Blender works, but isn't necessarily ideal. It shouldn't be worse than SketchUp though.
Quote:

It shouldn't be worse than SketchUp though.

I asked because he said he was using SketchUp Wink
http://www.newslinq.com/derby-the-dog/

I know it's not something that someone from here has built, but it's still awesome. Just cool what 3D printing can do for anyone Smile
I'm a bit late to the party, but that is pretty cool. I didn't know 3D printing was available for mortals (of course, I don't really follow the tech, anyway Razz). That sounds like a really useful way to fix/make things, too!
tifreak8x wrote:
http://www.newslinq.com/derby-the-dog/

I know it's not something that someone from here has built, but it's still awesome. Just cool what 3D printing can do for anyone Smile
Definitely cool. I caught that story on Hackaday earlier today, and was sufficiently impressed both by the technology and the humanity.

Travis wrote:
I'm a bit late to the party, but that is pretty cool. I didn't know 3D printing was available for mortals (of course, I don't really follow the tech, anyway Razz). That sounds like a really useful way to fix/make things, too!
Definitely, I'm looking forward to that being one of my printer's uses, after I find a reliable, fast piece of modeling software. I'm particularly excited about making project cases (and calculator cases).

This evening, after discussing a broken model with Jonimus, I tried printing a (different) Viper model, unfortunately not of my own design. The Viper is a fighter space plane from the show Battlestar Galactica. I printed mine as a single piece, scaled down about 50% from the model's original size. It took 6 meters of filament and about two hours. As you can see, I used supports, but some of the edges were still too thin to come out well. In the second image, I have acetone-smoothed the right half of the model, but not yet the left.

Travis wrote:
I'm a bit late to the party, but that is pretty cool. I didn't know 3D printing was available for mortals

Are you implying that Kerm is mortal? Razz

That looks nice. Could it have possibly printed better if it were vertically? that way there might be less of the contours which happen when you print it flat.
That looks nice.
KermMartian wrote:
Definitely, I'm looking forward to that being one of my printer's uses, after I find a reliable, fast piece of modeling software. I'm particularly excited about making project cases (and calculator cases).

OpenSCAD is a neat 3D modeling program, instead of using normal methods, you write code to make the object. It's kinda hard to explain, so here's the link: http://www.openscad.org/
Hooloovoo wrote:
That looks nice. Could it have possibly printed better if it were vertically? that way there might be less of the contours which happen when you print it flat.
This is a great idea. I'm printing this now, 50% larger and on its end. So far the only failure is that the backwards-sloping part of the top fin did not come out properly, because the supports underneath it were insufficient.
I bought this same model 3D printer and set it up, and printed the sample water fountain / cup thing.
BrandonW wrote:
I bought this same model 3D printer and set it up, and printed the sample water fountain / cup thing.
Excellent! I hope you'll let us know your experiences with it. I'm still waiting for geekboy to post his Repetier tutorial. Smile
I'd be incredibly pleased if someone printed me a Fibonacci Zoetrope Sculpture, or or two. Obviously I'd pay for material and shipping. Also got me thinking about other ideas, such as printing 3D representations of fractals.
I would be more then willing to comic. Those are really cool and fractals are just fun Razz that being said we can figure logistics out once KermM has his printers working to the best of its capabilities (read i get unlazy)
That's fine, no rush. I'm gunna look up and figure out how to port fractals to a 3D file and we'll go from there. But the Zoetrope structures should already have files via Instructables - unless we want to make one out of a Cemetech logo or something.

Made some grommets for use at work. Pretty much just things to put around the smaller SMA connectors (Size of a #6 SAE nut) so we do not kill our fingers.

Those are the iterative process I took with the design. Still needs minor tweaking but its good Very Happy
Also first thing i did with solid works
Very nice work, geekboy. I notice that some of the details seem shaky at best; is that the printer's fault or the model? The last one seems markedly smoother and rounder than the rest; did you do much more acetone smoothing on it?
No acetone smoothing actually (seems my reply to this specifically got cut to the split thread. NBD) just a much more refined print settings+model. Some more effort and a ton of support from jonimus and we now have this

No acetone again. Did not need it surprisingly enough! Also dat orange. Hopefully I wont lose these at work! The one on the left is printed 2x as thick which imo is better for grip. All in all I am pretty happy with this.

Edit: better image
SMA Tools FTW! You also need a 5/16 box end wrench to get them snugged down, but not too tight..
Did you use a higher-than-XYZware temperature to print these? Because they look extremely smooth, and I want to do whatever you did on this on my calculator case model.
Haha yeah we have torque wrenches at work and the whole 9 yards Razz These are to replace the rather annoying rubber grommets we use at work and give us a better grip on the connectors when they do not need torquing
KermMartian wrote:
Did you use a higher-than-XYZware temperature to print these? Because they look extremely smooth, and I want to do whatever you did on this on my calculator case model.

I printed them at 230c and with a 90c bed temperature at .2mm layer height and at a general 60mm/s speed and a 30mm/s external perimiter/top layer speed. I have no idea how you can tell xyzware to do that. That being said I can most definitely walk you through setting up repetier and you can use that or i can slice it and send the gcode over to you.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours