Very cool Smile
Thanks! *bump* I recently tried to print the case bottom-side-down with Slic3r slicing and supports, after I discovered the proper Z-offset for my printer, but the results were subpar to say the least due to curling, poor adhesion, and bridges that were too long. After much experimentation, I tried CuraEngine to slice this time, flipped it over so the logo would print on top, and tried again. Here's the result (click to enlarge, as always):

Unfortunately, I cut up my fingers a bit trying to get off that beastly support structure, so next time I'm going to try to increase the XY distance (and probably print the whole case). I also experimented with painting the letters, but I'm not really feeling it. Finally, notice how high the quality is compared to what XYZware came up with.

What model 3D printer do you have?
Hitechcomputergeek wrote:

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10958&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
elfprince13 wrote:

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10958&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Would it be possible to print this on another 3D printer like a MakerBot?
elfprince13 wrote:

Would it be possible to print this on another 3D printer like a MakerBot?

Most definitely if he is sharing the STL! That being said I do not know if he has made it publicly available yet.
I have not made it publicly available; if I do, I'm not sure if I'll post anything except the one with the Cemetech logo.

So yesterday, I tried a print "rightside-up" (ie, bottom of the slidecase down), and the bridges across the letters computed by CuraEngine came out really poorly. However, when I tried something similar with Slic3r a few days ago, things went equally badly, so I don't necessarily blame Cura for this. Here's what happened when I tried printing it this way with a raft (but look how great that fit is!):

With Jonimus's extremely patient help last night, I succeeded in turning the CEMETECH text into an outline. I also tried to taper the logo inwards towards the back of the logo, to make the bridges smaller. The following images show how that came out. Any opinions on what looks the best?

It might just be me, but I kind of like the outlined version. Smile Nice work on sticking with this, 3D printing looks like it isn't a cake walk! Very Happy
MateoConLechuga wrote:
It might just be me, but I kind of like the outlined version. Smile Nice work on sticking with this, 3D printing looks like it isn't a cake walk! Very Happy
Thank you; it's turning out to be almost as nuanced as assembly programming. Wink I didn't love the outlined version at first, but once I sanded it, stared at it a while, and asked around, the consensus seems to be that the outline is the best. That will be the one that gets printed today!
*bump* As a partial Valentine's Day gift to my girlfriend, I printed a modified form of the Cemetech slidecase (don't worry, I got nifty exotic chocolate as well). I will try to make it to the office to print a Cemetech case today, as I suspect that will look particularly spiffy with my current outline text. Without further ado, the photos: first, the slidecase fresh off the extruder (click to enlarge).

Here it is in the midst of having its raft peeled off, then getting sanded with progressively finer grits of sandpaper:

Finally, after some ill-advised acetone smoothing with insufficient ventilation. Hey, at least I remembered to wear rubber gloves while applying the acetone this time!
How is the fit around the calculator from the other side?
tifreak8x wrote:
How is the fit around the calculator from the other side?
If you mean at the bottom and sides of the case, practically perfect. Check out the photo from Friday night, a few posts up:

I made it about 1/16" too deep, though, so it's a little far from the keys when it's slid over the front, but not enough to be noticeable. For the Cemetech one I want to print today, I've reduced the depth by 1/16".
Wow Kerm!! You did a great job on those cases! They look amazing! I can't wait for the actual Cemetech ones! If they're as awesome as that one then I suspect lots of people are going to want to get their hands on them. This is so cool! Smile
I'm sorry that it took me six days to get these photos posted; I've been dragging my feet on it for some reason. Anyway, here are some photos of the Cemetech slidecase at last.

How much will those be getting sold for? Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
How much will those be getting sold for? Smile
They take five and a half hours of printing work, about 14 meters of ABS filament, and at least an hour of sanding and acetone smoothing, so they'd probably cost dozens of dollars if I paid myself a fair wage. Therefore, I will be making very, very few of them. I may bring one to T^3 2015 to give to Peter Balyta, I may include one as a special contest prize, and I may send one to an administrator or two who has shown exemplary work that I feel deserves recognition. Wink I unfortunately don't have the time or resources to offer them to the general public.
Same boat as my wooden ones are in there.

They look very good and very accurate, I wish to offer congratulations on success. Now, of you could reasonably easily change what is stamped onto the back, you certainly could sell them for dozens of dollars.

And as I know is expected I'd be plenty willing to cut and finish them to get more of them made while saving your time.
KermMartian wrote:
I'm sorry that it took me six days to get these photos posted; I've been dragging my feet on it for some reason. Anyway, here are some photos of the Cemetech slidecase at last.

Those look pretty awesome! That reason wouldn't have anything to do with keeping a certain surprise under wraps would it?
No, I already gave Tori her slidecase wrapped around a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, and she's going to start learning some TI-BASIC programming. Smile I'm printing a second Cemetech slidecase in red ABS today, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the first one.
Hey, if you're done with the model, could I please have the .sldprt and .stl? I think I'm going to 3D print a case for my calculator, as the original one that came with it disappeared. (Seriously. On my way to geometry class one day, I was thirsty, so I made a side stop at the water fountain. On my way there, I dropped my calculator and the pieces fell, so I just decided to scoop the pieces up as I was carrying other stuff too. Once I got my drink of water, I reassembled the calculator... and realized that the slide case was missing. Obviously, I looked all over the hall for it, but it was nowhere to be seen. And it's not like there was anywhere in the hall where it COULD have gotten lost, either...)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours