Is there such a device that can be placed on a circuit (like a voltage regulator) that can switch imputs if the voltage on an input is below or above a certain threshold? I'm trying to build a efficient transformer and I need to detect a wide variety of input voltages and switch modes, specifically, I need 3v-11v to be switched to "Boost" mode where they go to a boost circuit I have designed, 13v-45v to go to a "Step down" converter circuit I have made and when the voltage is 0.1v - 3v I need it to be switched to a JFET voltage booster.

I have looked all over the nets for such a chip but haven't found anything. Also I need the switching to happen at realtime as the voltage drops. (Switching from regulate to boost mode)
What you want is a buck/boost controller, something like the MC33063. The input voltage range you're looking for is a pretty tall order though.
I have looked at TI's buck/boost controllers but they all seem limited around 1.5A I'm looking for something around 3-6A

EDIT: I have already built the "Step-Down" converter consisting of 5 12V voltage regulators wired in parallel with load balancing diodes and capacitors. I haven't build the boost 3-11v part since im missing the booster chip but I have built the boost 0.1-3v converter. Im just looking for a way to autodetect the input voltage and direct to the appropriate circuits via Relays or something equivelant
The simple solution to switching would be a few analog comparators referenced against your input, which implies you'll need some way to generate reference voltages of approx. 3 and 12 volts.

What are you trying to do that has such a wide input range and high current demands though?
Tom wrote:
I have looked at TI's buck/boost controllers but they all seem limited around 1.5A I'm looking for something around 3-6A
I haven't build the boost 3-11v part since im missing the booster chip but I have built the boost 0.1-3v converter.

12 V @ 5 A output? From a 0.1 V input? There's no way you have a 0.1 volt source that can supply 600 amps (unless you've purpose-built such a ridiculous device).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours