Not sure if this has been done before, but I got this idea reading chapter two of the programming kermbook and I wanted to see if I could do it. Basically you type in a question or sentence and you get a random answer from your calculator. I'm doing this in BASIC on my 84+SE emulator with some DoorsCS stuff so I can get used to using a shell and appvars and all that jazz.
My hope for this was to kind of give me a bit of a jump start back into BASIC programming and I wasn't sure I was going to even post this until everyone was like "Posf it! Posf it!" so here it is.
I'm about half way done with it as of the date of this topic. Still not sure if I'm going to add it to the archives or just put up a download or something. Maybe if I get enough persuasion I'll upload, but I'm not sure this would really qualify for being in the archives Neutral
Yes the name is still up in the air kind of, so if I choose a different name I'll change the topic name or something. I will definitely be asking questions here as I am still unfamiliar with how lists work (I am starting to kind of get it, don't worry Razz)
If you saw me say in SAX and IRC a little while back that I was working on something secret, this is it.
You should make a secret setting to activate nikkybot mode. Razz
Sounds cool I was thinking about doing a bot of my own, but it would be kind of weird.
Haha, this is kind of ironic because this part:
Quote:
Basically you type in a question and you get a random answer...

reminds me greatly of nikkybot. Razz Sounds like you have made some nice progress, keep up the good work! Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
reminds me greatly of nikkybot.

I will admit the randomness of nikkybot was a little bit of an inspiration as well. I wanted this to be something that would talk back to you and not just a thing where you pick a question and you get an answer based on that question. Unlike nikkybot, there is a very limited number of phrases that can be chosen from and it's definitely not going to be scary like nikkybot Razz
I am open to suggestions for things I could do and how to do them and even phrase suggestions if you like. I've got about 25 right now I could always use more (unless that will bog things down which I don't think it will but I'm not sure).
If the responses are not going to be related to the questions why bother yourself with that part of the program? Why not just have a few select questions which will have answers or a button to fetch test?

If you do want to have some connection to the questions, take a look at the Nikkybot source code (Topic)
comicIDIOT wrote:
If the responses are not going to be related to the questions why bother yourself with that part of the program? Why not just have a few select questions which will have answers or a button to fetch test?

I have looked at just having questions to pick from and there are answers related to specific kinds of questions like yes or no questions but my whole reasoning for this is it's more fun to get a random answer you're not expecting than to just pick a question and get an answer for it. Most of the phrases I have written would work for things like "Would this work?" "Should I do this?" and the like without being directly related to those questions. Makes it more fun I think.
If there is a way to directly relate what the user types in to the answers then I would definitely like to learn, but I am doing this is BASIC so I'm not sure if that's a thing or if it's super slow or something. I want this to be as interactive as possible which is why I'm steering away from just picking a ready-made question/answer pair.
Project is done! Very Happy I think this is my first non contest project whoooo Very Happy
Definitely going to do more in the future and I might expand on this idea a bit more at least for learning purposes.

Here's a video of it as well: http://t.co/oiK2UYvud8
I know I sound 12 ;~;
Congrats on completion!! It's an awesome program and an awesome idea! Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours