models.

You confuse me, TI.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours