I posted this screenie in chat a little while ago when talking about some CSE scrolling issues. It's from my doomed contest entry that I am *hoping* to have more progress on in coming months.

Basically it's like Mario, but featuring cats (due to the contest).

I think I might only get it to demo stage (especially due to the CE coming out), with a level to run and jump in, some simple enemies and stuff.

To satisfy the space element, well it is a different planet and all, but I was going to have a starfield effect in the background as well.

Note that for some reason its really jerky in the emulator, not so much on calc.
This looks amazing! Stop teasing me with Mario games and Zelda games that you don't plan to bring to fruition and start finishing them already. Wink Or if you must, delegate them to someone like Merth or tifreak that has xLIBC experience and way too much free time on their hands.
Is this programmed in BASIC or Asm?
Oh I should say that it is in ASM. At the moment it has a 30fps frame limiter on it, but it does work at 60fps etc.
If that's asm, I would be very happy to have source to look at and learn from. Just putting that out there. Very Happy
No probs, im planning to finish this to a demo - for which you can see the code.

Note that I started this like 2 days before the end of the contest and havent worked on it much since.

It uses some very lame code due to trying to code it quickly ... there is pretty much a hacked sprite routine that draws everything at present.

Still, the code will be released no worries.
I like the alternating colors giving added appearance of depth on the large blocks.
Very nice work on this! Smile It looks like you redraw the screen after the shift; is there a reason for this? Great job; I had gotten mine working after your advice, but it is interesting to see how else it can be implemented. Smile
At first i thought this was using xLIBC and i was thinking there was no way that could be possible (though having seen your other demos, i wasn't absolutely sure of that). Seeing that it's in ASM makes more sense, but still really impressive. The world looks beautiful (though the blue background looks a bit odd to me). tr1p1ea, you are truly the master of demos!
The blue background is because it's in space (due to the contest 0x5) ... Im planning a starfield sort of thing in the background as well.

Mateo: I actually draw it before ... but for some reason the emulator is picking it up funny. Though the way I have it set, it can be switched around pretty easily.

[EDIT 16/12/2016]:

Since there are some platform games starting to appear for the CE, I thought I would look at porting this project over to the newer platform Smile. Progress so far (not a lot):

This is cool, tr1p1ea! I like the physics. How many pixels are you scrolling per frame? I assume you're redrawing the entire screen and flipping vram each frame?
Thanks man, the scrolling amount is based on the velocity of the player which is just in 8.8 fixed-point ... the value there shows the x-velocity which gets up to 310 or ~1.21-pixels per frame I suppose, though it is adjustable depending on the object type.

And yes it redraws each frame due to the ease of animated tiles and such.

EDIT - I have been working on the sprites for the main character and decided to give it a crazy theme (like Cat's in Space isn't crazy enough...) and call it "Pirate Space Kitties", hence the eye-patch.

Pretty slow progress but working on the main sprite animation at present as well as a basic star-field for some depth ... maybe.

Awesome! I love the main character animation, and the parallax background is a nice touch too.

It looks like you're using 8x8 sprites scaled up x2, is that right? I'm impressed with the frame rate given you're nearly using the whole screen!
This looks pretty cool! I like how the cat has to accelerate to run.
That level look a little too much like the first level of Oriam. (of course I don't know what your other levels will look like)
If you wanted to include a lot of variety of levels, maybe you could take some from people who have created their own Oriam levels. Idea Smile
Also will you include a level editor?

Keep up the great work! Very Happy
JamesV yes it is in half res mode and seems to run pretty good so far - hopefully it will continue to stay that way.

TheLastMillennial yeah it's a test level inspired by the first SMB3 level ... which I guess is what the first Oriam level is inspired by too Smile.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Thanks man, the scrolling amount is based on the velocity of the player which is just in 8.8 fixed-point ... the value there shows the x-velocity which gets up to 310 or ~1.21-pixels per frame I suppose, though it is adjustable depending on the object type.

And yes it redraws each frame due to the ease of animated tiles and such.

EDIT - I have been working on the sprites for the main character and decided to give it a crazy theme (like Cat's in Space isn't crazy enough...) and call it "Pirate Space Kitties", hence the eye-patch.

Pretty slow progress but working on the main sprite animation at present as well as a basic star-field for some depth ... maybe.

Just noticed that the black on the avatar blends (slightly) with the dark blue background. Perhaps change it to a brown or tan?

EDIT:
I know it is supposed to be an eye patch, so instead change to background to something lighter like rgb(25, 25, 150). I am no expert, though.

EDIT^2:
Maybe add a little more height to the jump, and make the kitty "hang" for a little longer, as it is in space. It seems to me that you are using parabolas (or something along those lines) for the gravity, so this wouldn't be too hard.

Good job so far, it is really coming along nicely!
I could change the background to be lighter, though the blending is mainly due to screenshot capture and not so apparent in the emu or on calc.

The jumping and stuff is easily configurable and does still need to be tweaked, ill check out a higher jump as suggested.

Thanks for the feedback Smile.
Simply amazing! So smoooooooth.

You're making me want to purchase a TI-84CE.
What do you guys think about a 2nd stars layer?

tr1p1ea wrote:
What do you guys think about a 2nd stars layer?
I think that's a silly question.. Razz It looks great!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours