Should mobileTunes CSE have a mouse?
Yes
 32%  [ 13 ]
No
 67%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 40

So for the past couple days I've been working on the format and created a small program to test out the mouse routine. This program is getting there; and Kerm and I will hopefully be working together to put a mobileTunes port to the CSE. So far, the current progress can load, play, and display music; functions such as shuffle and repeat would also be kind of nice to look into. The format is exactly the same as the original mobileTunes; and can hopefully be used with the online creator made by Kerm. Smile

Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated! Smile
This looks really great, MateoConLechuga! I'm hoping we can use my mobileTunes audio core to add things like a song progress bar and fast forward/reverse controls, as in mobileTunes itself. As I suggested in my PM, I'd be interested in calling this something like mobileTunes CSE 3 (or 4) if you're amenable. Do you have a version control system of choice (git/hg), or shall we pass source back and forth? I continue to be immeasurably excited about your many CSE projects!
Wow, could it be possible to add a way to let the user make their own music using preset keys that make like a piano sound?
Finally! Thank you for making this!
Only suggestion is to make it as good as mobileTunes for now. By the way, the cursor is unnecessary - mobileTunes had no more need of a cursor than DCS7, and in the spirit of DCSE it could certainly be chucked (function keys control).
CalebHansberry wrote:
Finally! Thank you for making this!
Only suggestion is to make it as good as mobileTunes for now. By the way, the cursor is unnecessary - mobileTunes had no more need of a cursor than DCS7, and in the spirit of DCSE it could certainly be chucked (function keys control).

Ah, I do see what you mean. It would make navigation a lot easier; just press up and down to change the song rather than pressing the song with the mouse. That just means that I'll have to find something else to use the mouse routine for. Wink
You could use it for gossamer! (If that could be ported along with gCn)
I also never really cared for the mouse. In my opinion, it's much easier just to press up/down and use the function keys for things like fast forward, rewind, pause, etc.

So CSE Music Player/mobileTunes CSE can already play music? Nice work, Kerm/Mateo!
chickendude wrote:
I also never really cared for the mouse. In my opinion, it's much easier just to press up/down and use the function keys for things like fast forward, rewind, pause, etc.

So CSE Music Player/mobileTunes CSE can already play music? Nice work, Kerm/Mateo!

Thanks! So even though I know it is tied in the polls right now, I've decided that the UI is many times easier to use without the mouse. You simply select a song, press [2nd] and it plays.

(Probably add an option to change colors as well. Smile )

KermM wrote:
This looks really great, MateoConLechuga! I'm hoping we can use my mobileTunes audio core to add things like a song progress bar and fast forward/reverse controls, as in mobileTunes itself. As I suggested in my PM, I'd be interested in calling this something like mobileTunes CSE 3 (or 4) if you're amenable. Do you have a version control system of choice (git/hg), or shall we pass source back and forth? I continue to be immeasurably excited about your many CSE projects!

Cool, that would be fantastic! I might have to exchange emails with you for the initial code; I am fine using gitHub or something along those lines, just never tried it out myself. Smile One thing that I am dealing with right now is the issue with archived songs. Is there a specific place I can extract the data that would be the most reasonable?
I'm not sure what exactly you've got to do with the data, but couldn't you just read it directly from archive? You could check how many bytes are left in the page so you don't have to do something like this every time you want to move to the next byte:

Code:
loadNextHL:
   inc hl
checkOverflow:
   ld a,h
   res 7,h         ;bit 7 = $8000+
   set 6,h         ;bit 6 = $4000+
   cp h
    ret z
      in a,(6)   ;load next FLASH page
      inc a
      out (6),a
      ret
..which basically loops $4000-$7FFF over and over (and moves to the next flash page on overflow). If you know how many bytes are left until $8000 you don't need to check every time.

Otherwise, the CSE has extra RAM pages, right?

EDIT: Also, i think it looks much better without the mouse. I like the scrolling list of song titles!
Wow! This looks awesome! Could I be a beta tester for this program? Seeing as I have the equipment to test the program right on hand? You can say no, but please consider. Smile
Also, I think since some people want the mouse and some don't, could you make the mouse an option somehow. Sorry that I can't give any help with coding as I don't know assembly, but that's all! Great job here!
Botboy3000 wrote:
Wow! This looks awesome! Could I be a beta tester for this program? Seeing as I have the equipment to test the program right on hand? You can say no, but please consider. Smile
Also, I think since some people want the mouse and some don't, could you make the mouse an option somehow. Sorry that I can't give any help with coding as I don't know assembly, but that's all! Great job here!

Hmm... adding mouse functionality might work, but it is a little easier to do everything with just the keys.... If it is really needed though, I'll see if it can be brought back. As for beta testing, I'm going to send the files over to Kerm first so that way some more features can things can be added in first. Smile Hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer though! Sorry about the wait; just been rather busy with school and life at the moment. Smile
Oh, That's ok. I understand. This is the time of the year when all the teachers decide to have a big project and 3 tests on the same day. It's always in February too.
When this project does go in the archives, will there be a new subcategory called "TI-84 pcse sound?" Kinda like in the TI-83/84 section? Kerm will decide I think. This is great though! Smile
How much space do the songs take up?
ralphworthington74 wrote:

Depends on how long the song is; but songs can also be stored in the archive to save space. Plus they can also be made AppVars so that way they don't clutter the program menu. Smile
ralphworthington74 wrote:

if its the same as for the original version, it should be somewhere around 2-7 kb per song, really depends on the length of the song Smile
I spent some time last night and today working on MobileTunes 3 CSE, if we will indeed be calling it that. Among the things I did:
  • Added Doors CSE 8 header
  • Removed custom 1-bit sprite routine, converted code to Doors CSE 8 1-bit sprite routine
  • Modified custom text-display engine to use Doors CSE 8 1-bit sprite routine
  • Modified QuadPlayer-like song-playing code to be more like the mobileTunes 3 song-playing code. It allows arbitrary fast-forwarding and reversing, pausing, and stopping.
  • Added the slider code from mobileTunes 3, modified for the CSE
  • Re-arranged UI to put slider and play/pause icon at the bottom of the screen
  • Miscellaneous code cleanup and refactoring
  • Re-enabled actual sound output by commenting the port 0 out opcode back in, tested with "Tenth Man Down".

Nice work Kerm! Looks pretty spiffy! Smile I like the part where you re-enabled the actual sound output; totally forgot that I did that. Razz Also, now that I understand the DCSE routines better, I believe I will take more advantage of them. Wink I'm thinking a couple GUI things could be moved around a tad; but other than that, thank you!
Do tell; what are your ideas? I was planning to experiment with continuing to make the area at the bottom look more like the mobileTunes 3 interface, with the different on-screen buttons mapped to the F1-F5 keys on the keyboard, but please do let me know if you would prefer we go in a different direction.
No; that sounds like a good idea. Smile Maybe a box around the slider position, and perhaps some up and down arrows on the list if there are more songs than can be displayed, sort of like disappearing scroll buttons. Also, an option to change the screen background by pressing a key might work too. Just some random ideas; not really too crucial to the overall program though. Wink
I wouldn't complain about a hotkey to switch between light and dark themes, certainly. Smile And with the magic of SMC, it would stick with no extra effort. As long as you're okay with the idea of more organization down near the slider and buttons, I'll go ahead and toy with that when I have free time for programming. Shall I send back the source now, or do you have other projects to keep you occupied while I gradually work on this?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours